The Good Morning Thread

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Diane Lane, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ike Willis - your breakfast sounds like a dinner :p
    Still, we're told its the most important meal of the day, so you do right :D
    Hello everyone :)
    Hope its a good day for you all - thinking of Chrissy and Ina, hope they are well today
    Xx

2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Good Morning everyone I started the day by being turned down by yet another job...woohoo! Anyway, I don[t have a lot to say today, the weather has gone from hot and sticky to downright chilly, but it does
    feel good. As long as it doesn't rain I will be happy.:) I hope everyone has a great day, and will remember to be kind to one another, unlike our politiicians running for office, what a disgusting state of affairs! This election just makes me want to throw up. Anyway, have a good one!!!!

Patsy Faye and Ike Willis like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Good morning everyone, 90 today and I need to dust...noticed that yesterday. :(

Thanks for thinking of me Patsy, I did have a good cry last night after an email my brother sent me and my sisters just remembering our mom.

My only plans today involve cleaning. Yesterday I changed sheets an did Pickles and my laundry. Then didn't sleep too well, Pickles was whiny for some reason so maybe after cleaning I'll try for a nap.

Have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadians on here.

Patsy Faye, Ike Willis and Diane Lane like this.
  4. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Big hugs Chrissy. It's hard isn't it. I lost my mum in 1997 and think of her everyday. Hope yo fee l a little better today x

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks Honey, that's the year my dad and grandmother died and my daughter got married and I moved to Hungary for 6 years. Heck of a year.

Even though I've lived across the country from my mom for most of my adult life, yes it's a very painful loss. She has lived with my baby sister for the last 18 years of her life so it's probably very hard on her, she's gone very quiet lately so hope she's doing ok.

Honey Gee likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Good Morning, Y'all. I still have a difficult time on my Dad's birthday and other special days @Chrissy Page. It would probably be worse if I was around my family on those days.

It's a bit cooler today, but apparently the humidity will return tomorrow, and temperatures will go up, as well. It's cool for now, though, and I'm enjoying it.

I won't be able to get the dog whistle for a while, but I'll let y'all know if it works when I do get it. I've seen mixed reviews, but I have to try something. The street's quiet for now, which is nice. Not one dog is barking, and it's so peaceful, just like back in the good old days, when this was the quiet area of the neighborhood. I might run a few errands today. It's either today or tomorrow, and it sounds as if today'll be the best day for it. Have a nice one, y'all.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

If you do find a good whistle, let me know @Diane Lane ....if it doesn't hurt them I'd like to use one on my dog when he's barking for an hour straight when Alfonso is here.

Yep, I can still cry at a memory about my husband who died 12 years ago but it's not so painful anymore, still very raw with the loss of my mom.

All I have to do is see a pic or a mention of her and the tears flow instantly.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, same here. It seems a piece of me disappears with each loss. One day, I'll be complete again, when we're all together in Heaven.

There are some sold with clickers and e-booklets describing how to use them for training, and that would probably be good for you to use with Pickles. I have a few in my lists on Amazon and eBay. I'll keep you posted.

Chrissy Cross and Patsy Faye like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks, he's a terrible barker as most dachshunds are but I don't want him to stop barking totally...I like that he barks whenever anyone is anywhere near my house and that I don't want to stop...so it's tricky.

K E Gordon likes this.
  10. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

My dog was a doxie mix Chrissy, and he was a big barker too. It was so funny when he was little and I got him at the shelter, he was in a cage with his sister, and I got him because she was barking and he was quiet! Well, that didn't last! I swear that dog would bark to hear himself bark. I think he enjoyed the sound of his own voice. Good Luck with the barking issue. Maybe he needs a trainer..

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yep, they can bark more than any dog I know. I've even tried the dog collar once when he was younger but that made me wince more when I heard that high pitched bark. :(

An hour of barking can drive me crazy but I think the collars are cruel in my opinion. It was tricky getting it on him also. It had to be just right to work so when I put it on he would flex his neck so it was fatter, so when the collar was on and his neck was normal size, it was loose and didn't work...he's clever.

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Tootsie would bark when ever we put her outside in the back yard, and then I found this little gadget on amazon called a "dog repeller". It is under $6, and well worth the cost. Not only will it stop your dog from barking, you can use it to repel the neighbor dog if he is looking at you like he is not friendly.
    It has a little button you push which emits an untrasonic sound that the dogs can hear and we can't.

When Tootsie barked and I pushed the button, she stopped, and then started again. The second time I pushed it, she ran in Bobby's shop and hid !
    We actually haven't used it for over a year because it worked so well that she doesn't bark out there now unless there is actually something to bark at.
    Here is a little video from youtube that shows it in action. If you want one, just look up Pet Parade Dog Repeller on Amazon. Other places probably have it, too; but that is where I usually shop .
    It should stop Pickles from barking once he gets the idea that he is causing that noise, @Chrissy Page ,and it should also chase the neighbor dogs back into their own yards, @Diane Lane , and the neighbors won't even know you did it, because it is silent to humans.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks, @Yvonne Smith. I'll give it a try..as long as he doesn't stop barking completely, I don't want that either.

I just watched the video but the dogs weren't barking in the first place so I didn't get it.

Plus Pickles was next to me, wouldn't it have affected him?

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Possibly the video didn't record the sound. I hadn't considered that, and didn't actually play the tape when the dogs were right there.
    The device is actually listed as a dog "repeller", and is designed for someone who goes out walking and might have strange dogs come up to them. This device, as you can see from the video , certainly makes the dogs leave; but it DOES also stop them from barking , and then leave.
    It is also great for training them not to do something , like jumping on the couch. When the dog gets close and looks like they are going to jump up, you push the button, and they go away. Soon , they just give you a dirty look and don't even try to get on the couch after that.
    It is one of the handiest devices that I have used. It doesn't hurt the dog, they don't have to wear it like a bark collar, and you have complete control over when you push the button.
    The main thing is that you have to be close enough to the dog for it to work; so if you have a large back yard, and Pickles is at the far end of the yard barking, it is not going to work until you are closer to him.

Edit: the dogs in the video are NOT barking. He is just seeing if it repels them , and it does.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I played it again ...I still don't hear dogs barking or I'm so good at tuning them out. This time pickles lifted his head up though.

You gave me an idea though....I'm going to look for one on YouTube and see if when Pickles is barking if he will stop when I hit play.

It should work even if a video...right?

Ike Willis likes this.