The Cinema

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Corie Henson, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This thread is for the new cinema of the modern age and also for the cinema of the olden times.

When I was born, the Cinerama was born ahead of me for a few months. My parents would tell me that it is a different kind of movie house because the screen is so big like double the size of ordinary cinema screens. It's just unfortunate that the Cinerama did not last long so I was not able to experience it.

By the way, that Cinerama was owned by Pablo Roman, a congressman from the northern part of the country. The cinema is located in the heart of Manila so you can imagine how rich he is (was).

2. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

That would have been so exciting to experience! I have not heard of anything like that around me. If i did, though, I would be the first in line. I wouldn't even care what the movie was, lol.

3. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, twice the size of what we currently see in theaters. This sounds like a pretty huge screen to watch a movie on. It would almost be like your in the film. I have also never heard of such a cinema before. I wonder why they stopped making it this way? Perhaps it had to do with cost, or maybe the fact that with less screen it would allow more seats, or the fact that the rooms got smaller, to accomodate more theaters.

4. Jennifer Graves

Registered

I can just imagine some of these new movies with the insane special effects, on a screen that large. I would be willing to pay a lot of money to see that any movie, really, on a screen that large.

5. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember cinerama or something similar. The screen was very wide and it bent outwards at an angle on each side. It was so big that you could only view one part of the screen at a time. I saw Lawrence of Arabia and Ryans Daughter on such a screen, which made them both unforgettable experiences.

I never liked going to the movies so much after big auditoriums were divided into several small viewing rooms. It never feels the same being in a small enclosed space as it is when sitting with a thousand others and seeing the movie play out on a big screen.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We had something like that , that I remember, too. It was called "IMAX", and it seemed like you were actually right there in the picture, and experiencing it yourself.
    I remember seeing one that had some kind of an airplane ride (and I totally HATE flying anyway !), and I was doubled over with my face buried in my hands when they did those fast downward spirals.......oh, yuck , awful !
    But the idea was awesome, and I think we also saw one that was some kind of a space and rocket IMAX movie, and that was fantastic !

We also had some wide-screen movies back when I was a kid in the fifties that were called "Cinemax", and they were wider than long, and maybe intended to be shown on a double screen also. I think that they did not catch on because most of the theaters would not have been able to change all of their screens to the larger ones; so the movie ended up just being the same width, and not as high as most regular movies were.
    I think that "Ben Hur" was one of the earliest movies that was made in Cinemax. Here is the trailer for the movie, and you can see how much wider it is than tall.

7. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

The screens we have now are rather large but I would love to see Transforners on a really large screen, it contains animation of cars becoming giant robots, the graphics are great.

8. Jennifer Graves

Registered

growing up, I had 2 options... regular theater and drive-in. The drive ins were the best movie experience I ever had, too.