So What If Billionaire Companies Don't Pay Taxes

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

They have thousands of employees that do and typically provide Employee Benefits like Health Insurance, 401 K Plans, Paid Vacations,Deferred Compensation, Life & Disability Insurance.

SO LETS TAX THEM BIG TIME AND THEY CAN GET RID OF ALL THOSE DAMN EMPLOYEES AND LET THE GOBBLEMENT PROVIDE FOR THEM.

2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

For me, paying taxes is like paying rent to get to live in the USA. I think it's a privilege to pay them.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I always get annoyed when people mouth off about corporations "not paying taxes." Here are the 10 that pay the most taxes... https://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/01/08/companies-paying-the-most-taxes/2/

From the article...

According to the New York Times, from 2007 to 2012 ExxonMobil had a total earnings of $395 billion and paid $146 billion in taxes to governments around the world, for an effective tax rate of 37%.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Have you been watching the Democrat debates?

5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

You mean DEBACLE Don't you Ken?

Tom Galty likes this.
  6. Rene Descartes

Rene Descartes Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The problem with the US corporate tax code is that it was too high, but the new tax act brought it down to one of the lowest, however, the government still tax corporations based on the location of headquarters and most corporations (Apple for example) have moved their headquarters out of US borders. Now, they are paying more corporate tax to countries like China and Canada. I find that ironic.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Rene Descartes

Beyond ironic, I say. Rather moronic. Strong word, yes. In my ideal-world way, I see Americans designing, planning, raising, growing, harvesting, building products for Americans, in companies and on farms utilizing the equipment designed and built by Americans, who are employed by those companies. If foreign firms desire to purchase our stuff, let them only have access to the excess produced. Not the other way around. The U.S. exports 85%, it is said, of it's Soybean crop to China. Then, instead of using the Soybeans here to make plastic products, as well as feed the hungry, America winds up buying the beans BACK from China, spending dollars earned producing who-knows-what.

What a dreamer this old man is!
    Frank

8. Rene Descartes

Rene Descartes Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I found an interesting article about that very topic.
    https://modernfarmer.com/2016/02/imported-edamame/
    Other than different types of soybeans, also consider climate differences. The US imports produce from countries that are having their harvest season during our winter season. The US also imports billions of barrels of crude oil a year, then export billions of barrels refined oil. Most of what the government does might not seem to make sense, but it actually does when it comes to trade with trade partners.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Rene Descartes
    I prefer being alone. :rolleyes:

Frank

Edit: BTW, thank you for the most-interesting link!

Rene Descartes likes this.