The Good Morning Thread

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Diane Lane, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Monday at last. Feels just like all the other days, when you're retired. It's getting warmer. We got 21 so far, at 6:45 am. Rain coming, tonight or tomorrow. Snow/sleet later.
    It would have been so easy for me to just stay in bed today. But, I got a maintenance man coming later. Kitchen sink is blowing soap bubbles out the drain again.
    I got no plans for today, or the week. Laundry is finally caught up. Don't have any appointments. Gonna just kick back and, that's all, I guess. Can't pop no tops anymore. I sure miss my beer days.
    My beer drinking career started when I was about 5. My gramps used to get beer deliveries at his house, just like the bars. Every Monday the old blue St. Claire bottling works truck would stop in the alley behind gramp's house. The man would wheel his cart up to the back porch and pick up the cases of empty bottles, usually 4-5. Under one case would be an envelope with cash in it. They would then leave 4-5 cases of beer.
    Gramps would store the beer on a landing on his cellar steps. A cousin and I often spent weekends at our grandparents house, and on one of them we were caught sitting on the cellar steps each guzzling bottles of beer. After that, the cellar door was kept locked.
    Strange, I went on to become a beeroholic. I loved the taste. My cousin never drank much through her life.

well_bye.jpg

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ike Willis Gosh I didn't know they actually made beer deliveries like they did milk deliveries back in the good old days. In a way that might have been a good thing since those drinking those beers wouldn't have to get out and drive a car while under the influence. Did the Breweries pay a deposit back to your gramps when they picked up the bottles Ike?

My husband is a "beeroholic" Ike but I'm sure he wasn't five years old when he acquired the "taste" for it. That's awfully young to acquire that taste. You have led a fasinating life Ike Willis and even though you have had to give up your beer, I hope you never give up sharing the diary of your life with us. And you always have a place to go Ike and something to do...just think of yourself as the Storytime story teller at the Library. We all wait in breathless anticipation for your next story Ike. ;)

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ike Willis - your Gramps sure was a guzzler Ike ! :p
    Guten Morgen :D

Ike Willis likes this.
  4. Ike Willis

Registered

Normally, they didn't make home beer deliveries back then in my town. My gramps had "connections". My gramps didn't drive and I don't think the deposits came until later. Not sure about that though. Below is the brand of beer the bottling works sold. It was made in the quad cities, about 25 miles upriver from my town. St. Claire bottling works made soda pop here. It's now a bank parking lot.
    22a98fc7b91ef65b8b929d453757cc1e.jpg

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I hope not "mafia" connections @Ike Willis. :eek: :p
    marriage-relationships-horses_h.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Terry Page, Patsy Faye and Ike Willis like this.
  6. Ike Willis

Registered

Well, gramps was a teamster.:eek: Not that kind though. A real one. He had a team of draft horses and hired out during the war years, when gas was rationed.

7. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I so enjoyed reading this Ike. Made me remember what some of my mornings were like;) I remember my little brother complaining that I "smacked" my toast when I ate it. Of course I had to smack it all the more when he would say that;) He still talks about it today, and also how I sat with my knees up at the table. I wonder if I tried hard I could still do that. Maybe not, but for old times sake, I think I'll smack my toast this a.m.;)

[​IMG]

8. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

It's a grey day here back in Worcester today and I am doing some tidying up around the house, plus I have an appointment with a solicitor this afternoon to sort out some legal things.

Have a great day whatever you are up to ...

Spring is in the air......I think and hope...

[​IMG]

9. Ike Willis

Registered

Mornin'. From here high atop my third story penthouse, overlooking one of my towns more scenic alley's, I see wet blacktop. A look at the temperature tells me it must be rain, since it's 40+ here in bacon city.
    Shouldn't call it bacon city, I guess. We ain't got no hogs on town. No four legged ones. My town was noted for pearl buttons back in time.
    During the war years there were lots of critters being raised in town though. Many people had chickens and rabbits. Some had a milk cow or two, if they lived on the edges of town and had an acreage.
    My grandfolks lived in the south end of my town, on the fringes. Gramps raised chickens and rabbits for eggs and meat.
    One day my cousins and I were visiting over the weekend. Two of us were in the kitchen talking to granny. Then it dawned on her that one was missing.
    "Where's Joy? Anyone seen Joy"?
    "Nope".
    Joy was the youngest. She was old enough she could walk and run.
    So, a search was begun for Joy. A scream from granny told us Joy was found. She got into the shed with the rabbit hutches, opened all the doors, then crawled into one of them.
    Meanwhile, gramp's rabbits were running all over the neighborhood.
    Gramps lost a few, and a padlock appeared on the rabbit and chicken areas after that.
    When I still lived at the folks house, a neighbor had a few chickens. Every morning I heard a rooster announcing the new day. I liked that. Don't know what the rules are for raising chickens in town now though. It's probably illegal for some liberal reason.:D

10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Here's a Rooster for you Ike :p
    upload_2017-1-10_12-36-28.jpeg Everyone Xx :)

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

And for you Terry - as I do like goats :D

Goat Face @.jpg Mornin' :p

12. Patsy Faye

Registered

[​IMG] Where's Babs ?

13. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh for sure Terry, LOL!

14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Good afternoon to all. I love the cool winters we have down here in Houston. Especially when the humidity is low.

@Ike Willis until about five years ago, we were still supplementing our income by raising a couple of cows, pigs, rabbits, chickens, and a good sized garden. Now that I'm alone, it's not economical for my needs, but I do miss the effection that comes with dealing with the animals every day. Animals can be so funny and loving.

Since I've been looking around for different things to fill my world now, I've decided that I'm going to learn how to play chess. Bobert plays with his father, but now that he lives with me he has no one to play with, so I'm going to see if this old brain can still learn new tricks. I've always wanted to learn, just never had the opportunity or time to apply myself to the game.

I've been looking for a medium firm, queen sized mattress set for Bobert, and I'm amazed at the cost. (He's been sleeping on an air mattress.) I thought $500 would do it, but I seem to be living in lala land. I can't believe the prices. I'm seeing $1000 to $2000 just for the box spring and mattress, and that does not include the bed frame. What am I not getting here?? Surely there has to be better deals than that.

Any of you know something about this that I don't??

15. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

A very good morning to you all, it's a sunny day clear blue sky and 10c ....I slept until 8:30 this morning so feel refreshed. I will carry on tidying up and sorting out what clothes and other stuff to take to India...

I remember I had a long dream about wandering through a Russian village trying to buy a tin of red kidney beans [​IMG] I found an old shop with very large tins mixed up with motor spare parts. I asked for a small can, but the owner said his wife would cook me some, so I followed her home, .........but then on the way got diverted into a path alongside a stream, where some locals were sat on a bench, they knew me and said hello Terry. I woke up then but have no idea what it all meant [​IMG]

Have a great Wednesday...

[​IMG]