The Flower Trellis, a Cheap Improvement

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Yvonne Smith, May 2, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This thread reminds me that we need to buy a trellis for our newly planted grape vine. It is still in the plastic pot so I asked my husband to fix the location where he plans to put it. The other day, I saw the grape plant in the planter box in the backyard. He said that it is okay to be there but we would need a trellis where it can crawl (not sure if that's the right term). So now we are computing how much would a 10 foot long iron trellis would cost us. We had to buy the steel bars and have the welding shop compose it into a trellis.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I got the little solar rope at Harbor Freight Tools, and they are about $12 there at regular price, and about $8 when they are on sale. Harbor Freight has lots of sales; so when we go there and I see them on sale, then I buy another set of them. I have the solar ropes all along the front fence now, as well as over top of the trellis.
    Bobby had to help me get the solar rope over the top of the trellis; and it looks pretty at night.

The last trip to Harbor Freight, they had a similar thing, but it has little solar lights that look like fireflies; so we are going to put that one out near the fountain that Bobby is building out front. They were on sale for $8 this trip and are usually $13 regularly.
    If you do not have a Harbor Freight close by, Amazon also has a great selection of solar lights.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks, I have a Harbor Freight that's across town, so, depending on whether there's a sale, and/or I can get cheap shipping, I will look at both them and Amazon, and hopefully can get some of the rope lights, as well as others. I'm pretty disappointed with the ones I recently bought at Walmart, but I guess the solar panels aren't in the sun, they're partially blocked by the 'roof' of vines, so that could be the problem. I'll have to see what I can do about that.