Selling On Ebay

Discussion in 'Self Employment' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is how i found the $40 from the previous day, @Von Jones , and the last $175 bid didn’t even show. I thought about it last night, and I think that someone had bid the $12 and then put on a cap of $40, so when I looked at it, it only showed a few bids and not very high.
    I am guessing that the seller himself placed the high bid on there, which forced the bid up past the last highest actual bidder (the $40 bid), and then the seller cancelled out his high bid of $175, leaving the $40 bid as the winner.
    This is the only thing that I can think of that fits all of the facts of what happened, and it is probably legal, although very unethical for the seller to do this.
    If I hadn’t happened to have been trying to bid at the exact same time as the seller was raising the bid to beyond the highest cap bid, I would never have seen this, and just assumed that the iPad had sold for the $40 high bid, like the bidding entries showed.
    In any case, I am not leaving any cap bids from now on, most likely.

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith another way is if a bidder contacted the seller and made the $40 offer and the seller accepted seeing that the last bid was for $17.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I went to the Missouri Auction school, held a few auctions and of course attended lots of them before that. I loved the excitement of auctions. Ebay started out to be an auction site. It is now more of a market place don'tcha think?

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

We usually buy locally, never been on Ebay. Craigslist is where we buy things like autos or equipment.

Jake Smith and Mary Stetler like this.
  5. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Marie forgot I bought the head for the truck on eBay.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I wondered how car and machine parts were from ebay.

Jake Smith likes this.
  7. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

They sell them for different small businesses, like the shop I got the head from, on eBay, which was a small business out of S.C., that sells used parts.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There are a lot of small businesses that sell on eBay, and also people with a from-home style of business. I buy almost all of my garnering seeds from someone on eBay, and most of the seeds come from farmers who grow their own food organically and use heirloom seeds. A lot of these people are also older veterans from the military, and it makes me feel good to know that I am also helping out some of our vets when i buy things from them on eBay.
    On eBay, you can find amazing seeds that the seeds catalogs and farm stores do not carry, and also starts for many plants, like fig tree starts, banana plants, or horseradish root starts. You name it, eBay probably has it on there.

Mary Stetler likes this.