Sugar Lurks In Unsuspected Places!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We usually buy some of those frozen beef patties from Walmart or Kroger to use when we just want a quick hamburger patty for a sandwich or just to eat.
    So, this morning, I was having one along with an egg for breakfast, and was going to log this meal into my Carb Manager app. I decided to just go ahead and scan in the barcode, and then I would have my exact nutrients and portions for these beef patties for whenever I have one.
    To my surprise, when I looked at the nutrition info on the back of the package, it said that each patty had 5 grams of carbohydrates !
    Since meat has NO carbs, I started looking for the ingredients of my "beef" patties. When I found the list, it said that they were made with beef, beef hearts, TVP (textured vegetable protein)--in other words ----SOY, and also contained maltodextrin, which we all know is another word for sugar.
    In its defense, 4 of those 5 grams did turn out to be fiber, so that is not all bad; but still, it seems like very close to mis-labeling this product.
    We are trying to avoid soy, since it is well-known to be bad for us to eat unless it is fermented in to either soy sauce or tofu; so once this package of beef patties has been used up, this is certainly NOT something that I will be purchasing again.

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The last carton of Pepsi that we bought, was marked "Made with real Sugar"!
    [​IMG]

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't even buy ground beef but when I do it's not in patties. I buy ground turkey but never looked at the carbs.

Was going to buy some today but went to Safeway and I like my ground turkey from Trader Joe's....might go tomorrow,

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you re buying fresh ground beef or turkey, then it should not have fillers in it. We buy the packages of fresh hamburger, but usually use those for making tacos, or something besides a hamburger patty. The frozen ones are easy to keep in the freezer and handy when you just want to make a quick burger sandwich. Or like me, a burger patty and an egg.
    Once these are gone, we will just buy the fresh packages from now on, and make a patty when we want one. That way, we can know we are not getting soy and sugar fillers added in that we don't want to be eating.

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I even use ground turkey for tacos. I eat ground beef if I'm eating a hamburger in a restaurant and thats the only place I eat them. In Fresno I only but ground turkey, don't know why...just do.

6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been buying ground beef pattys and sausage pattys too. They sure are handy. I will have to look at the label now.

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.