Streaming Video

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

No kidding, Beth?

How do I know what my "Home Network" is...and the "Network Password"??

Does this mean I can start the movie on YouTube and it will appear on my TV?

I assure you these are not stupid questions...I sincerely don't know, but I'll consult my Manual

Thanks!
    H.P.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Hal Pollner It will be the same name and password you use on your computer. Just look at your TV as a great big computer screen and log in the same way. After the first log in, you won't have to log in every time. Your set. You can then go to YouTube, mark what you want to watch for 'Watch Later' and then they will come up on your TV after you click the YouTube icon.

Do you have neighbor kid around? They could hook you all up in about 5 mins or less. They grew up on this stuff and are very comfortable with it. I used to flounder around as well until I got help. Once you see them hook it up, you'll see how easy it is.

3. Rene Descartes

Rene Descartes Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Your password is usually on the tag on the modem.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The whole point of a Smart TV is to have Internet connectivity. Once you can figure out, 1) if your Internet connection is capable of WiFi signals as it is, or whether you need to get a wireless modem, and 2) how to connect to your network, which would involve identifying your network from any others that might be near enough to show up and your login information; then your Smart TV will most assuredly be able to stream video. As for moving signals from your computer to the TV, I have never tried to do that. If I want YouTube on my Smart TV, I'll click into YouTube on my Smart TV. My advice would be to call your Internet Service Provider and have then walk you through it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Hal Pollner

Registered

There is no password anywhere on my modem.

Hal

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have a "smart TV" but it is stupid. If I had realized how stupid it is, I wouldn't have bought it. The "cast" function doesn't work that came with the TV. I would have to download Chromecast or some other app to get it to work, so I am happy with my Firestick. It does everything I need, including the internet. Mine is a Vizio and is supposed to work with a smart phone. I have tried my wife's phone, and have tried my son's iPhone and several others. I have gotten other people to try to make it work, but it doesn't, so my assumption is you can't assume that the WiFi function on a smart TV will connect. I have managed to get a couple YouTube videos to cast, but nothing else.

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm just curious, but why would you use the "cast" function? My Smart TV tuner simply allows me to choose the channel I want to view, from cable to streaming channels. Also, if you have a smart TV, you don't need a Firestick so I'm confused.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Do you know whether you have wireless internet in your home? If you don't know, contact your provider and ask them.

If you have a wireless modem, you need the network password to be able to "join" your home network. Our password was never "on the modem"; the Comcast installer told us what the password was. When he left I went to my Xfinity account and changed it because I didn't want the generic installer password on our home network.

9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Mine only connects with WiFi through the Cast function, and it doesn't do that well at all. The Firestick just just fine, however.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That doesn't sound like a very Smart TV if you need a Firestick. Mine is a cheap TCL but it came with pretty much everything I'd get through a Roku, and connecting to WiFi was a simple matter of finding my signal and entering the password.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Hal Pollner

Registered

I didn't understand a word in the five previous posts.

Hal

12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Like I said, if I had known what this TV was like, I wouldn't have purchased it. It connects to WiFi, but it seems to be outgoing only, so they can monitor what I am watching. There is no real remote, only change source and scan an antenna for channels, volume, etc. All the other functions are to be controlled through a smart phone function by Bluetooth, except that it doesn't work. I have developed the work-arounds, but if asked, I would advise against a Vizio "smart" TV.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Let's take this one step at a time.
    Is your internet connection provided by your cable TV provider? Yes or no.

Do you know whether you have wireless connectivity (WIFI) in your home? Yes or no.

If you don't know whether you have wifi, call your provider and ask them. You may need them to install a wireless router.

When the router is installed, they will provide a password so that random passersby can't connect to your private wireless network. At the time of installation, ask the technician to connect your smart TV to the network.

The router network password is only necessary the first time a device is connected (a computer, a TV, a tablet, etc.) From that point on, the device will connect automatically if in range of the wireless router.

There is no way to simplify the steps, Hal. You need someone to help you hands on, either a tech from your cable company or an independent like Geek Squad.

14. Hal Pollner

Registered

Dear Beth:

My Internet and Landline Phone service is provided by Frontier.

I don't have Cable TV, I have Satellite TV by DirecTV, so I don't know if that's a yes or no.

I don't know if I have Wireless Connectivity in my home or not.

I'll see if I want to proceed or not...I certainly don't want this Video Streaming stuff to interfere with my enjoyment of all my Classic Movies!

Thanks, all.
    Hal

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

OK, so you would need to contact Frontier and ask if you have wireless capability.

Streaming will not interfere with your VHS/DVD movies. You will only need to know how to switch between "inputs" on your TV menu.