The Pit And The Peak Of Your Day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

No you misunderstand @Babs Hunt , what I meant was any visitor to the uk if taken suddenly ill, can have immediate treatment at our hospitals, (no waiting) and completely free. ..unlike visitors to the USA who would be charged a hefty bill for any treatment so therefore have to ensure if visiting the USA have themselves very well covered by insurance. .

Babs Hunt likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yep tim that's how it used to be until this recent influx of immigrants....now even the village surgery can't cope with demands on services. Most surgeries now only allow 8 minutes for an appointment, and that's after waiting up to 3 weeks to see the GP..(although if it's very urgent you will be seen the same day).. In our surgery now, we've just recently been informed that we're now only permitted to ask the doctor about one ailment.. which is a farce because sometimes the reason for one ailment may be what's causing another, but we're not permitted to ask about that..we must make yet another appointment to talk about the second ailment potentially another 3 weeks hence...and bear in mind I live in a village near a small market town and this happening here...so I can only imagine the horrors ( well I don't have to imagine I hear about it all the time in the media) which are happening in surgeries London and all the other Large towns and cities in the whole of the UK..Doctors and nursing staff are under the most immense pressure ever in the history of the NHS...and are either leaving to go into the Private sector or are leaving the job altogether..and being replaced by foreign nursing staff who can barely understand much less speak English ( I'm not exaggerating )..this is fact. My last stint in hospital just last summer I witnessed it for myself and it was shocking to watch patients ask these ''nurses '' or nursing aids for even the simplest things, and not be understood, and the wrong thing brought to them.. ..Oooh I'm sorry I could go on at great length about this..but I won't this is not the place... but yes Tim, a great deal has changed in a very short time, I feel that you would notice this if you were ever to return to live here again.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders Yes, that was the late 80's and a very small Village.

On Wednesdays, the wife and youngest would walk down to High Street
    with their baskets to do the shopping.
    The last stop was always the Bakery for bread and the youngest always got
    a treat from the lady would owned it.

On Saturday morning I would go out and sweep the entire outside front of the house.

A treat for our family was a sit down dinner at the local Pub.
    Great food prepared by the wife of the couple who ran the place.
    My oldest and I really liked the Sheppard's Pie and my youngest liked the burger
    with an egg on top. Wife always had a 'special' the two ladies came up with.

Indeed a different time and I'm sure things have changed a lot.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

It's a shame about that too...when you live there and would not get that same treatment Holly. :(

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Registered

Tim sorry I meant to get back to you with this. yes there are a few villages which are still similar to what you describe but they are in the larger villages. here where the villages are tiny, we no longer have any shops at all, nor a post office. We all still tend to go to the pub on Sundays..for lunch, all the villages still have pubs..in fact some had 2 or 3 ( even the small villages and hamlets).. and of course we're British so the w/e is very much a day for cleaning outside the house and mowing in the summer.

The cities have changed beyond all recognition since you've were living here tho'..not sure if you ever ventured into the cities..but I'm glad you have such good memories of here, especially as you were roughly in my area..so you know what it's like here in the South East..

6. Holly Saunders

Registered

My Peak :..I'm not sure if it's a peak lol..but it's my 17th wedding anniversary today.
    Another peak is that my elderly very poorly grandfurkid has come through surgery today, after having had a lymph node removed..gotta wait now for 14 days for the results of her tumours.. Just delighted she survived because she's so old and so sick.

Pit:..so far none really... please let it continue.. :D

Chrissy Cross and Patsy Faye like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Being married for 17 years, to me, is definitely a "peak". We will be celebrating our 16th this coming March.

Happy Anniversary!!

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

Thank you so much Cody... :D

9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

upload_2018-1-9_18-28-31.jpeg HOLLY x

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

Patsy Faye likes this.
  11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

The Peak of my day has been not having to get up and bring my husband to work for 5am and actually sleepIng until 10am for a change. :)

12. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

10:00 am!!?!....how did you manage that? Did you go back to bed after waking early?

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, once I made sure the coffee was brewing I got back under the covers and fell right back to sleep. I think I could do this because yesterday I spend from 9am until 3pm taking care of my two youngest grandkids and we played so hard I was worn out by the time I got back home. :)

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Pit.......none, so far (and hopefully for the rest of the day)

Peak........done the last load of laundry and making dinner for wife and I tonight. AND, getting things together for our week in Colorado in July.

15. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Well-Known Member
    Registered

Amazing what can happen in just a week. I posted on Jan. 4th
    that we had decided that I would stay part-time at the Hotel.

Well, they got to me Friday.

I go back full time the 22nd of Jan.

What changed my mind was the training part.
    Boss wants some knowledge passed on.
    I can deal with that.

Also, see an RV in my future...:D

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  16. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

My Pit for today was opening yesterday's electric bill that came in the mail. With this cold weather our bill went from $78 on our last bill to $134. this time. Our highest bill in all the years we have been living here. :( Next bill probably won't be any better.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  17. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I was kind of shocked also..my bill was $130 and I only heat for a couple hours in the morning....usually my winter bill is about $60...I'm thinking rates went up.

I was also gone for a week at Christmas which would be part of this bill..And then I turn the heat off completely.

When I get back I'm going to make more of a conscious effort in turning off the heat.

18. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

:( I keep our thermostat between 68-70 degrees when my Honey is at work, but when he comes home he can't get warm so the thermostat goes up and down. I really don't like winter at all anymore because of this. I thought with the space heater that I got him we would stop having this problem...but with temps in the 20's this winter the problem is on going.

19. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I set mine at 66 because during the day the temp in the house climbs by itself to 68 on most days.

At night if I turn it off and it's a real,cold night the house cools off to about 63-64, then when I get up I turn on the heat.

20. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We put our thermostat any lower than 77, and most times it is at 78 and sometimes 79. We don’t like it cold in our apartment.

After we move, we will use an electric blanket at night, however, still use heat, just not as high.

What we do know, at this age and older, having it too cold in a living environment isn’t that good. But, that is basically a personal choice of ours.

21. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I can't sleep if it's too hot.

22. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

78 isn’t too hot for us. It’s just right.

23. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Are you talking in the summer or winter?

I have my air set at 77-78

24. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

Another pit for yesterday: Our Saints lost to the Vikings so they are finished for the season. The game yesterday started off lousy but during the second half our Saints ended up having a one point lead in the last 10 or 11 seconds of the game. It seemed like we had won, but the Vikings caught a long pass and in those last few seconds the one who caught the ball had a clear path all the way to the winning touchdown. None of our Saints were anywhere around him to stop him and that was certainly a mess up for our team. :(

25. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Our furnace never seems to keep the house either warm enough or cold enough. In the winter, it never gets over 70 in here, and is usually in the 60’s during the day, and 50’s at night. With this cold snap, it is even colder, and the bedroom is in the 40’s when I get up in the morning.
    In the summertime, no matter where we set the thermostat, it is always over 80 during the day, and almost that hot all night.
    Plus, we try not to set it too hot or too cold, so that we can keep the electrical bill as low as possible. Sometimes, I really envy my friend, Evelyn, because all of her utilities are paid with her rent, and she can always have climate control, year around.
    It seems like half of the year, I am freezing, and the other half, I am huffing and puffing because I can’t breathe in the heat.