The Confederate Flag No Longer Will Fly In South Carolina

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Ed, The families who have roots in the south have traitors for ancestors. They neither deserve respect or admiration. These folks after 150years need to realize that they are the spawn of losers, to suck it up,put on their big boy panties and get over it. Obviously Lincoln was wrong when he famously said, "let 'em up easy". Easy got us a nation of racists.
    This is the only Confederate flag that bears any meaning.
    white-flag-gif-21.gif

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

So,,.by extension, those who have ancestral ties to the original 13 colonies are the spawn of traitors. I mean, it doesn’t really affect me because my people didn’t arrive here until around WWI but there are those in England who still have ought with the U.S. over the revolution.
    It’s a given that “we” made our own flag and won the war so we got to keep our flag but had it been legal to do so, many would still have flown the British flag afterward.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

No because we were the winners. My family got here in 1634.I proudly wear the badge of traitor to the British Empire. My badge says American on it! What does yours say? We beat the natives and the british(twice) We kicked ass on our treasonous brothers,when they refused to turn their backs on the most abhorrent act that can be committed on another human being. After being soundly whipped, did they admit to the errors of their ways? No just doubled down on hate and prejudice!

4. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

My Father's family was from Virginia and my Mother's from North Carolina. Both were small farmers and too poor to own slaves. I was raised in Maryland which had slaves. Advocates of the Confederate flag may deny racism and claim their advocacy is for something like.sovereignty or states' rights, yet I suspect they are closet racists.
    Yet, I see no reason to ban the Confederate flag displayed anywhere by private individuals. I don't think any government connected buildings should fly it but the private person has a right to their own expression even if it is racist. We shouldn't be trying to police peoples' minds and attitudes.

5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

As long as burning the American Flag is considered an item of free speech and illegal immigrants are allowed to fly the flag of their homeland instead of the American Flag, flying the Confederate Battle Flag should be left up to whatever individual who decides to fly it to do so. (possibly at their own risk but it is what it is)

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

By that argument, you should be a Trump supporter, or on your knees apologizing for not voting for him.

7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Back to the slave thing again huh?
    Okay, explain to me why New York, an anti-slave state had slaves? And, I asked you before as to why New York almost became a part of the Confederacy or haven’t you had a chance to Google that? How many black people from New York were conscripted into the Union military?

Note: I really don’t need your explanations because it was all about money with New York as to what did and did not happen. It wasn’t the love of country or anything like that that kept New York from joining the south but a matter of ......money. You say patriot and I say greedy.

8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Trump is more dictatorial and with mental issues. One need not apologize for not supporting him,
    Especially after having finished almost a term.

Dwight Ward likes this.
  9. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

They lost the Civil War and fled to Brazil. Their descendants refuse to take down the Confederate flag.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...9cd8940fb_story.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I had no idea the Confederate flag issue was extant in foreign countries. This is an interesting article.

However, despite the opinions cited in this article and elsewhere, I maintain that a private individual's right to express their opinion via a flag or otherwise, even if racist, is sacrosanct.

Ed Wilson and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I totally agree and I’ll write it again the same as I’ve said it many times before. As long as burning and desecrating the American Flag is protected under the 1st amendment, the law should have absolutely no say in what flag or banner we choose to fly.
    Personally, I’m not a big fan of the Confederate Battle Flag but if someone chooses to fly it, so be it.

I still think it’s funny when I remember back in Nam when one of our crew chiefs / gunner had a Confederate Battle Flag painted on the bottom of his UH1-D. (Huey). Uh, I didn’t mention that the crew chief was / is black.

Ed Wilson and Martin Alonzo like this.
  11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves The first country in the world to stop slavery was the USA Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Other countries to this day still have slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Which country is complaining about slavery USA Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves What country fought against slavery in other countries USA Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves American Indians had slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Some early slave owners were blacks Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves The country who has done more than any other country in the world to stop is the only one they pick on for it. Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves Slaves