Tell Me What You Had For Lunch Today

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Sep 21, 2018.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

(yesterday) Battered and fried chicken gizzards! o_O

Seriously. I got them for the cat, but she didn't like them.:rolleyes: They were good. Chewy. [​IMG]

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

I went to lunch with neighbors a while ago and the local dive had fried chicken livers on special. They were good...and livers are more tender than the gizzards.

Nancy Hart and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I've had this calf liver in the freezer for several weeks. Keep saying I'll try it. Just can't do it. Yuk. Maybe if someone else prepared it.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I really like liver, as long as it is calf or cow liver, or even pork liver is okay; but I just do not like the flavor of chicken livers, even though they are nice and tender and easy to cook.
    I like cooked liver if I cook it myself, and never order it in a restaurant, because they will usually cook it until it looks and tastes like leather.

When I cook it, I also sauté onions, mushrooms, garlic, and peppers. When they are almost done, I take them out of the pan and then sauté the liver until it is starting to be pink inside, and then add the veggies back in and stir it all together.
    I like liver when it is just barely a little pink inside, not too rare or too well done, and then it is tender and delicious.

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

I'm a big fan of calf liver. I even liked it when I was a kid. But I know I'm in the minority.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. John Brunner

Chinese buffet.

I was particularly happy because last week they did not have green beans due to high prices. Whenever I eat there, they are constantly unloading wooden boxes of green beans onto the table and the entire staff is pulling off the strings. They must go through tons of them. I feared that was going to be a long-term issue (I love stir-fried green beans.) Today they were back! I guess the spot market became favorable again. Or they had complaints.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I like Chinese buffets. In part because I don't know enough about Chinese foods to know what to order from a menu, but also because I like having multiple choices. However, after restaurants were allowed to reopen here in Maine, they were not permitted to have buffets. Now they can, but there are no Chinese restaurants that I know of anywhere around here that has a buffet now, while they all used to.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I worked out near Dulles airport back in the 80s before that area got civilized, and lunch options were limited (burgers, 7-11, and Golden Dragon.) My boss liked Chinese food and we ate there together almost every day. Sometimes we would drive up the road to go to the Chinese restaurant near his home. Rather than get sick of it, I've always really liked it (lots of variety.) That's when I learned to use chopsticks.

I was chatting with a couple in the booth next to me today, and we agreed that the variety and quality are always good there. And like you, I enjoy the choices. Mostly, I like that I can get small servings of a variety of appetizers (dumplings + egg roll + wings + calamari) instead of ordering a full serving that I would never finish of a single appetizer.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Our favorite Chinese buffet converted to a regular restaurant during covid and the buffet never returned. They have excellent food and the servings are HUGE. Last Saturday we ordered takeout and I had egg foo yung. SO GOOD. I have been screening youtube videos on making EFY and I'm going to give it a go.

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

The Chinese restaurant in The Town in my county went to carry out only and turned the lunch buffet and dining area into storage, with boxes stacked all around. They have yet to bring back the lunch buffet (I gotta think it was a money maker), and I called them one evening to verify that they had started Dine-In again. So I go there for dinner, and Dine-In meant you got your stuff on paper plates and in carryout tubs, but you could sit in the booth to eat it.

Re: Egg Foo Yung...I have never had it. My fav is genuine Szechuan Green Beans (not just stir-fried.) You deep-fry the beans until they pucker, and then you stir fry them with their sauce. Not many places do it right.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Whew we have been busy so at 3p... late lunch. half of avocado and chicken sandwich , few chips and tea

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

Cheeseburger with grilled onions, french fries.

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Since I'm a distinguished chef, I made Coq Au Vin & Tournedos Rossini with Bouillabaisse.

Well....OK, maybe I'm exaggerating just a bit.

I don't evern know what that is.

I actually had an apple & a handful of walnuts.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

roast and mayo sammich,chips,tea

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.