Sodastream, Have You Tried One?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a Sodastream, and I really like it; plus it saves a lot of money that you spend if you drink much soda pop.
    I don't drink a whole lot of pop; but I do enjoy a carbonated drink, and often got eithher diet Coke or Pepsi. After reading how bad the artificial sweeteners are, even worse than sugar , according to many researchers; I switched to plain carbonated water. It took me a while to get used to the idea of an unflavored drink; but once i did, I decided that I like it. I usually add a little lemon or lime slice to the water to flavor it.
    Now, if I drink a regular flavored soda pop; it tastes really sweet (like syrup almost) to me. I still have one now and then; but mostly just have the carbonated water.

Now that I have the Sodastream; I can make my own carbonated water. I use filtered water and keep it chilled in the refrigerator until I am ready to carbonate it.
    Since I do not flavor the water, I don't have to buy any of the flavorings, and just refill the carbonator bottle when it gets empty.
    Does anyone else have a Sodastream, and how do you like it if you have one ? ?

2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, my son bought me one several years ago. I've always liked unflavored carbonated water, but it's really expensive to buy - actually more than soda. I love the Sodastream. It's easy and very affordable. I like to drink plain carbonated water with fresh lemon and/or lime squeezed into it. I also like to use 1/2 100% fruit juice and 1/2 water. It gives you the taste of a soda, but has the benefits of juice - all with 1/2 the calories. Great invention!

3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I do not have a sodastream, I don't really drink sodas. I may have a soda once a month if then. I do like to purchase the carbonnated favored waters that Walmart has, would that be the same type of thing. I still only get one of those once a month or so.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Other than a Moxie once every month or two, usually while driving, I haven't drank soda in quite a few years, although I had considered Sodastream when I was going through a twelve-pack per day.

My dad used to make root beer, beginning about a week before Thanksgiving, and on through New Years Day, and that was some good stuff he made. It had to sit in a warm place for a period of time, so he would lay the bottles on the stairway, which was near the chimney, and he had about a 20% loss on them, as we would hear one explode every now and then. I tried taking six bottles back to California when I visited for Christmas one year, and none of they survived the trip.

5. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a system which removes the carbonation from carbonated water, resulting in pure dihydrogen monoxide.

Hal

6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I had one a few years back. My husband thought it would be a money saver. I suppose it was, but the refill canisters at WalMart weren't always available. We lived quite rural and it was a pain to deal with. I don't know why I didn't go online. I just didn't do that much online shopping at the time.
    It's a great deal if someone drinks lots of sodas and can find a reliable canister supplier.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, it’s all good stuff unless you inhale too much of it.
    And, if you drink too much of it you might wind up with a bad case of hyponatremia.

Bess Barber likes this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I rarely ever drink fizzy drinks.. the last time we had a soda stream was in the 70's...

Bess Barber and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I’ve used it maybe 1 or 2 times but Yvonne likes carbonated water so it’s cheaper than buying the stuff by the bottle.

Bess Barber and Holly Saunders like this.
  10. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

You know you are getting older when a good burp feels like a blessing. :D

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yes, and you know you’re getting older and more settled with your loved one when nobody cares which end the bubbles come out of.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I found some of the little powdered drink mixes on Amazon that have A&W Root Beer, A&W Cream Soda, and Cherry Coke flavors. I ordered some to try and just got them today. I am trying a packet of the root beer, and added to my Soda Stream carbonated water, and it is DELICIOUS ! It tastes like a regular bottle of pop tastes like, and has more carbonation than most of the ones that you get from the dispensers at stores and fast food places.
    It did take it a little while to dissolve the root beer flavoring, so next time, I might put that in a little bit of water first and shake i good so that it is dissolved before I add it to the carbonated water bottle.
    You can also use it with plain water, and that is actually what it is intended for, but I don’t like flat soda pop at all, so I will be using it along with the carbonated water.
    This is much better and easier (and probably a lot cheaper) than buying pop at the store and then having all of the containers t dispose of.
    346838AE-4C6B-4F36-95D8-5B9CFA916DC7.jpeg

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.