The Good Morning Thread

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Diane Lane, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ah ! There you are Ike and we posted same time too ! :p
    @Ike Willis

Ike Willis likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh my gosh @Yvonne Smith and @Bobby Cole I cannot imagine going to the fitness center in that cold! :eek: I'm thinking of how I can get my Honey to go to the store later on and pick up some ingredients for a nice beef stew today. I really should have been born a "bear" so I could hibernate all winter. :p
    hibernation.jpg

3. Patsy Faye

Registered

I'm with you Babs ! :p

Babs Hunt likes this.
  4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha-Ha. Strangely enough, my dad got along great with the man. They would get to talking across the fence when dad came to my house to visit. They would tell each other war stories. Dad was with the US Army air corps 8th air corps, the "Mighty 8th" as it was known. Stationed in Mendlesham England.
    The neighbor was with the German Luftwaffe stationed all over Europe and the ME. Both were airplane mechanics.
    I was truly shocked at how well they got along. The woman seemed to hate everyone though.

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

IMG_3981.JPG
    Gosh, I might just go to the store myself instead of sending my Honey...the sun is really glorious even with the cold today!

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

That's a loverly picture

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The sun is beautiful here this morning, too; but not doing much to warm everything up at this point, and it is not going to get much better, even closer to noon. By Wednesday, we are supposed to be back into the 60's again, and that will be much nicer. I can hardly wait for spring to get here, and then summer, with hot days and a swimming pool to cool down in.
    Going out in the cold is never any fun, @Babs Hunt ; but since we lived in Idaho, where every day is going to be well below freezing, and nighttime is zero or below, and usually 2-3 feet of snow to wallow through, we have just gotten used to doing what needs to get done, regardless of the weather.
    Since we have no snow tires or any winter equipment for the car, we do stay home and inside when there is snow; but this is just cold and no snow. The car hates to be started in this much cold; but I just put some of the non-ethanol gas in the tank, so it will at least start (I hope ). Before i learned about doing that, it often would not start at all when it got this cold.

Ina I. Wonder and Babs Hunt like this.
  8. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Good Morning All! It was weird to see that post discussion between @Ike Willis and @Babs Hunt It's the first thing I saw on here this a.m. My neighbor who I've known for 1 year today, died yesterday morning:( She was 94, and her name was Gunhilde. The first time I met her she told me she was German. Very, strong accent. We never talked about what it was like for her back then, I honestly never thought to bring it up. But we never got to talk long. She had COPD real bad, used a walker, but she didn't say much even at the social events we have. She did say things like "no one likes me" and I'd laugh and tell her that was not true. She didn't say why she thought that.

One thing she so loved was my window decorations for Christmas, and she'd stop every day to look at them. Her caregiver or maybe Gunhilde decorated her own window, but she told me earlier she wasn't going to bother. One day she told me "I just want to go". I know what she meant, and now she's gone:( I will miss the crotchety, ole dame. She liked me, and always came to sit with me if I was down there:) I know a lot of the gals "didn't" like her. We say kids can be cruel, well, so can us older people.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is wonderful that you were able to share your caring and love with her, and I am sure that it gave her a peace in what she must have known were her last days, @Denise Happyfeet . It sounds like she was a very lonely person, and truly needed your friendship. I think it was @Joe Riley who posted in one of his threads that sometimes, WE are the only Bible someone ever sees. I think he said it best, that we are truly a "living Bible" for some people.
    I know this has to be hard after caring about your neighbor lady all of this time and being friends with her. Prayers for you in your sadness, and for her family if she has one.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet I am very sorry to hear about your neighbor and friend passing but very glad to hear that you helped make her last days on earth a happy experience. It sounds like God put right where He wants you to serve Him and that you have and can bless many of the people that live in your community. What a wonderful gift you have been given to minister to those who are lonely and alone.:)

11. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Denise Happyfeet , I know you are sad today, but I know the little German lady was greatful that in her last days she got to know you. You let her know that someone thought of her, that someone cared. So many elderly people are forgotten about by their families, so it is no wonder that they feel no one cares.

Just remember you made her smile. You showed her that someone thought enough of her to at least listen to whatever she might have to say. In her last days you gave her some attention, although she thought no one liked or cared about her. So she knew that at least one person cared about her before she passed. You were an angel sent to her, and she didn't have to leave this world feeling as if she didn't matter to anyone.

You were a blessing to her at the end, and I feel your kindness was much appreciated.

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

:)

Good Morning! Sharing one of my favorite morning songs with all you sleepheads, hope it brings a smile to your faces like it has to mine.:)

It's 23 degrees this morning. But today will start up the warming trend again and this week we will be in the 70's with lots of sunshine. Good thing too because I need to get myself down to Walmart and do a big grocery and bird feed, etc. shopping trip. I enjoy Walmart because it is "one stop" shopping and the prices are great for our budget too. Plus with our Medicare Advantage plan I get 10% back on all healthy foods I buy for us. And on my way out I always stop at the Subway in their store and get our favorite foot long sandwich to share for lunch or supper. ;)

It's a great day to be alive....so enjoy yours...I know I'm going to enjoy mine. :)

13. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

It’s Sunday morning. It’s very cold here in bacon land. About 2 degrees. Struggling to fully awaken from a very deep sleep, a rare thing for me these days, I kept expecting my mom to throw open my bedroom door.
    “Get up and start getting ready. It’s 4:30 am. We don’t want to be late for 6 am services. You wear your suit, ya hear?”
    “Uuhhh”.
    Then it would be dad’s turn. He would have fallen back asleep after mom roused him as she got up.
    I could hear her banging around in the kitchen as I took care of my bathroom business. Then, I stumbled, still half asleep, to the kitchen in my underwear. I didn’t want to eat breakfast dressed, and spill coffee or anything on myself. The gates of hell would have opened on me, had that happened.
    I don’t remember how old I was when it was determined I could switch from cocoa to coffee. But, my breakfast usually consisted of coffee, 2 or 3 slices of toast, and a few strips of bacon. I could have eggs, cereal or anything, but my appetite doesn’t wake up for a few hours after getting up.
    By then dad would be at the table, also in his underwear. And mom would start her usual interrogation.
    “You change out of your suit as soon as you get home, ya hear”.
    “Yffsh”.
    “If you got any homework don’t be forgetting to do it, ya hear”?
    “Esshh”.
    That woman just loved making me answer questions while I had a meal to eat. I don't think I ever heard her say anything that didn't require an answer.
    After eating, I would brush my teeth and get dressed, just in time to board dad’s beloved old Buick, and off we went, to church.
    Mass was at 6 am, but it was important to my parents to get there at least by 5:30 am. Any later, and in their eyes, we were late. We usually entered by the side door and took the nearest pew. That way, as soon as services were over, we high tailed it out the door, across the parking lot to the car, and home. My folks didn't believe in socializing with other church members in the parking lot.
    And, that was Sunday morning at my house.
    A few seconds after I became fully conscious I realized where I was, and that mom wouldn’t be waking me, nor making me wear a suit, or fixing my breakfast. I didn’t have to go to church, or even get up. Sunday just no longer feels like a different or special day.

14. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ike Willis Thanks for another great page from the "Diary" of your life. :)

How well I remember those Sunday mornings too with my Mom and Dad, and later with my own children. There was a big difference though in Sunday mornings with my children. For one thing we always went to the later morning Services so I wouldn't have to go through with my children what you described above. And my children didn't have to sit in the pews or benches with us and fidget because they didn't understand the grown up sermon, etc. Instead they had their own Children's church with the sermon, etc. given to fit their ages and understandings. I didn't hate Church growing up, just didn't understand "latin" nor much of anything else the Priest was trying to convey. I definitely made up my mind that if I ever had children I wasn't going to be taking them anywhere half asleep.

I'm not sorry to see those Sunday mornings of my childhood gone...but I do miss a lot of other days that used to be special to me that disappeared along with those Sunday mornings. And I miss alot of the people that disappeared along with them.

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Happy Sunday Morning all! ....see you in the funny papers!:D

[​IMG]