The Oscars

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Hal Pollner, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You didn’t miss anything, @Lulu Moppet . It confused me, too; so I read back through the whole thread and couldn’t find anything that even began to reference what that post was referring to.
    Possibly, it was intended for a different thread; but I am not sure which one that might be , either.
    Nothing was deleted by either myself, or Ken, from this thread. (As a greeter, I can see deleted threads, so I would have seen it if a post had been deleted for any reason.)

Don Alaska and Lulu Moppet like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It was pretty subtle and possibly not even intended, in reference to Bohemian Rhapsody, which I loved by the way. I had to go through the thread a couple of times before deciding that that was probably it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Same thought for me :confused:

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Someone, even myself sometimes (LOL), has a problem or problems with something in life or what someone says. Basically, it's inevitable that it will happen and controversy will start up.

Wife and I just happen to love watching movies, just like certain tv shows, and watching to see who gets the big awards is always interesting to us. Like I've already stated in another thread, about Bohemian Rhapsody, there were a few scenes in the movie we really didn't like (men kissing), but those scenes were simply showing what Freddy Mercury's life was about. Other than those scenes, we absolutely loved the movie.
    Rented/watched Widows last weekend. Pretty interesting, but, again, a couple of sexual scenes we just didn't like. The ending of the movie was shocking, to say the least, but we wouldn't buy the movie for our movie library......nope, no way.

5. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

We used to watch but it's no longer entertaining for us to have to listen to nonsense that has nothing to do with the task at hand.

Not interested in the political opinions or stupid "jokes" of whoever is hosting nor those who choose to go on a diatribe about how they want the world to hear their hate.

I am, however, interested in the outcome.

I find the "fashions" to be rather interesting and even sometimes rather nice.

But all of that can be seen within moments of it happening - online - without having to be subjected to stuff that has nothing to do with the movies.

Joe Riley likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

The Oscars, just like other awards ceremonies, there are actors and others that take every chance they can to use the awards platform to make a statement about something. Perhaps, if it were us, on that platform and having the opportunity to make a political or other kind of statement, we do it. Just knowing how outgoing I can be/am, I'd do it...…...or, at the very least think about doing it.

But, while watching the ceremony, we have another station all ready to flip over to if the statement continues on and we simply don't agree with it. We done that when an award was given to a cast member of The Black Panther and, after finishing his acceptance speech, started to talk about Blacks in the movie and tv industry...….how things have gotten both better and worse for them. Almost as soon as he started it, we switched the channel.
    Way back when, Native Americans complained that white men and women were being used as Indians in movies and tv, but sure didn't go to the extreme. They made their point and many Native Americans were brought into the industry and made great actors and actresses in movies and tv shows.

7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

With a light snack and a cup of tea I started watching the academy awards. I thought they were terrible. I picked up a book I had checked out of the library this week, A Legacy of Spies. I'm taking a break. Anyone else watch the Awards?

8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

No, because I know so few of the actors/actresses now, and it's so slow moving. Is it over already?

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, the commercials were better than the Super Bowl's commercials...….

And I do enjoy howling at the "fashions" or as we call it "Formal Night at the Asylum"...……...

10. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I turned in at 11 pm just to see the best picture award, and this woman walked up on stage with the group accepting, wearing a thing that looked like a cape of red feathers, down to the floor in the back, and cut up front like a miniskirt. It was worth it just to see that.

oscars2019.jpg

11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought the opening music was horrible. Really. It was grating. I didn't know any of the movie nominees, few of the actors or actresses, the start up with no official emcee seemed disorganized. Perhaps it got better as it went along, I can't say, I was no longer viewing the program..

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I successfully avoided watching that for the 55th time.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, one thing for sure, not everyone likes Queen's music...……..BUT, sure do! Of course, I'm a former drummer of Classic Rock, so that tells my story.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, with all of the movies we watch, we knew most of the nominees and presenters. Even though we are not Adam Lambert fans at all, his singing of Queen songs was definitely good. Seeing Brian May, original Queen member, playing Lead Guitar and going to the front of the stage playing...…...just plain exceptional.

Seeing Bohemian Rhapsody win three Oscars was great. We didn't see Rami, who played Freddy Mercury, win Best Actor, but did record the Oscars, so will see it tonight.

Spike Lee wasn't happy at all that The Green Book won Best Picture. He actually got up and started to leave, but wasn't allowed out the door. He returned to his seat just as the ending speeches were done.

What I'm wondering is...…...how does the cast, and others, feel that Black Panther didn't win Best Picture. Guess the complaining will go on.

Now, we will have to rent/watch: The Green Book, Vice and a couple of other movies that were nominated.

15. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I know that the main purpose of wearing outlandish outfits (guys AND gals both) is to get as much attention as possible but some of those get-ups were plug-ugly. I really miss the days when the dresses were spectacularly beautiful and everyone had their hair coiffed. Some stars looked like they had raided Miss Ellen's portieres or the dumpster behind Goodwill AND hadn't had time to dry their hair so they had to stick their heads up through the limo sunroof on the way to the ceremonies (that's assuming they DID wash their hair, which some of them appeared not to have done.)

Of course, there are always the classy ones who never disappoint and look FABULOUS, DAHLING...….

Where's Mr. Blackwell when you need him? He's probably spinning in his grave.....they may have him hooked up to a generator powering the theater...…

Good Lord, I'm getting old and cranky.

Al Amoling, Nancy Hart and Don Alaska like this.