Terrorist Atrocity In Christchurch New Zealand

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Holly Saunders, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

An Australian white gunman in his 20's has shot & Killed 49 people in the middle of the day at 2 Mosques in Christchurch, and seriously injured over 40....

The man has been arrested after filming his terrorist attack on a webcam...

A white Australian right-wing terrorist who livestreamed his sickening shooting spree on Facebook is one of four people arrested over dual mosque attacks which left 49 dead and 48 injured on New Zealand’s 'darkest day'.

The gunman, who identified himself as Brenton Tarrant from Grafton, NSW, Australia, stormed the Al Noor Mosque in Christchurch on the country's South Island about 1.30pm, opening fire with a semi-automatic shotgun and a rifle on hundreds of defenceless worshippers attending Friday prayers.

A sickening 17-minute video of the unfolding horror shows the self-confessed white supremacist dressed in army fatigues firing mercilessly at people scrambling to flee, and calmly reloading when he runs out of bullets.

At about the same time, there was a second shooting at Masjid mosque in Linwood, where seven more were killed.

In the aftermath of the bloody attacks, three men and one woman were arrested, with police charging 'one man in his late 20s' with murder.

A man wearing military fatigues was arrested outside Papanui High School.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...oter-posted-heinous-attack-live-Facebook.html

This is just so tragic..not only because of the act of terrorism and the deaths of all thee innocents, but on new Zealand as a country who has been less affected by terrorism than most Western Countries .. now this will change New Zealand forever..

2. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

Horrible thing .. so sad for everyone :(

One thing that struck me when I read about it this morning was how one of the gunmen did a live stream of the attack on Facebook. I would like to see Facebook and any and all other social media sites remove that option. This is not the first time a crime has been live streamed. I know it wouldn't stop the violence but it would at least remove - for the moment - the ability for these criminals to flaunt their horrible antics while they do them. There is just so much wrong with allowing open ended live streams. Facebook did shut it down but not until 17 minutes had gone by.

Yvonne Smith and Ken N Louis like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Registered

Apparently according to the news, as fast as the social networks shut it down it pops up somewhere else..

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My SIL family from New Zealand and that area...far as I know all is well with them.

Don Alaska and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I lived in Christchurch New Zealand off and on for 26 years after retiring.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Registered

I remember you telling us Lon... did you say your wife was from Dunedin?...

7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

She was born and raised in Christchurch and received her nursing and midwifery degrees there.

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

Oh sorry must have been someone else who mentioned Dunedin...

ETA...Just remembered, it's @Steve North , wife who is from Dunedin

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders
    The VOICE of the internet may be subdued, but apparently not quelled.
    Frank

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Registered

The problem in this case Frank is that it's the terrorist ''voice'' in this case the footage of his killing spree.....that HAS to be Quelled...

11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

What all these incidents have in common is the internet, social media, connecting with like-minded people.

It allows these nuts (maybe 1 in a 100K ?) to find each other, feed off each other, try to see who can propose the most outrageous act, and dare each other to carry it out.

In real life, if you think like one of these shooters, and go around spouting such manifestos, you won't find any people who will even talk to you. Most people are busy getting on with their lives. Someone might even report you to the authorities.

I don't know what the solution is.

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That was a horrific attack, but how many of you heard about the attacks in Nigeria just over two weeks before, when forty Christians were killed by Muslims? -- BP News
    It seems never to be newsworthy when Muslims are the killers and Christians are the victims.

13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

The PM of New Zealand will have strong gun laws passed, but as always, they can't stop someone who is intent on terrorism, who gets weapons from underground sources that can't be monitored.

Hal

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Hal Pollner
    Politicians' reactions to such tragedy are actually "knee-jerk". Some, but not the majority of them I suspect, know that more firearms restrictions mean more safety for them, and less for the general public.
    Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The gun-banners are positively ecstatic whenever there is a shooting, and their only thought is for political advantage.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.