Solar Eclipse

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

More interesting information about the path of the April 8th eclipse. It goes right over some of the major massacres in America.

IMG_6315.jpeg

Bobby Cole and Marie Mallery like this.
  2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

What my daughter says.I do worry about her like this morning she has too much 'faith' in protection, I tell her not to kick the pricks, Moses did this and didn't turn out too good.
    I do wish I had just a little of the faith she has though.
    We prepare as best we can for this eclipse, it is scary.

3. Yvonne Smith

I do not expect the eclipse itself to be anything other than a regular eclipse, @Marie Mallery . It does seem like there is a lot of symbolism being attached to this date though, and possibly the eclipse is a sign of something else that is also going to happen, maybe on that day, or maybe soon, .
    I think that it is a good sign of better times to come and the old bad things being blacked out.

Bobby Cole and Marie Mallery like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

I haven't given it that much thought, only what y'all put up or my daughter thinking it is some kind of sign. I do know many end time signs seem to be in today's world news.
    Yet some are missing too, according to my past study of Old and New Testaments, much of which I've forgotten.

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Yvonnje couple of my grandkids live in N.E. Alabama, and my kids live only 2 hour's away in Georgia. Wonder if its in the path?

John Nopales likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Here is a map that shows how much each area will see of the eclipse, @Marie Mallery . It looks like we see about 80% eclipse here.

IMG_6316.jpeg

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thank you, looks like we won't be near it.

8. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I will just watch the news and see what happens to all you folks directly in the main path. :D

Marie Mallery likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Here is an interesting article from Michael Snyder, and he says that in the month of April , there will be at least eight unusual events, all of them happening right around the same time as the Great American Eclipse.
    CERN is going to try and recreate the “Big Bang”. Planets will align up with the sun in a straight line that only happens in millions of years (so has maybe never happened before ?), a comet with “horns” called the Devil Comet will be visible in the sky, and several more interesting happenings.
    Here is a link to the article that explains more about all of this.
    http://endoftheamericandream.com/

10. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'll wait and see about the dogs and cats living together. Eclipses are interesting phenomena to witness, but essentially simple shadows on a large scale. They are both inevitable and utterly predictable events.

There isn't even anything anomalous about the gravitational impacts. This stuff is happening all of the time.

I don't mean to let the mystery and fun out of the balloon but I won't be sporting lead underwear or feathers and ochre in my hair for protection either.

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

The most fascinating thing about eclipses is the the perfect proportionality and distance the sun and the moon are to/from each other for both solar and lunar eclipses.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Since Millinocket is in the path of the solar eclipse, our town sent out a warning about the crowds that are expected, suggesting residents stock up on groceries and prescriptions ahead of time, fill their gas tanks, and run any other errands beforehand, and also asking businesses to take advantage of the crowds by remaining open for longer hours, stocking up, and hiring additional staff.

I don't know what to expect since we're not the only town in the path of the eclipse, but I know that whenever there are even lesser events, such as an annual marathon, that bring people from other states here, it's a PITA, with people parking in front of residents' driveways and filling up parking lots with cars not belonging to customers of that business. I don't know what motivates people to do some of the things they do since I would never even think of parking my car in a place that blocks someone's driveway, but it happens often when things are going on here.

I live in the old part of town, a block and a half from downtown and a couple of blocks from the parks where most events are held, so people park all along our street. Most people respect things like driveways, but there's always someone who doesn't. Even without that, it's a pain. We're not used to heavy traffic around here. On a normal day, I can drive seventy miles on the Interstate from here to the Houlton exit without seeing more than a few cars. I've made the trip more than once without seeing any cars in the northbound lane. Then again, I tend to drive fast, so people don't usually catch up with me.

If I have to wait for two or three cars to go by before I can get out of my driveway, I complain about the traffic.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Ken ,what is your personal opinion of the eclipse? I don't know what to think.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I don't expect much, really. I think I was only three or four years old the only other time I was in the line of a full eclipse, so I probably shouldn't remember it, but I do remember it a little. Probably the thing I remember most was how excited everyone was and the cardboard thing with a slit in it that was used to view it. I don't know if it was homemade or something that was for sale, but that's what I remember most. I don't actually recall being allowed to look through it. I may not have been. I do remember dark in the daytime, though.

Since this is something that many people will only see once in their lifetime, I can understand the excitement that surrounds the event, but I don't expect the world to end or anything paranormal to occur. It's a fascinating phenomenon, to be sure, but I think that's about it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The last time we had a total eclipse here, we had an eclipse party. We had the special glasses that you can watch the actual eclipse through. It was fun.