Thanksgiving Memories

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Mary Robi, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

One year was memorable.

Mom had put the turkey in the kitchen sink to defrost overnight.

The first clue that something was amiss was waking to one of the cats standing on her chest and yarking copiously on the bedspread. She headed downstairs to find out that one of the dogs had been sick at the bottom of the stairs. How did she find this out? I think you know the answer to that....

In the kitchen, she found that the dog and/or cats had somehow gotten the turkey out of the sink and had wrestled it to the floor, where they proceeded to gnaw on the beast all night. Turkey parts strewn around, sick animals, no turkey for Thanksgiving. Really pissed-off mom.

Bess Barber and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was in high school, myself and my step-parents would go over to my Aunt/Uncle/cousins for Thanksgiving. But, before we went, all farm chores had to be done. It was a great day for me, because I could eat a whole lot more than I would at home.

Bess Barber likes this.
  3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

My mom came from Germany and never really learned the art of cooking a turkey. She made cornish hens instead and told us they were baby turkeys. Once I was old enough to announce this at school......this is when the other kid's laughter taught me the truth. :D
    (She STILL makes these and we lovingly refer to them as her baby turkey meal. )