Terry's Ramblings

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Terry Page, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I agree Lara their music can be kind of sad but I am a melancholy kind of person and love sad music, so it gives me a weird pleasure.
    As a teenager I loved the music of Tchaikovsky and Mahler which is often inspired by death and suffering.

I also love rain and melancholic weather :eek:

Just file me under only open when happy ;)

[​IMG]

Lara Moss likes this.
  2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Terry Page , if that is your picture under the one of the lovely Lisa, you are looking well, happy, and ready for the world that you are planning to see. I am lately learning that it is OK to be happy and look for the beauty that is there for anyone looking to see.

I've always wondered who was the first to put anger into his music. (I don't mean Heavy Metal either.) You seem to be a good starting point for that question. Hmmmm??? :oops:

3. Terry Page

Registered

Anger in Music
    An interesting question Ina I am really not sure, but will look into it. I know classical music contains many human emotions, but not aware anger was one of them.
    I know some modern music Punk and latterly Rap especially seems borne out of anger but the world is a much angrier place these days I feel. I guess contemporary pop music is mirroring that.

Going back to classical music including contemporary works I would say a fast tempo or a loud passage could be felt or interpreted as anger, but this being subjective could also be excitement or enthusiasm.
    It's only when angry words are added that we become focussed on the emotion of anger, so I guess this means if you are not a normally angry person you will not interpret fast loud classical music as anger, and will avoid obviously angry vocal music?

Having rambled on a bit there my feelings are it's a pretty recent phenomena though exactly when it started I am not sure.
    Will come back to it if I find out more.

Ina I. Wonder and Lara Moss like this.
  4. Terry Page

Registered

My Bathroom Tap Hunt

Lisa and I went to Maxidom the out of town homewares superstore to buy a new tap for Lisa's bathroom this morning and soon found what we wanted at a reasonable price. Asking the assistant for the tap to take to the checkout, she proceeded to talk us out of buying it saying it was a cheap import and wouldn't last long. She advised us to go to a small plumbers merchant and get one of better quality at a cheaper price.

We bought a few other odds and ends and left calling in at the plumbers merchants on the way back, only to find that their taps were similar and more expensive. :rolleyes:
    We will go back to the store again tomorrow and force them to sell us the tap we want :);):cool:

Lara Moss likes this.
  5. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Regarding Ina's question about the first composer to put anger to music…maybe Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture regarding Russia's defense against Napolean's invasion with casualties estimated at 100,000. The 1812 Overture was originally commissioned as a commemorative piece but Tchaikovsky said himself that he was "...not a conductor of festival pieces," and that the Overture would be "...very loud and noisy, but [without] artistic merit, because I wrote it without warmth and without love."
    Source of quote is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_Overture

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  6. Terry Page

Registered

I don't myself get a feeling of anger when listening to the 1812 overture, more excitement and a building intensity, I guess Tchaikovsky could have been angry or simply justifying why he wrote such a commercial commemorative piece of music, by saying it was not composed with love or warmth, more indifference maybe?

7. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree and I think Ina was alluding more to a genre of music with attitude like Rap rather than one piece of music. I thought about that after posting it but was too lazy to edit. Remember Beatniks? What were they about? I think that was borderline before my time. No one was as angry back then than they are now though.

Speaking of anger...I'll bet you're at that store right now strangling the saleslady for the bathroom tap she talked you out of yesterday.

Terry Page likes this.
  8. Terry Page

Registered

Bathroom Tap Hunt continued...............

This morning on arriving at Maxidom we chatted to a different assistant who went into more depth about the taps stating the best taps are imported from the Czech Republic and are guaranteed for 10 years, the one we chose yesterday was from Lithuania and was of poor quality. So we made the purchase and now all I have to do is fit it :eek:

Everything Lisa and I seem to do together in Russia has an interesting and fun element to it. We did have a good laugh when I brought a dining room chair from the UK as hold luggage, it did of course contain a sack of my usual cheese ration.................anyway that is another story..:cool:

Picture31.jpg

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I just looked up Beatniks and the definition is, " a young person who was part of a social group in the 1950s and early 1960s that rejected the traditional rules of society and encouraged people to express themselves through art". So they were not rebellious musicians. The fifties was my older sisters era so I messed up on that one. I did listen to her music though, Leslie Gore, Chubby Checkers, The Coasters, American Bandstand, etc I remember she listened to this one by the Big Bopper :D. But I digress.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Ina I. Wonder and Terry Page like this.
  10. Terry Page

Registered

Yes the '50s was my decade I guess, I remember the Big Bopper and Chantilly Lace as if it were yesterday :rolleyes:

Bonnie Thomas and Ike Willis like this.
  11. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

So back to your bathroom tap hunt…you did good! Lisa will be thrilled when you have it all installed. Handy skill to have.

12. Terry Page

Registered

This was one I remember buying and loving

Bill Boggs and Lara Moss like this.
  13. Terry Page

Registered

Another couple of oldies I liked

14. Terry Page

Registered

I woke up early today after dreaming of Putin again. I feel a need for some therapy concerning this :eek:

[​IMG]

It's a mixed weekend today I have my plumbers hat on and hopefully will be able to fit the new tap in Lisa's bathroom, though Russian plumbing systems are different to what I am used to, it should be easy enough, (famous last words). Hope to go for a walk on one of the islands here later today.

Last night we booked seats at a classical concert for Sunday evening at the local Philharmonic Hall, they are playing Mahler's 5th and Schubert's 5th both symphonies I like.
    The Adagietto from Mahler's 5th is one of my favourite pieces.

Saint_Petersburg_Philha5trmonia_-_Bolshoi_Zal.jpg

yuuu.jpg

Bill Boggs, Lara Moss and Ike Willis like this.
  15. Terry Page

Registered

Well as half expected the plumbing job didn't go smoothly, the new tap has a different fixing connector so we need to get an adaptor to complete the job, which we will tomorrow morning. The rest of the day is going well and I find I am regaining all sorts of memories by delving into into old threads on the forum.
    Ah well time for a laugh ;)

images32 (21).jpg

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.