Sweet Potatoes

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Anne Kramer, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I have tasted 'yams' as well and didn't like the taste either. I always thought sweet potatoes and yams were the same until I saw an article on the internet explaining the difference.

Give me a sweet potato any day.:D

Holly Saunders likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree @Von Jones ....sorry that should have read Jamaican , in my post...

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I love sweet potatoes. Some of the stores over here do advertise them as yams sometimes...but they are always sweet potatoes to me.

I like them baked in the oven best...with nothing added to them. They are perfect just as they are. :)

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, glory be, thanks to @Sheldon Scott I have finally have learned the difference in Yams and Sweet Potatoes. I have always thought they one and the same with yams being some sort of local nickname genetrated from some part of the country during our past history. I reecall my ad saying my mother was going to make a pumpkin pie when in fact shde backed a sweet potato pie, most ofter in the fall of the year. Thanks Sheldon, i was so convinced I never bothered to look for an answer to the yam, sweet potato difference.

By the way, I generally take a pat of butter and a good dash of cinnamon on my sweet potato.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't have any butter in my sweet potato @Bill Boggs , I find unlike normal potatoes they don't need it..but I do like to have cracked black pepper on them.

I roast them or mash them, I even make sweet potato chips ( fries) baked in the oven on a sheet pan with just the tiniest amount of oil....

The nice thing about sweet potatoes is you can scrub them clean pat them dry then bake them in the microwave for just a few minutes and they are as good as any oven baked spud, so soft in the middle, and they take a fraction of the time to cook

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

Well I don't know what to tell ya...this is what I (and the various grocery stores I get them from) call a yam:
    https://www.cooksillustrated.com/fe...oes-know-your-beauregard-from-your-red-garnet
    This is what some are calling a yam:
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/difference-yams-sweet-potatoes/
    Apparently, all the candied yams I've eaten were candied...but not yams. I only buy Red Garnet and Beauregard, so looks like we are talking sweet potato.