The Pit And The Peak Of Your Day

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We do our banking through a credit union and haven't received canceled checks in many years. There is an electronic statement of all checks monthly but the actual checks are never seen again. Actually we don't write many checks at all because we use the bill paying option at the credit union, and debit cards in the stores.

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Same here but there are those that still use bank checks and drafts from credit unions. That's a good possibility why the duplicate check was quickly caught as a fraudulent one.

Hopefully, nothing will change for your MIL's banking preference.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Not happy..and you can see why

Attached Files:

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Uh oh ...

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Just when I thought things couldn't get any "pittier", my husband's cousin called to tell him that her mother died early this morning. This is his mother's younger sister, so he has gone over to tell his mother the sad news. I sent her a plate of breakfast since the "Visiting Angels" haven't been to check on her all week. I guess they should change their name to "Visiting Unless We Can Come Up With An Excuse Not To Angels." At the times we've needed them most, they are unavailable. :rolleyes:

No peak to my day, and apparently that will be the status quo for a while. Just plenty of pits.

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's too bad. I hope she doesn't take it too hard.

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Did your husband’s aunt live in Texas also , @Beth Gallagher ? Had she been sickly, or was this pretty much of a shock for everyone , hoping it was not related to the freezing weather and no heat or power down there.
    I see on my radar even more snow down in the bottom of Texas, but hoping that it will miss Houston and you will get power again soon this time.
    Hugs and prayers, as always....

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yes, she lived in Dayton, east of Houston, Yvonne. She had been ill with lung disease and on hospice for the past month or so. She lived with her daughter.

I just talked to my son who lives near Smithville; he said it has been snowing there since about 9 this morning. We haven't had much snow at all (none sticking on the ground) but are expecting another record freeze tonight. We are getting a trickle of water and the power has been on all day, so hopefully by tomorrow things will be relatively normal.

Von Jones and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher Sorry to hear about more bad news. I am not sure anything will return to normal for any of us. I hope they get your water pressure back soon. Reports from several cousins in Texas have all been bad regarding weather and health. One reported his wife died, then he got covid, and then the family shared property isn't worth the yearly taxes so others were gifting their share to one cousin that could add it to her property without much tax increase. I jumped at that to save my share of taxes, but it also dashed my dreams of being an oil and gas millionaire. All this bad news from Texas has me listening to Stevie Ray.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Faye--you've always sounded like you'd fit right in as a Texas Gal. :D Sorry you are getting bad news from your family.

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Things are getting back to normal around here. House is warm, cable is on, water is heated (but still running slow). Unfortunately the garbage disposal decided to crap out... it's always something. It's like the power outage caused it to seize up; no amount of jimmying or pressing the Reset button has helped. Time to clean out all the junk under the kitchen sink. :eek:

Hedi Mitchell and Faye Fox like this.
  13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

This is just a update post statement, about this past week. Last week due to the weather in Texas leaving us freezing, we were forced to go three miles down the road to friends house. We camped out on their living room. Wednesday night found out electricity was on but no water. Pipes had burst in several units including ours. Our apartment was find, but the ones around us were not. Mark had bucket of about 8 gallon capacity, so he would go to another bldg that had water,
    fill up and head back to our place. I boiled water for everything due to the Boil only ban. Best as we could tell items in freezer and fridge seemed fine.
    We struggled through until Monday when things were better.
    I had appt. with heart doctor around 1 p.m I was feeling really good that day, the sun was out, warmer and the doctor said i was healthy for now, see you in 7 mos. !
    Unless of course I had issue. My temperature was 98.2 -a tad high for me. I was excited and mentally tapped danced around in my head.
    Made a bite of dinner that included some Idaho frozen French fried potatoes. Did not seem to have same flavor but not bad tasting.
    At around 11;10 pm I woke up freezing to the point of shaking . Could not sleep. Went to recliner. Became nauseous and stayed that way until 3 am when the vomiting
    started, but only three times. Miserable and freezing this continued on. I had a fever of 100.7.
    I di not know what to do, as every damn doctor thinks you may have the Virus and i was in no mood to be treated as such. My first thought is food poisoning.
    I hurt all over worse than normal, and could barley move. Mark was looking after me best as he could. I slept off and on constantly, except for the dry heaves.
    By yesterday
    I was feeling much better, and managed to eat something. Bland diet all day. As of this morning at 4 am am feeling much better still Mark found out from maintaince man a stomach virus was going around and his family even had a round . So which was it- spoiled food or stomach virus? Regardless i am throwing out everything in freezer and fridge -luckily not whole lot .
    So aside from waking up at 3 am due to a very noisy thunderstorm all night long, and a nosebleed at 4:15 am this morning I am just FRICKEN fine thank you:D
    Peak in all of this- could of been much worse:)

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell Yes, food poisoning is no fun. Your description brought back memories of 1984 when I was one of 750 poisoned by the disciples of the Baghwan in the first bioterror attack in the USA in hopes of swaying a local election. I haven't eaten a salad at Taco Time since.

Fricken fine says it all.

Hedi Mitchell and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm glad you are better and got a good report from the doc, Gloria. You know, I was wondering if anyone became ill from accidentally ingesting some of the "unboiled" water. So much of Texas was under a boil water order and I can't tell you how many times I'd start to brush my teeth and run my toothbrush under the water without thinking. :rolleyes: (Even with bottled water and a paper cup sitting right there!)

Von Jones, Hedi Mitchell and Faye Fox like this.