The Joy Of Having A Vice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Corie Henson, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

What separates vice from diversion? I used to hear gamblers justifying their vice as a diversion, just for relaxation, an amusement. Why do men enjoy vices?

Alcoholism is one vice that is very common and I guess everyone here knows what an alcoholic is. I have known gamblers who couldn't seem to survive without that vice. They just love the thrill of betting and the prospect of winning is only secondary.

What is your opinion on vices? Why did man invent liquor, cigarettes, gambling, and other forms of entertainment that is addictive?

2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Never was content with just one vice. I guess my vice was having vices. Most are gone now. Old age, health and poverty took away most of my vices.
    However, I must say I enjoyed my vices immensely. Working long hours 5-6 days a week caused me to look forward to enjoying a vice or two. A pipe full of my favorite tobacco could be enjoyed while working, on many jobs. A few beers after a long day was more than welcome. Attending an auction on the rare weekends off was relaxing, as was a day of fishing or hunting.
    A life of just working all day and sleeping all night, every day and night, gets incredibly boring.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Bad and Good separates Vices and Diversions. Vices start out as diversions. Almost every diversion to excess becomes a vice, be it shopping, eating, electronic devices (interesting that "vices" is in that word lol), drinking, smoking, gambling, etc. Working excessively is sometimes out of necessity so that isn't always a vice.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Because although they aren't good for you "vices" are enjoyable!

I enjoyed smoking, quit 9 years ago but if I had one cigarette now I'd be hooked again. :(

Terry Page likes this.
  5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Nothing wrong with a good vice...

128.jpg

6. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I am just wondering if vices are always enjoyable?, I have had smokers tell me that they wish they could give it up, as they didn't even enjoy it any more, but were addicted to the nicotine. There seems to be a driven element in some addictions like gambling and alcohol, they just can't stop even though it has maybe wrecked their lives and isn't that enjoyable now.

Ike Willis likes this.
  7. Ike Willis

Registered

Smoking I found easy to give up. Though for a time, I really enjoyed smoking a pipe full of Sir Walter Raleigh as often as possible. It was a favorite of mine.
    Beer on the other hand, I can't totally give up. I've cut down considerably, but not out. In fact, I'm on my 3rd can now, as I type. As a wee lad, I found I really liked the taste of beer. Now, when I try to quit, if I see a drinking scene in a movie, or a beer commercial, the old craving kicks in big time.
    I've warned my kids, if I wind up in a nursing home and they come to visit, they better sneak in a beer or two, or just don't come.

Linda Binning and Terry Page like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I enjoyed the act of smoking not just the nicotine, the whole process. Especially later when it became so non fashionable to smoke and I would always have to go outside when visiting especially at my children's homes.

I loved going out for a few minutes of bliss all by myself!

Ike Willis and Terry Page like this.
  9. Terry Page

Registered

Do you really enjoy the beer though Ike or is it just a habit you can't kick? I got into the habit of drinking beer every day for years, but didn't get much effect from it or enjoyment in the end. I stopped recently which was pretty easy, but have the odd bottle at weekends now and really enjoy the taste and the slightly intoxicated effect.

Ike Willis likes this.
  10. Ike Willis

Registered

Your last sentence sums it up for me. I really enjoy the taste and the mild buzz.
    Back when I was hard core drinking, the bar maid at my favorite pub said she would see me walk in after work, drink all morning and walk out as straight as when I came in. I had a high tolerance to alcohol then. Not so much now though.

Terry Page likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm lucky that I don't like the taste of alcohol, not saying I didn't have a few times that I drank to where I couldn't even remember what I did, but it's been many years since I've even had a sip...don't care for it.

I also never had a slight buzz...I went straight to totally drunk.:)

Terry Page and Ike Willis like this.
  12. Ike Willis

Registered

Probably, I should never have mentioned my alcohol addiction. I'm certainly not proud of it. But, it's been a big part of my life since boyhood. I do keep trying though. Made it 6 long, agonizing months on the wagon once. So, I won't talk about it again.:)

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ike, talk all you want....and do the best you can! Addictions are difficult..I would still love a cigarette

Terry Page and Ike Willis like this.
  14. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Sometimes, temptation is too easy. I live about 20 metres from a pub, but it's a really rubbish pub. In many ways, this a good thing because it gives me no incentive to go there. If it was a decent pub, I'd be tempted.

Terry Page likes this.
  15. Terry Page

Registered

I never really touched alcohol, apart from the odd glass of wine until I was in my 40s, and never liked beer that much but developed a taste for it over the decades.

I didn't touch spirits until coming to Russia where they are so cheap at a dollar or so a bottle I was tempted and started on vodka and cognac, I gradually built up to a half bottle of vodka or cognac a day to get the buzz from it, then last summer Lisa and I went to a friends party in the country about an hour away on the train.
    The party took place in a garden marquee and the food was good and the drink plentiful, but the problem is (for me as it turned out) the Russians toast everything and anything constantly, and I joined in not realising or caring how much vodka and Johnnie Walker I was downing.

It came time to go home and by then I was well away with the fairies and we were kindly given a lift to the local rail station by our host, but being unable to stand upright by now we missed the first train back. I made the second one with Lisa's help, but though I have no memory of it I was sick twice on the train.
    The Russian guards (they have guards to protect the conductors) were very helpful and good about it according to Lisa, and I did get back to the apartment via the metro somehow.

The next morning I was slow but OK and Lisa was covered in bruises from manhandling me onto trains and metro carriages etc.
    The upshot is that I have never touched a drop of spirits since, it was the first and only time I have ever been really drunk but it will hopefully be the last.

Lisa was amazing just did what was necessary and saw the funny side with no recrimination at all.

Chrissy has heard this story before ;) and I can empathise with her going straight to drunk without the buzz......never again for me I hope :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015