The Pit And The Peak Of Your Day

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 26, 2017.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Peak: I bought a tin of Danish Butter Cookies at ALDI yesterday.
    Pit: I've eaten half of them.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

3. John Brunner

This time of year is a killer.

4. John Brunner

Peak: Went to a couple of events this afternoon and evening.

The first one was a Christmas event at one of the churches in the charge that I attended. It was a nice event. A couple of the little kids dressed up as Joseph and Mary, while a 3rd little girl dressed as an angel. The angel girl looked to be maybe 3 or 4 years old. It was kind of touching because she really looked like a sweet little angel. I got a chance to catch up with folks I've not seen in a while...and we ate dinner.

After that I drove to a friend's combo birthday/retirement party. It was held in another one of the charge churches I used to attend. (Some folks here use the churches and the facilities as an extension of their homes.) I see the folks who were at this party semi-regularly. We had a good time...and I ate more food.

Pit: I have no food impulse control.

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

It's always something! People finding new ways to steal and hurt.

The good news is, I never believed in gift cards. I just send the money. You can choose what store to use etc.

6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Seems like an awful lot of trouble for the crooks. I can't imagine this is widespread. But maybe I don't understand what she's describing.
    Me either. The amount never comes out exactly right, so you buy more or don't use it all.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I sometimes gave niece and nephews VISA gift cards so they could spend it wherever they wanted, or convert it into cash. But I agree that those residual amounts can be a pain.

I was thinking the same thing. They have verified this happening exactly One Time. So how can the cop give us an exact, detailed demonstration over what these people are that person is doing?

On the other hand, the money is loaded onto the card the moment the buyer goes through the checkout line, and the recipient won't be opening it up until at least Christmas day...maybe later. So there is a window of opportunity for the thief to periodically go online to see if someone has loaded money onto that specific card that they compromised. But still...

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

No Pit today yet.

Peak today: As I was doing some reorganizing in the basement I came across a crate that had car stuff in it. There was an almost empty container of Prestone anit-freeze/coolant 50/50. So apparently Johnny had added it in the past. I was just saying I didn't know the maintenance history of My Girl now I know. :)

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

No wonder so many of us in SOF like you, John. You can be hilarious!

10. Nancy Hart

Registered

Peak: Went shopping for 6 things yesterday. All 6 were supposed to be at Walmart. Checked and wrote down the aisle numbers before leaving. One stop shop. Yes! :)

Pit: I couldn't find any of them. The aisle letters could not be found, and the ones without letters were scattered all over the store with no pattern. Was able to flag one store clerk who showed me one item on an unlabeled aisle. He said aisle M does not exist.

I'm afraid I looked like the stereotypical little old lady, wandering the store lost, for the better part of an hour.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm just shocked that 1) you found a store clerk in Walmart and 2) they actually knew where something is. :D

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Peak: Had descent buffet breakfast at South Point Garden Buffet on Saturday AM and then headed over to Cowboy Christmas (again) at Las Vegas Convention Center. We bought my wife a beautiful western belt, similar to mine, for Christmas.

Pit: Saturday was last day of rodeo and Cowboy Christmas and parking was absolutely horrible at Convention Center! Both of us could barely walk back to our vehicle. Got home totally exhausted. Unfortunately, our sinus colds got worse, so did nothing yesterday. Sinus a little better today, but still not "up to par".

13. Nancy Hart

Registered

Me too. I think he was new. He will learn.

14. John Brunner

"M" = Middle...as in The Middle of a long aisle.

I ran into this with some supplements that the App showed in stock, yet there were none on the shelf. I can't recall if the App showed Aisle M or if the clerk had it on her system or both, but she, too, said "There is no such place." I found them in a floor display in the middle of one of the long aisles that runs the length of the store, sort of near its original location. (My store has 3 of these wall-to-wall aisles running left-to-right, and 3 running front-to-back.)

These long aisles have no street sign. I imagine that the manufacturer/distributor pays to have the product pulled out of the regular location and put where people will trip over it for a while. When that display was taken down and the product was put back in its normal spot, the Aisle Number in the App changed back to normal.

Now I'm depressed that I actually know this.

15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

PIT
    It was a crazy morning, we had TV, refrigerator repairman, and window dressing installation all going on at about the same time.
    My new TV was delivered early this morning, it was pretty difficult for me and my wife to get it on its stand, we eventually succeeded.
    Soon after the TV was delivered the refrigerator repairman showed up, My refrigerator was being repaired because my wife and daughter felt the water wasn't being dispensed fast enough. The repairman replaced filter, valve assembly, check the water intake line, when done we got a slight improvement.
    As the repairman leaves the window dressing company called they was wondering if it was okay to come over and install some of our shades, they didn't have all of them, however they had enough to spend a couple of hours installing them. We are still putting stuff away from the mobile homes so we had to clean anything away from windows that we're going to get shades.
    After the shade installers left I played with the TV remote trying to get that hooked up to the Wi-Fi and to the cable box. Looks like these TVs today are so complicated this is going to take me a little while to understand all the functions. I did get the cable box hooked up and the Wi-Fi heaven forbid my wife miss her soaps.
    It's an LG TV and they have their own free streaming service that you can use which I intend to try one day it also has Alexa hooked up to it if you so choose to use it. What I don't like is this not one button on the remote to select the input I still haven't figured out where to find it on the screen.

PEAK

Picture on the new TV is much better than the prior TV, plus it's a larger screen size so it's more enjoyable to watch.
    The other TV will be going into our bedroom so I'll be able to go and watch some of my shows when the new TV is in use.
    Now that the morning Rush is over we can relax and enjoy the rest of the day.