The Tie That Binds Is An Anachronistic Relic

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Kalvin Mitnic, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Kalvin Mitnic

Kalvin Mitnic Veteran Member
    Registered

Such a coincidence, me neither nor a tie, nor a suit. So you agree with me then. You dispensed with the unwanted conventional encumbrance.

Sheldon Scott and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Superfluous !!! :rolleyes:

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

That's OK Sheldon, for me, clothes 'do' make the man, although the tie is not that important but smart casual is.
    My Husband does not wear a tie either :rolleyes: but I do like his waistcoat (vest to you) :p

Chrissy Cross and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I've done many things to a make living and make ends meet. I started out in the oil patch at sixteen (when you had to be eighteen to work in the oil field) I've pulled casings, rod & tubing, worked on a drilling rig floor when you manhandled the slips when it was one of the most dangerous job in the industry. I worked some little time in the eagle's nest at the top of the derrick when vacation left a vacancy. I've even climbed down the guy wire during a fire caused by a blowout.. I worked for Halliburton in their Fracking, Cementing and Acidizing departments. I've farmed, worked on a cattle ranch, hauled produced from the Texas valley for a small business in north Texas. I've been an accounting clerk, draftsman in an engineering department, worked on line crews sitting poles, framing cross arms, stringing wires, copper and ACSR, changed out transformers, cutouts and arresters, as a third class lineman with a Class A electrical utility, worked in supply and the meter department repairing meters. I've read meters, been a local manager in a town for Lone Star Gas Company. I've been a buyer, then Purchasing Agent with Gifford Hill & Company whose properties and business endeavors stretched from coast to coast. I was in the Irrigation Division but bought for whatever plant was in my jurisdiction which stretched roughly from Wichita Falls to the Valley and all points west in Texas, North to the Dakotas to the West Coast., basically, America's bread basket. I've been office manager, personal manager, and plant manager of a manufacturing enterprise. Most everywhere I worked had a dress code. It might be unofficial but you violated the code at your own peril. A dress code is the way a company wants its employees to present themselves to the public at large. Self employed folks also observed a dress code in the way they wanted their customers and potential customers to view them. It usually followed good taste in their rheum of influence. I worked the last years of my work-life as a sales representative and sales manager. All my savvy came from experience, not education but both work. I was master of nothing but jack of many trades.

We have of late casualed down, especially in the South and Midwest. Is it a good thing? You be the judge. Whatever did I know? I was just an employee now an old dog who hunts no more. Cheers boys and girls. Great conversations.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Yvonne Smith and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I have....but have no problems with anyone wearing one.:)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Kalvin Mitnic

Registered

I did when I was about 14-15, then they were easy.:p

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Kalvin Mitnic

Registered

Once at a posh restaurant in the Bahamas called Sun and...we were served by an elegantly attired waiter :rolleyes: who was barefoot on the sand floor. He wore a tie BTW. We had crab and butter -butter-butter. I needn't wear a tie.

Once in Toronto ( that's in Canada ) a Prime Rib place named Honest Ed's, required jacket and tie or you were turned away. They had a 'loaner' tie but not a jacket.
    In Tobego once a nice place (where as I recall Chas. and Diana Honeymooned) served ussens in beach clothes.

Just name dropping here ;)

Ina I. Wonder and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

People wear a lot of things that don't have a utilitarian purpose, I think. A tie might come in handy if you ever had the urge to strangle someone, perhaps. Other than that, they don't serve much of a purpose. I don't wear one much anymore, since I no longer even attend a church where a tie is expected.

I have worn ties often. While competing with a dozen other ambulance companies, every little bit helped, and having my employees show up while meeting with town councilmen in a uniform that included a tie may have scored a point, when compared with others who showed up in tee shirts. Of course, if anyone were inclined to wear a tie while on duty, I'd recommend a clip-on to avoid being the one strangled.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  9. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I always thought a tie set off my hubsand's gorgeous hazel blue/green eyes. That made their expensive cost worth every penny. :rolleyes:

Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

That is so true, and a pop of colour works wonders to liven an outfit
    Amazing the difference a colour of shirt makes too - some are definite no nos

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

One of my favorites!

Gary Ridenour likes this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Um I can do without the tie on a man. Especially bow ties. I think a person can dress nice without feeling so confined. Personally I rarley wear long seleves, hate ruffles....ok in a nut shell...nice jeans athletic shoes ...clean ones ..and a nice blouse or tee shirt...I am good to go!
    Few years back dressed up went to a graduation. Oh my so many looked like they just got out of bed. So no dressy dressy stuff for me :D

Sheldon Scott and Ina I. Wonder like this.