The Value Of Fasting

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Ken Anderson, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I found something even better. It is a sesame cookie. The recipe is in Joy of Cooking. But I changed wheat flour to half almond flour and half coconut flour and the sugar I used was erythritol.(amazon or Walmart) These little cookies are so rich, I nibble on them and one is more than enough! Yummy.

Joy Martin likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We have never done any purposeful "fasting" unless for a medical procedure, but we have been eating one meal a day for over 30 years. This just kind of evolved because neither of us likes breakfast, so we eat a single meal around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. We have a dessert with coffee around 8 p.m. or some other snack while watching TV at night.

I don't follow fads; usually a person can find "facts" or data to promote their side (pro or con) to anything. Personally I don't believe that fasting has any benefit whatsoever, but if people choose to fast then no biggie to me.

3. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm constantly hungry.
    I fast between meals.
    My meals are 2 hours apart. :)

4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

One meal a day? That's a typo, right? I eat three average sized meals a day and couldn't survive on one. Your "one" must be quite large.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Nope; just a normal meal. I have never been a 3 meals a day person. That's not to say we don't have a piece of fruit or some kind of snack if we get hungry, and once in a blue moon we'll have breakfast.

Yvonne Smith and Ed Wilson like this.
  6. Mary Stetler

Registered

If you don't eat a lot of refined carbs or sugar your body gets used to it. I never liked breakfast.
    Although coffee is another matter.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just watched this really interesting short video that talks about the benefits for your body and brain when you are fasting, even when it is just a short fast, like overnight, although the benefits increase with a longer fast.
    It also explains how having a couple spoonfuls of ACV (in water) while fasting can increase the overall benefits.

8. Mary Stetler

Registered

Lots of docs are now recommending it. And lots of people fight it. The trick is to get off all sugar and simple carbs to cut out cravings first.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hmmmm. Apparently I'm doomed. This just in, from the Random Health Studies That May or May Not be Accurate Department...

Intermittent fasting flagged as serious health risk https://www.yahoo.com/news/were-surprised-intermittent-fasting-flagged-234613115.html

From USA Today--"Intermittent fasting, a trendy method for weight-loss and targeting inflammation, has been flagged as a serious health risk, the American Heart Association announced Monday.

Results of a study presented at the association's conference in Chicago this week revealed that adults following an eight-hour time-restricted eating schedule have a 91% higher chance of death by cardiovascular disease than those eating within the usual timeframe of 12-16 hours per day.

Details of the findings, published by the American Heart Association, include the following:

• People with a pattern of eating less than eight hours per day had a 91% higher risk of death by cardiovascular disease.
    • Increased risk of cardiovascular death was also seen in people living with heart disease or cancer.
    • Eating between eight and 10 hours per day was associated with a 66% higher risk of death from heart disease or stroke for those with existing cardiovascular diseases.
    • Intermittent fasting did not decrease the overall risk of death from any cause.
    • For those living with cancer, an eating duration of 16 hours per day or more lowered the risk of cancer mortality.

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

"There is research showing that intermittent fasting could improve "cardiometabolic health measures such as blood pressure, blood glucose and cholesterol levels," according to the American Heart Association.

The most critical piece to this discovery, though, is the increased risk for those already living with heart conditions or cancer."

The data seems to be inconclusive. Who knows what to believe anymore? They change it all the time. I think the best advice is to eat as healthy as you can and don't worry overmuch about what the experts say. And don't forget the chocolate. :)

11. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I ::ahem:: try not to get my health advice from sites like Yahoo.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Actually, that article was from USA Today and posted by Yahoo, but probably equally suspect. :D

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Agree. I eat when I'm hungry. Guess I just like living on the edge. :D

Don Alaska and Tony Nathanson like this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Registered

• Intermittent fasting did not decrease the overall risk of death from any cause.
    • Hate to tell ya, you are going to die whether you fast or not.
    I was into intermittent fasting most of my life. Short of drinking coffee in the morning I was not inclined to eat breakfast. I am not hungry in the morning. I must have been a trend setter.
    I DO, however believe in low carb/sugar eating.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Same here. We basically eat one meal a day and have been for decades... before it became "OMAD." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: We are trend-setters. :cool:

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.