Streaming Video

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken...I've given you a LIKE on that post!

I just think that all this new cyber stuff is so much fluff!

I'm from the old school, and I really don't understand all these links, downloads, URL's, icons, pasting, and all that lint!

When you say that I reject all those well-meaning instructions for clicking on things because they don't work...it's true, because they REALLY DON'T WORK FOR ME, and I'd be grateful if they would!

But don't get upset...just RECOGNIZE that there are fine old Gentlemen like myself who resist change, and may eventually come around!

Have a nice evening with your wife Yvonne!
    Hal

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ya see Hal? You ask questions, get answers and you still can’t get it right. You get things so wrong you haven’t even figured out that the lady YOU told to “grow up” is MY wife!
    Yup, you stepped in it and then stuck your foot in your mouth and you know now that it just ain’t gonna end well.

Bottom line is that in my opinion you need to take an on-line streaming Dale Carnegie course in “how to win friends and influence people” and then pay attention when people are trying to help you.
    Frankly, I really do not know why I have even bothered or anyone else has.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I will be 68 next month but, although I have had a computer since before my son turned twenty, he has never used a computer, and he's 55.

4. Hal Pollner

Registered

Ken, my feisty little friend...before pursuing your tirade against me, I suggest you return to my first post on this thread and re-read it with some comprehension and understanding.

Soothingly,
    Harold
    C'mon, Ken...don't you recall that Carnegie was brought up before the HUAC in 1947 for Communist leanings? (HUAC= House UnAmerican Activities Committee)

I've got a new post that you and Yvonne may be able to help me with....but NO SCOLDING this time!:eek::)

Attached Files:

• 481.JPG
      481.JPG
      File size:
      228.6 KB
      Views:
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Why are quoting my post and writing to Ken? Hmmmm.....take your meds and come back feeling better and more awake perhaps.

6. Hal Pollner

Registered

Hey Ken, Bobby, & Yvonne:

Here's what I've got:

In my Den, I have my computer system in a corner. It has a Verizon modem with a folding antenna, and there's a glowing row of lights on the front, one that says "Wireless".

Thirteen feet away is my 60" Samsung "Smart" TV.

Could these possibly be the ingredients for watching Streaming Video?

Thanks..Thank You...Thank You Very Much, (Judy smiles hello)
    Harry 151.JPG

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  7. Hal Pollner

Registered

Hey Bobby...you left out the word "you" in your post.

Sorry, but I get you and Ken mixed up...writing style similarities, I guess!

Besides, didn't I tell you I have the beginning stages of Alzheimers?

My meds are only for Blood Pressure and Recalcitrant Plebney, and I never miss a shot!

Hal

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Ah. Let’s see now.
    1. Whilst I might honor your comparing my writing to that of Ken’s, he doesn’t use as many vowels as I do and he is OCD enough to hate dots......................which I all too frequently use.
    2. He likes long posts, I on the other hand do not care.
    3. Ken is the owner/administrator of this forum and I am but a poor man from the country trying to make it in the city.
    4. Ken is spelled with 3 letters and Bobby has 5.
    5..Ken is married to Michelle who is also a member of this forum whilst I and Yvonne shared wedding vows a number of years ago.

Beyond that, I suppose if one subtracts our ways of life, our experiences, our places of residence, our age difference, muscle structure, hair color, length of hair, weight, height and eye color, one couldn’t really tell the difference between he and I.
    And oh yeah, I like streaming videos and Ken wants live action in his living room.

2nd “oh yeah. A number of times I have suggested to other people that they needed to take their meds and a couple even thanked me for it saying that they had forgotten. Such was the reasoning for my suggestion to you since there are frequent times when I find that you are somewhat “mixed up” shall we say. It is more of an act of concern this time rather than anything else.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  9. Hal Pollner

Registered

OK, Bobby...I appreciate that!

I appear "mixed up", because I become frustrated when the directions handed to me do not work out because I do not see the "thing to click on" anywhere on my screen!

See?
    Hal 011.JPG

10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

That is why I asked you to go to YouTube and watch a video on it.
    You can “see” the icons and “watch” how this and that is done.

Unless we’re comparing apples to apples, sometimes things appear a little different from one type of computation program to another but even then, the idea is the same. Sometimes it isn’t that a certain icon isn’t there, it’s just a matter of it’s location.

It’s like working on a car. It used to be that if I had a question I would go to an auto mechanic and ask or buy a manual on the vehicle but now, all I have to do is pose the question on YouTube and chances are, someone has a “how to” video on it.

Now, going back to post #17, you still owe Yvonne an apology. You wrote a couple of pretty nasty things to someone who always reaches out to help you and until you see that, chances are she’ll probably be of little help to you in the future and also the chances of me forgetting it is pretty much nil.

11. Hal Pollner

Registered

I hereby Apologize to you,Yvonne.

You are a valuable aid to my Cyber needs, and I depend on your help and advice.

Thank You for all your past helps, even though I couldn't always grasp the procedures.
    Harold 261.JPG

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Hal Pollner

Registered

In my private den I have a 60" Samsung "Smart" TV.

It is not connected to anything in the outside world; no Antenna, no Satellite Dish, no Cable Service, nothing but an audio/video connection from a DVD player.

I use this TV only for watching videos from my collection.

I was just wondering if it's possible to transfer streaming video from my computer's wireless modem to the TV with a 13-foot "over the air" link. (The modem has a light that says "Wireless")

Thanks,
    Harold

13. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't give up Hal. Learning and using some of the available technology will keep you sharp and forestall Dementia & ALZ.
    Get a good Wi Fi connection and a device called ROKU and you will be able to watch hundreds of movies & Docos on your TV.
    Get a young tech savy relative to help you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2019
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Hal Pollner

Registered

Thanks, Lon, but I'm not sure if I want to involve myself with Streaming Video, when I've got a veritable Treasure Chest of classic films in my five cabinets!

Sure...I'd like to see how it works, but that may be as far as I'll go with it!

ROKU? I'll have to look that up!

The only young relatives I have are my Grandchildren in Chicago.

You're right about keeping the Mind occupied!

Hal

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Pro Tip: get out the manual for your TV and read it. If it is a smart TV, it has built-in wifi, so you'd just go to the TV menu setup, pick your home network, enter the network password and BOOM...you're connected. Most smart TVs have wired connectivity as well.

Rene Descartes and Yvonne Smith like this.