The Cobbler's Bench

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Joe Riley, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken Anderson and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The Art of Shoes

"What is it about shoes? The love of, and sometimes obsession for, "Shoes" !
    Many have tried to answer this question. Sometimes I think that there are no complete answers to particular phenomenon's in life and we should just be happy and embrace them. For we are confusing creatures - us human beings".

"I am happy to say, that I love shoes, they don't always love me (ouch) but I do love them. I especially love it when I see the creations of shoes. Either the shoe themselves or art inspired of, or made from shoes".

[​IMG]
    Petros Christostomou

[​IMG]
    Van Gogh

[​IMG]
    Christian Louboutin

Ike Willis likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

What did the cobbler say when a chicken walked into his shop?

Shoe!

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

He said "We eat good tonight"!
    [​IMG]

6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you have anything in an 8 narrow? I think I need a new pair.

[​IMG]

7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Hope I'm not off base for noting this here. When I went to Korea I had been issued an extra pair of boots. They were too small, too short, and when the pair I had wore out (wore holes in the soles) I put on the too small boots. When I could I turned my old boots in and asked for a new pair in exchange. They didn't have my size so I wore the too short boots for a big part of the eighteen months I spent in Korea during '53 and '54. When I returned stateside I was of course issued a new wardrobe. The boots issued were my size but they were too wide and ill fitting.

One weekend after a grueling week, I took a three day pass, got a hotel room in Tacoma, Washington and soaked my feet for two hours. Afterwards, strolling around to find a place to eat lunch I passed a small shop whose sign read: Saddles, Tack, Accessories, and in small print underneath, cobbler. I walked on passed it but turned around and went inside. He had saddles, bridles, ropes, and cowboy boots on display. An elderly man asked if he could me. I guess not, I said, I thbought I might find a pair of boots that would pass for military out on the base. He asked what size I wore. I said I don 't know. I was issued a pair said to fit me but my feet are tender. I just returned from Korea where I wore boots for a year too short. He said let me measure your feet. I said I didn't see any military style boots but much obliged.

He said you can't see everything, sit down on that bench and let me measure your foot. I took both low quarters off and my socks. He said man you've about ruined your feet. These look like some of these oriental women whose feet were bound. He measured my feet, both of them, twice. He asked what kind of boot would you like to have. I said one that fits properly. He said if you were picking out a pair and could have any thing you wanted, what would you get. I said I get a pair of jump boots, airborne. I took my training with them and never had much complant and we jogged or ran everywhere. He asked where I had taken my training amd I told him Fort Campbell, Kentucky. He said your boots will be ready next week, seven days from now. I said I'm not sure I can afford them. He said he'd make me a deal, I said maybe I can pay them out.

I went to lunch went back to the room and went to bed. That's the way I spent my three day pass. I did go in a piano bar one evening, had a couple of vodka tonics. Aftrer I got back to the base I thought better of buying boots and tried to find the shop's phone number to cancel them. It was about ten days befiore I could get back into town and I had trouble finding the shop again. When I did the proprietor said my boots were ready. He brought out one fine looking pair of jump boots. The boots fit to a tee. He said I made those so if they give you a problen bring them back and I'll fix it.

I told him the good news is they fieel wonderful, now give me the cost of my indescression. He said it is your lucky day. I'm donating those boots to the cause. He said you owe me nothing and I won't take anything. I told him he couldn't make a living giving product away. He said Yes I can. I retired handsomely. This store is just something to do. I don't have any young'uns to pass it on to so I'll sell one of these days.. When you're in town come by and say hello sometime.. I said I'll do it and thank you. I wore those boots for years, had them resoled until they could be resoled no more. I never had any foot wear to fit so well or feel so good. The guy was indeed a cobbler.

8. Nancy Hart

Registered

What a great story!

Holly Saunders and Bill Boggs like this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks, @Bill Boggs for your great story of a generous "retired" Cobbler! You were "off base" only in the sense that you were not on base, when you met him.;)

Bill Boggs likes this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Nancy Hart

Registered

13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Nancy Hart

Registered

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

They bring him $1,000 Prada shoes to fix. Some think his is a 'lowly and dirty' job - but hey, this 75-year-old says, cobblers will never go out of style, so long as shoes need mending.

The Cobbler | CNA Insider