Self Check Out -vs- Store Cashier Line

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

It is only going to get worse. A new store called Five Below (not a grocery store) just opened. All automated no checkers.
    I don't mind checking out a few of my groceries- but when I have a lot- I want them to do that. I always bag better than they were taught, so don't mind that part.

2. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

It's a love/hate relationship with me. If I have just a few items with distinct code tags on them and there are 15 people waiting at the 20-items-or-less lane, I'll use the self check. Otherwise, I'll pick the shortest line (usually that turns out to be the "wrong" line)and wait it out.

Don Alaska, Bess Barber and Von Jones like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell
    While in high school, my wife worked at Scott's, the largest grocery supermarkets in Ft. Wayne. They were 24/7. She remarks bitterly about how poorly trained today's checkers are, and the lack of understanding of proper bagging. While there, she memorized all the various codes, knew the daily sale prices on produce, which changed often, the check-out person did much by rote of what today's computerized systems do.
    Frank

Don Alaska and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  4. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw someplace where Wal Mart was going to close 79 stores. 12 cashiers will be affected!

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

We won't use self check out, doing people out of a job doesn't appeal to us and the more shoppers object
    the cashiers will keep their jobs

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My usual routine on Sundays is flea market then to stop at Kroger. Last Sunday at Kroger only one cashier working. In front of me at checkout two people one being serviced with her cart full (top and bottom), the person in front of me and myself cart full (top and bottom). I considered doing self check out which I have never done before with the amount of groceries I had but decided to wait. Then when the first the lady pulled out a handful of coupons :eek:. I headed over to the self check out. A staff person at the self check out suggested the lane I just left I shook my head - no, I'm good. That was one of the funniest experiences I ever had shopping. I was calling for help because of items not registering - 'Please put item in the bagging area.' Help is on the way.'; I did three payouts because you can only put so much on the bagging area. The staff person bought over an empty cart when she saw what I was doing - a big help (thanked her). I'm sure the security guard had an interesting story to tell at the end of his day. :rolleyes:

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree, Von... self checkout is kind of fun. :D I'm not good at standing in line while my ice cream melts, so I always go for the most expedient way out of the store. (Not that I always make the right choice in that regard, lol.)

Bess Barber and Von Jones like this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Von Jones "I'm sure the security guard had an interesting story to tell at the end of his day."

And, I am sure most would agree with me that your description of the events kept us wondering from start to finish.....what was going to happen. Have you considered writing a novel?

And, your longest post ever! Neat!
    Frank

Von Jones likes this.
  9. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

:p

images - 2019-08-11T164835.818.jpeg

I live in the part of Jacksonville where the WalMart doesn't have self checkout because of too many shop lifters. There is a security guard at the door instead. We have pockets of nice neighborhoods, but are surrounded by many other things.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I try and shop Walmart in early morning...and never on the week end...Winco not that far away.

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I prefer to shop online and have it delivered.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2019
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Next they'll be wanting to stock the shelves!
    [​IMG]

13. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

images - 2019-08-12T123011.290.jpeg

If you have one of these, you can thread the grocery bags in it, carry by the aluminum handle and all the bags won't cut into your hand. You can get any cheap version of it.

images - 2019-08-12T123132.008.jpeg

Don Alaska, Bobby Cole and Joe Riley like this.
  14. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Lon would you still prefer delivery if you were more mobile and had your own transportation?
    I enjoy getting out into the community,meeting and greeting with my neighbors. Watching life drive by on the street.
    A big danger with the senior population,(of which I am not quite there yet) is self isolation. Limiting yourself to a microcosm of life seems self defeating.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to shop at Kroger all the time. I miss that store.
    Five Below - Love that place.
    Self Check Out - Copy.jpg
    Self Check Out - If I could, I would.