The Pit And The Peak Of Your Day

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Holly Saunders, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Pit: I went to return a Christmas present today (an office chair that I though was too big and bulky for my needs; it was unassembled in a box so I didn't know how it felt).

Peak: Got to the store and sat down in the model chair and decided I really liked it after all. Comfy.

2. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Ah, that's a bad place to get a cut. I guess a pressure bandaid and no using it for a day or so. Healing should be fast. It was difficult for me as I am left handed and sure enough, that's the finger I cut. Put an antibacterial gel on it as well. Hope it's ok shortly.

3. Monica Rich

Monica Rich Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I got tired of oopses, cuts, nicks, scratches. My skin is so sensitive that even dusting and simple house tasks I can get a scuff, scrape or scratch from a ruff or sharp edge.

So I bought boxes of the doctor/food service style of disposable gloves from Costco. I bought Large so they are loose and baggy and easy to slip off and on and the Mediums that fit much snugger.
    Buying them from Costco they are just a penny or so a glove. They come in bulk so the four boxes last me years.
    Depending what I use them for, I wear them more then once. Not everything we do contaminates them.
    I also keep the food preparation/kitchen chores pair separate from those I wear to dust and do house chores.
    They also work very well for "light" patio/garden tasks.

The tight fitting ones work best for knife and scissor and food cooking type work. The baggier large size works well for gardening, dishes, housework, cleaning bathrooms etc because I can just slip them off/on easily without tugging on the tips of fingers..

They also protect us from being exposed to soaps, cleaning products. Even though I only use safer natural substances to clean. I don't want that on my skin. Our skin absorbs everything we use.

Numerous times a glove has been damaged and as I slip on a replacement I am grateful because that damage could have been my skin instead of the glove.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  4. Lois Winters

Registered

I always keep surgical gloves handy. Sadly, I don't use them until something drastic occurs.:(

Bess Barber likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not inclined to wear gloves so that wouldn't work for me.

Lois Winters likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I do the same as @Monica Rich , I wear surgical gloves for most things because I'm just a little delicate thing, and I cut and scrape easily... :D I use heavier duty gloves, thicker than Marigolds that I get in Spain for washing up or dirtier jobs...

Monica Rich and Lois Winters like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This sounds a lot like how I felt when I had the pulmonary embolism a couple of years ago, Lois. I think that you said you were taking a long car ride to the place where you had Christmas, and if you didn’t walk enough on the trip, getting a blood clot in your leg is a possibility. If that happened, and it moved to your lung, then you are probably going to need to go to the hospital again.

I am hoping that this is not what happened, but if it does not get better or go away, you might want to have them check it. What they did with me was find the blood clot in my leg, and then they surmised that it had traveled to my lungs.
    By the time I finally decided that it was not going to go away, It hurt so much that I could barely breathe, and I had NO idea what was causing it.

Bess Barber and Lois Winters like this.
  8. Lois Winters

Registered

Yvonne, I found a huge bruise on my left ankle as well and cannot imagine from whence it came. However, due to neuropathy, I am not steady with balance and often bump into something and simply ignore it since I cannot feel it. I know what pulmonary embolism is and I can imagine what you went through. My dad went through that same thing one year back in 1970. Fortunately, I was home at the time and he explained his symptoms to me. Well, I made sure he went to the hospital fast and he was very lucky. I have none of the symptoms of this, and the pain in my side has abated markedly. It definitely is muscle spasms I am dealing with. Also, I finally took the last suture out of my finger today. What I do have on my lungs, Yvonne are a couple of nodes. They may have to be removed. I am having a CT scan next week and the doctor will make a decision then. I thank you for your concern. Need more friends like you. xxx

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am thankful that it was just muscle spasms, and that they are going away, @Lois Winters ! I always wait to see if something won’t just get better and go away before going to the doctor/hospital, but the pain from the blood clot in my lungs just kept getting worse, until I was gasping and couldn’t even breathe , it hurt so much to try.
    I have gotten bruises and not known/remembered when and how I get them, too.
    Having nods removed from your lungs doesn’t sound like much fun either ! Is it a long procedure or a fairly simple one ?

Lois Winters likes this.
  10. Lois Winters

Registered

Actually, Yvonne, it isn't as big a deal as it was when I was an O.R. nurse. Back then, it could have been the entire lung or at least one lobe removed. Today, they remove the node and a small amount of tissue surrounding it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

There are some cheaper thin blue ones that Walmart carries. You can barely feel them and they don't make your hands sweat. We use them at the church when serving food and I keep some handy at home just incase. I even used them to wash my hair one time after I cut my hand slicing an onion. It wasn't a bad cut, but I had to finish making the hamburger patties.

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sweet and Sour: I’ve had a day. Coffee was good, the morning was fairly calm until.......I heard the fire engines.
    Normally I wouldn’t blink and eye about it because we always hear fire engines, ambulances, cops and even the boom boom of people playing the base to loud on their car stereos.
    But this time, the fire department went to the house behind us. Yup, one of the houses I manage had a fire in the living room. The fire was indeed put out and but alas, the renter can no longer stay there but then, I didn’t want him to anyway because he’s a couple of months behind on his rent. The eviction notice was in the mail so to speak.

The house fire took up nearly all morning and part of the afternoon what with talking to the police, the firemen, the fire inspector and the owner.

With all of that partially over, I was thinking to myself a little while ago that it would be wonderful to have something nice happen tonight before it’s time to say goodnight. It did.
    I was perusing through a couple of things on YouTube and ran across a Jeff Foxworthy Christmas..y kind of thing.
    He starts out talking about giving a Bible Study at a mission in Atlanta.....to program people. Uh, says I, there’s only one mission in the middle of the City of Atlanta with a program so it would have to be the Atlanta Union Mission which is one of the missions where I taught and also ran the food department.
    I helped start that program and here was Jeff Foxworthy giving Bible lessons to the programmers! “Wow” says I.
    The topic he talked about did indeed bring a tear to my eyes because frankly, I was proud to help start the program and now even prouder of the men who seem to be doing so well in it.

It’s a short listen but I think it’s worth it.

13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

WoW, Bobby..Just WoW!!!! ^^^^^^

Bess Barber and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Now that's what you call a peak of the day @Bobby Cole. Thank you for sharing.

Bess Barber and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Peak: Comcast sent me an email that they finally credited my account the $70 overcharge that I have called about since last OCTOBER. :mad: I guess showing up at their store and behaving badly finally paid off. :D

Pit: None so far but the day is young.