Tattoos

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Tom Locke, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Tattoos? Well, let's put it this way...Have you ever seen bumper stickers on a Ferrari?

2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't mind one or two tasteful tattoos, especially the pretty ones, but I don't understand the women getting the names of their children tattooed all over their chests and necks. I had several clients who had done that, and I thought maybe it was a New Orleans thing, but I'm seeing it more and more these days. It's very distracting when I see someone with those tats, because tendrils of the letters are hanging out of their shirts, and I can't help but stare, because I'm trying to figure out what it is. The worst, in my opinion, are the facial tattoos. I'll never ever ever ever understand that.

3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

That makes sense, Diane. I knew a gal who had massive tattoos on one arm and then had a wedding in a white dress. Not good. I could never quite get past her tattoos…very distracting to her overall appearance. She was a really nice gal. I liked her a lot. I wished she had been marrying my son instead. She was smart too.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

Hahaha, my Mom likes to watch those shows where they go pick out their wedding dresses, and she's always talking about the girls with their arms covered in tattoos. I found it very distracting when Margaret Cho was on Dancing With The Stars and I couldn't concentrate on her dancing, because the tattoos were flashing every time she moved.

Attached Files:

5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

She looks proud of them. Flash forward to when she's 70….sigh.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have resisted getting a tattoo since I was seventeen and went into the Marine Corp. Growing up police put out All Points Bulletins on people wanted for questioning or committing some crime. An APB is issued to be on the lookout for a white male driving a '41 ford 4door sudan. He has a tattoo on his left forearm, "Death Before Dishonor." Subject may be armed and is considered dangerous. I never wanted an identifying mark.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I imagine there are lots of regrets. In some cases, there will be "regerts".

regerts.png.jpg

Attached Files:

Lara Moss and Diane Lane like this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

Haha, I love those pics, @Tom Locke.

I have considered getting one or two small tattoos, but haven't decided where/what and have no money for such things at this time anyway. I do sort of like the smallish tattoos of inspirational words (in English, of course, so I know for sure what they actually say), because having reminders really does help me to focus. If I got a picture tattoo, it would probably be a flower or a shamrock, but it would be small and unobtrusive. I like the idea of something barely visible that those close to me would know was there, but wouldn't draw undue attention.

9. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Probably the only admissible facial tattoos would be those aimed to delineate one's eyebrows, lips or eye contour from an aesthetic approach, in example people who lack of eyebrows due to sometimes these turn finer through the years.

However this is being much like plastic surgeries, which are everyday worst practiced and the outcome could be so grotesque that might not worth the risk to get tattooing done, and much less if this type of tattoo is made simply for cosmetic reasons because makeup trends and aging may bring an undesirable look.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Want to see a guy with lots of tattoos.....half of his face, entire shoulder (one solid tattoo) and arms. He goes by the name of "Maverick" on Storage Wars (So. Calif.) show. His girlfriend is a beauty with a large tattoo on her upper chest.

11. Diane Lane

Registered

I see lots of tattoos just here in my neighborhood. Many of my uncles had been in the service, and they had tattoos, but those were more old fashioned tattoos, rather than 'body art', which is what a lot of the tats these days actually are. I think some are nice looking, but that doesn't mean i'd want them all over my body, especially if I end up living to a ripe old age. I know what you mean @Carlota Clemens but I know a lot of people were getting makeup tattooed on back in the 1980s, and I don't know what they look like now, but fashion trends change frequently, and I wouldn't want something permanently tattooed like that. I'd much rather use a pencil (makeup pencil, of course), so I could change the color/thickness/style or leave it off entirely, as the years pass.

12. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe those with tattoos should create a social media network - InkedIn?

Terry Page likes this.
  13. Linda Binning

Linda Binning Veteran Member
    Registered

My husband and I don't care for tats and don't have any. All 4 of our children did though. If I were in charge of hiring for a company I wouldn't discriminate because of tattoos or piercings, just because of the great people I know who have them. And I am talking about MORE than just my own children. One reason I hate them so much is because I know the Nazis used to skin people and make lamp shades out of their tattoos! Shoot!!!!!!!!!! I don't need that kind of business going on!! :(

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

People have been getting tattoo's for years upon years, but today they are frowned upon by some-to-many folks. They have a nickname, "tats" by those that have them. There are a couple of tv shows on cable that talk about life in prison, county jail and tattoo parlors. Some say the shows that are filmed inside prison and county jail walls give tattoo's, and the people that have them, a bad name. There are Tattoo Convention's that would/could freak a non-tattoo person completely out while others think "that's really cool looking". There are people who are in great professions today that have tattoo's. However, there are companies that will require tattoo's to be covered while on the job. People with tattoo's on their face and neck get talked about more than those that have them on their arms. Some parents freak out when they find out their son or daughter got a tattoo or worse, ask for permission to get one.

So, people either like, even love, tattoo's, dislike them period or don't care at all either way.

One thing is for sure, the topic of "tattoo's" can be and/or is very, very controversial.

As for myself, even though many in the Navy get one or more tattoo's, I never did. Was thinking about getting an eagle on the top of each arm, just before meeting my wife, but decided not to. To this day, my wife is extremely happy that I didn't.

15. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No, don't have any and don't care for them especially all over your body. I don't mind a very small one that's hidden but that as far as I'll go.

I do know many men have them on their arm from their military days...I overlook that. My ex had an eagle on his arm.

People that get them all over are limiting themselves in jobs...most say you have to cover your tats.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017