The Pit And The Peak Of Your Day

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I would eat them all :D

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never made a pizza always ordered one. It's been a while since I did that. I was so disappointed that I just gave up on ordering any pizza from anywhere and buy them at them store now.

Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You should give it (homemade) a shot, just once. The canned pizza sauces aren't too bad, although homemade ones are pretty easy to make, since many of them are not cooked.

I've made pizza off & on for most of my adult life, but have most often had carry out or store bought. But homemade is best.

Tony Page and Von Jones like this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

For pizza, we used to use Pillsbury Hot Roll mix. Recipe for pizza crust on the box. It was really good. I think they make dedicated pizza crust mix now.

upload_2024-2-17_10-4-52.png

John Brunner and Tony Page like this.
  5. John Brunner

You reminded me of this stuff we would get when I was a kid:

[​IMG]

There was a bag of the dough ingredients and a can of sauce. I forget what the "cheese" was...likely grated.

That would be the Peak of our day back then.

6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

When we feel like making pizza and don't want to make the dough, we can buy it from our local Pizza restaurant.

7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was in high school They made the english muffin pizza, Except they used either cheddar or american cheese.

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My granddaughters only like cheese pizza which shocked me. :eek: During one summer (school being out) I served pizza with pepperoni and sausage. They all handed back their plates with pepperoni and sausage on it and asked me what I wanted them to do with it. I said "What?!" o_Oo_O

9. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been buying frozen pizza while at the grocery since it's so easy to just grab instead of making a second trip to an actual pizzeria like I always did before covid. I promised myself to start going there next Friday. It used to be $11 for a tray but expect sticker shock now.

Von Jones and Tony Page like this.
  10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Prior to COVID, an 18 inch round pizza was about $9-11, special were $7.99, now they cost $21-25.

Ed Wilson, Von Jones and John Brunner like this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

May I just say:
    bleeagchhh

Von Jones, Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My grocery store deli sells fresh (not frozen) pizzas. Occasionally I buy one of those, either plain cheese or pepperoni, then I add a few of my own ingredients and a bit more cheese before baking. I never found a frozen pizza that I thought was any good, though when our kids were teenagers I always kept frozen pizzas in the freezer. I remember buying the small "individual" pizzas that they liked for an after school snack. I have also purchased Boboli pizza crusts but they are mediocre. :D

13. John Brunner

I've had both the Walmart and the ALDI refrigerated pizzas. I always get the meat pizza and then pile on my own veggies and extra cheese. They're edible enough, and the price is right.

Regarding those individual frozen pizzas...I never tried them until I was in my fifties. For a while I was keeping a box of "Ellios" square slices in the freezer and adding my own toppings. Throw a salad on the side and it makes a fast meal. I guess I tired of them at some point.

One thing I'm gonna get back into making is calzones. I would make up a batch of meat-filled and a batch of spinach/ricotta-filled and freeze them. THOSE are good!

14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

That's the nice thing about calzone you can fill them whenever you're heart desires, Same goes for Focaccia use whatever topping you like.
    A few years back I tried a frozen pizza from BJ's I believe it's name was Fresca, I was pleasantly surprised I enjoyed it.
    Most frozen pizzas are o k in a pinch, However, it could never replace a pizza restaurant Pizza.

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. John Brunner

Peak: There's a multi-county public/private mental health services organization that has a "club" in my county for special needs folks to hang out together during the day. They pick these people up from their homes across the entire 6-7 county region as-needed and take them back home in the afternoon. The church I had been going to would have these folks join us for pancakes and Bingo on Shrove Tuesday. This fizzled out due to their transportation needs...only 3-4 of them could make it. So a few years ago, the church started going to the club during Lent to make pancakes & sausage and play Bingo there. That way, all of the folks could participate. The church was short-handed this year, so I went & manned the kitchen. It was a good time.

Pit: I had to get my burro out of bed early to go do this.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024