Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Today was a good day. Pretty day; sunny and hot. My sweet husband gave me yellow roses for our anniversary. We decided to try out a new mexican restaurant and waited until around 2 p.m. to let the lunch crowd die out. Food was delicious and we were stuffed.

When our waitress took the money for the tab to the cashier, she brought back way too much change... the bill was around $80 (food, margaritas, one dessert) and my husband gave her a $100 bill. I think the cashier got confused and returned over $80 to us as change. My husband told the young waitress that she had given us too much money and tried to explain. She tried to figure out how much change we should have and finally he ended up telling her to just keep it (since he was going to tip her 20% anyway.)

On our way home we wondered if she understood what had happened or if she just pocketed all the money. No skin off our noses either way. I always wonder how people get through life not knowing how to count change.

2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
    Happy you had a good day on your Anniversary.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm glad you had a nice anniversary. Mexican is always a good choice, especially in Tejas.

I had a similar "making change" issue many years ago when getting gas at the start of vacation. I got $19 worth of gas, gave the guy a twenty, and he gave me $19 back. I tried to explain the mistake and he got nasty with me...so I started my vacation with a $1 tank of gas.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, y'all. I'm just happy that my husband and I have had a pretty good life together, all things considered!! (He needs hazard pay and a medal for putting up with me, tho. :D )

@John Brunner -- it's just sad how they get that deer-in-the-headlights look and nearly panic when someone is trying to explain the math. And don't ever try to give them coins so that you can get back dollar bills... OMG. o_O

It wasn't even the waitress's fault since she took the money to the cashier and brought back the change. There was even a printed receipt for Pete's sake.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've had them give me back the coinage, saying "You gave me too much," then process the folding money and give me back even more coinage.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Happy Belated Anniversary, Beth.

anniversary.gif

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It's been a quiet Father's Day. We just ate and the better half is in his happy place... stretched out on the sofa in the den. :D Earlier I piddled around in the yard and re-arranged potted plants, doing a little trimming. Then I suited up and dragged out my pool float. Armed with my insulated mug of ice water and my Kindle, I floated around for about 45 minutes till I thought I might be turning pink. I got my week's worth of vitamin D.

We really need to have new flooring in the house. Most of the downstairs is wood flooring over the concrete slab, original to the house (built in 1994!) It has been a good floor for all the years, kids, dogs, etc.... but last week the sink in the half bath developed a water supply leak that we didn't notice for a day or so. Water seeped between the wood floor and the concrete, causing the wood to swell and get kind of crinkly on top in the hallway. :confused:

I have wanted new flooring for a while but I know that will be so much work and inconvenience. Having new flooring installed is like moving... everything has to be removed from the rooms and then put back. UGH. I used to wonder why my parents and grandparents didn't do a lot of "home improvements" when they got older and now I know why.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Hope you had a good anniversary Beth.. sorry am late in acknowledging