So .. What's for Dinner?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Mal Campbell, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I know Cody, it's similar here...fast food is easy and popular among many and not just the young.. however young people tend to be able to burn off fat generally speaking, playing sports and all sorts of exercise, whereas we as we get older, and cut back on exercise, and bear in mind our hearts and arteries have also furred over the years.. have to be much more careful about what we eat to prevent serious illness.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Totally agree with you! We have changed our diet, somewhat. Of course, "somewhat" isn't good enough, but we try. Even the word "try" isn't good enough to some. But, we do.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Registered

I've just had dinner...Salmon fillets, and grilled asparagus spears

Gonna have a mini tub of Häagen-Dazs strawberries and cream ice cream soon... big chunks of strawberries in there, and I have some water melon I'll chop into it too..

4. Holly Saunders

Registered

At least you're trying Cody, that's the start..every triumph starts with the first step...

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have now (for the past two years) taken on the task of preparing the evening meal for my wife. She, who handled that ask for our six children and myself for 38 years, now is working while I have retired. She had digestive issues for years and took medication for those symptoms for over a decade. Her regular GP did nothing but renew her prescriptions. I found her several nights up on the sofa with a heating pad on her abdomen to ease the pain. I "persuaded" her to go to an doctor who practiced integrative medicine and he put her on an exclusion diet. She discovered eventually that she didn't need any medication if she left gluten and rice out of her diet. It made such a change in her life that it was almost unbelievable, but it makes meal planning a challenge sometimes. We eat a lot of salads, meat and potatoes, but things like pasta, bread, and rice-based dishes are a thing of the past. We had steak grilled outside in the snow last night, but I haven't figured anything out for tonight yet.

Yvonne Smith and Holly Saunders like this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Registered

What did you end up having for dinner last night @Don Alaska ?

Tonight I had Baked potato with canned Albacore tuna chunks... and Potato and Chive Salad...

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I made red beans and some brown rice for dinner. I am also trying to re-create a salad that I had on my Seattle trip. It was called a Harvest Salad, and it had roasted butternut squash, red onions, cucumbers, roasted beets, a few cranberries and raisins, as well as some quinoa and spring mix salad greens.
    I added some quinoa to the brown rice that I cooked, and saved some out to cool and will put that in my salad. I found a similar recipe online, and followed that as best as I could with what I have on hand; so I am hoping that it turns out okay.
    Tomorrow the Spiralizer arrives, so you know that I will be trying that out for some meals, both in salads and in noodle dishes.

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

It's a bit too cold here for Salads yet @Yvonne Smith ..for me at least. It's also torrential rain here currently so I have the heating on at 22deg C.. but my husband who is a Veggie/pescatarian . What you had for dinner is very similar to what he would eat at a regular meal..he's very keen on Quinoa with raisins.. and he'll have brown rice probably twice a week..

He got home from work tonight, and has just finished his dinner (he has his long after I have mine)...tonight he had.. Broccoli and peanut salad in Rice wine vinegar dressing.. Lambs lettuce.. cherry tomatoes, roasted red peppers, sweetcorn ( no butter)..and low fat coleslaw

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We ended up with bacon and eggs. Simple and quick. Tonight she has a meeting at church where they have soup and bread. I will stay home and fend for myself.

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

I made a parmesan and sun-dried loaf the other day and some little parm and tomato rolls too... forgot to say I had a roll as well earlier today for lunch..

0798e8e9-b45b-420e-bc0e-d4ac976437f6_zps6045qxmi.jpg~original.jpeg

11. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We had corned beef hash made from the leftovers from St. Patrick's Day. It was great. We haven't made hash in years.

13. Holly Saunders

Registered

oooh I used to love corned beef hash, but I don't know why it started to give me belly ache every time I ate it..after having eaten it all my life..so I don't eat it now. Shame cuz I liked it.

Tonight I had Chicken and pancetta Pie in white wine and cream sauce

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Pinto beans with onion, ham and bacon...never have made them this way. Cornbread and or rice...saving the roast for tomorrow:D

Sheldon Scott and Holly Saunders like this.
  15. Holly Saunders

Registered

Sounds delicious @Gloria Mitchell . Tonight I had chicken again...roasted in it's own juices in a steam bag in the oven , served with plum and hoisin sauce, and steamed broccoli

Sheldon Scott and Hedi Mitchell like this.