The Queen

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Hedi Mitchell, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Phil was not to be seen, think he lives at Sandringham these days

I Wish him a Happy 98th Birthday for tomorrow.

Rumour is the Queen has brought him a new car

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Only one answer to that ……………….. :p

Tom Galty likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

He bought himself a new car... :rolleyes:

Zara & Mike Tindall and their children weren't there either.... yet Zara's Brother Peter , his wife and family were...

Tom Galty likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

For the past couple of days I have watched and enjoyed The Royal House of Windsor on Netflix, detailing the last 100 years of the royal family. I love seeing the old historical clips of young Elizabeth, her parents, and various family members. The show is several hours of documentary, film clips and actual letters/documents from various historical archives.

I found particularly interesting the kinder treatment of Camilla in this series, as she has been vilified in most reports for years. Also this particular documentary casts a harsher look at Diana and her motives, so that was a bit of an eye-opener. (I must admit that I have never felt kindly toward Camilla and haven't "warmed" any, but that's my problem. :D)

Of particular note (to me) was one assertion that Camilla will "absolutely" be crowned Queen when Charles finally ascends to the throne. How do you UK members feel about that? Do you believe Camilla will ever hold the title?

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Registered

Technically she will be Queen Consort, because she'll be married to the King, so although she would be entitled to be called Queen..she won't BE the Queen, she won't be Her Majesty the Queen..... . However , she doesn't have to take that title, she can refuse, and as she's married to the ''Prince of Wales''..she can in fact choose to change her title when Charles becomes King.. to The princess of Wales, rather than the Duchess of Cornwall as she is now.... There's speculation that she will in fact choose to do that.. but I'm not convinced PC wouldn't want her to take the title of Queen.

Personally, I don't dislike her , I don't particularly like her either.. but I would rather she was never known as Queen !!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I admit that I don't understand the methodology surrounding who gets a title and who doesn't. :D I thought I understood from the documentary that Charles would have the authority to bestow the (non-HRH) title of queen on Camilla once he is king. Apparently Queen Elizabeth is opposed to Camilla having the official title so it may not happen. Thanks for the explanation.

There was a segment in the documentary about Andrew having a fit at one point about his daughters having titles, but I need to watch that portion again to see what was going on there. LOL I find this all very interesting.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hmmm, this is interesting, from The Week, UK website article about whether Camilla will be queen:

"Another obstacle to her becoming Queen Consort is William and Harry. The Express has reported that the princes could put a stop to Camilla’s royal ambitions, and cited a palace source who said that Charles will need the backing of his sons to name his wife Queen, and that they are unlikely to grant it."

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Does Camilla have "Royal ambitions"? To me, she has seemed to be happy just being by his side, quietly in the background. I don't see her grabbing headlines, unlike some of the newer members of the royal family.

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

I actually agree with this. I don't believe she would choose to be Queen consort if she has the option not to .

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Registered

I've ever heard that before, and I find it hard to believe !!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Patsy Faye

Registered

Diana definitely had mental health issues, she was at breaking point a couple of times. Understandable, when she realised she
    was wed simply to produce babies

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The article that quote is from is linked in my post, Holly. Some UK publication called "The Week." I find it hard to believe, too.

13. Patsy Faye

Registered

Not all we read is true

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I tend to forget how young Diana was when she was thrust upon the world stage... only 19. Plus she had not been "groomed" for the life she signed on for, so I'm sure it was a real strain on her as a young woman (teenager!) Then the added humiliation of Camilla...ugh. I suppose I shall never care for Camilla, no matter that she has been "legitimized."

Patsy Faye likes this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Registered

Same here