Snacks

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Let me think on this for a minute. :D

2. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Bread, pasta, potatoes...:confused:

John Brunner likes this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My friend's wife who has been on an insulin pump for over 20 years recently changed insurance companies and is in a battle because her monthly consumption of insulin exceeds the norms, and they don't want to pay for all of it. My friend was recently diagnosed with a high A1C and he's able to control it through diet.

I had a salad and 2 slices of homemade Italian bread for dinner. I don't know if life would be worth living...

edit to add: I believe that pasta is neutral on the glycemic index, probably because it's made with Durham wheat.

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know what my A1C is. I DO know my sign is Aquarius. I am pretty sure everyone on the typical American diet is pre diabetic but staying on your diet is the answer, pretty much. The food industry keeps us sick to help the pharmaceutical industry.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, the GI of some pastas are lower, particularly if served al dente for some reason. :confused: The thing with diabetes is that a diabetic's body doesn't handle sugars/carbs like a "normal" person so you have to "eat to your meter" and check to see how your body responds to certain foods.

Most diabetics couldn't care less about tracking glycemic index but know that most high carb foods are on the moderation list. Doctors simplify the diet advice by saying "avoid white foods". :D Of course people like your friend's wife can eat what they please and depend on the insulin pump. My brother thought as long as he took Metformin he could just eat whatever he pleased. Drove me crazy but he was as hardheaded as me so there's that.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

So your doctor doesn't include glucose testing in your annual blood work? And yes, the typical American diet is killing a lot of people

7. Mary Stetler

Registered

I have not been to a doctor since my hip replacement in 2015. I could not take care of that myself after a fall while cutting wood.:rolleyes:

8. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

It's tough for me to understand how anyone would think twice about Eliminating the stuff one puts in their mouth which goes to their stomach and can cause so MUCH DAMAGE...... Where is anyone's WillPower....you have none, would rather be pumped up with drugs......

Getting some important labs done could be lifesaving..... Our area has walk in places if one wants to walk in and get some blood tested...

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  9. Mary Stetler

Registered

Chocolate ice cream makes it easier to understand.:rolleyes:

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Joy Martin

Registered

Some of you come across as little kids and no self control...whatever....

Mary Stetler likes this.
  11. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm on Metformin now and taking my fasting blood glucose every other day. My numbers are good, in the normal range most days or slightly over. I'm sure diet and activity helps a lot.

I'm hoping when I see the doctor next he'll suggest cutting the Metformin dose by half.

Snacking isn't completely gone, but I usually settle for something like cherry or grape tomatoes and one hot & spicy flavor Cheez-It cracker per tomato. My idea of a celebratory dessert is down to one chocolate filled chocolate Pop-Tart on a rare occasion. Warm and gooey.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

:confused: I don't know where you found a Pop-Tart with enough filling to be gooey. (I'll give you the warm, though, if you use a toaster. :D)

13. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I suppose it's all relative. And self-delusion might be a part of making my dietary changes work. As hard as I try though I haven't made boiled cauliflower a potato in my imagination.

Beth Gallagher and Mary Stetler like this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Registered

OK, Being serious. I agree with your stance of let 'food be thy medicine', totally. The food industry has poisoned us since birth (if we were bottle fed) and the WEF and uber rich will buy up our farm lands and dictate how people will eat. There are rumors they are even saying that back yard gardens have too big a carbon foot print! So we will have to eat what they say if Trump and his vp don't get in.
    On the labs, My first husband was a physician's assistant. I went to our doctor when I or the kids needed to; not on a schedule after about the age of two. I remember being forced to get a number of vaccines to keep them in school, jr high I think, and did it thinking WTF. They had the usual baby stuff already. I guess that was the beginning of the medical control trials.
    Luck, good genes and eating healthfully has kept me going. Exercising more would keep me going from here. I am old and not productive so if I have a heart attack, that would be great. I would hate to have a stroke or something that would cause me to linger. Most of the 'tests' don't prove anything in my experience so I go in when I have SYMPTOMS that I can not take care of, which is not since I needed the hip replacement. I am glad they give you comfort. All they would do is stress me and take up too much of my day.
    Nursing home or doing the best we can may be our choices but I don't go out of my way to support big pharma or the hospital industrial complexes going up in big numbers around here.

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  15. Joy Martin

Registered

At this late date, my only concern is blood sugar as I took up eatring some ice cream a couple yrs ago, I needed a treat and I eat no flour based sweets for many yrs....

I have a doc now who comes to my house, medicar pays, and she wants me to do labs for her records as I'm new with her....so the blood group also comes to my house to do the draw.....

You don't complain about your hip replacement, so I'm guessing it's been good and mine was so NOT good.. I had the anterior approach, and what about you? I've heard some surgeons no longer do the anterior due to issues and I know that one. thanks