They Don't Want To Accept It

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Diane Lane, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Good to see you @Bill Boggs. I admit I don't understand politics enough to judge or make these kind of decisions. I must rely on those that do. I do well to decided who I'm going to vote for the in the presidential elections.

I enjoy learning from those that do understand the processes, but I realize that I get confused regarding all the many factors that must be concidered to make a well informed choice for the many different offices that go along with a new presidency.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Trump has tweeted twice now that no one knows who is going to pick but him. Since Trump isn't talking to the media, they are watching the elevators at Trump Tower and trying to guess by the people they recognize who go in to see him. Then, when other people come in and no one has confirmed who is being picked for what, they try to make us believe that Trump is the one in disarray.

3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Most other elections the cabinet post were not released until med December so what is all this no sense. The media wants lots of time to discredit the picks.

4. Martin Alonzo

Registered

"Suck It Up, Buttercup" Bill To Punish Safespacers

5. Ken Anderson

6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I wouldn't doubt that Trump is inviting in people just to throw off the press.

I have to say, Trump was elected not just by those on the right, but also many moderates, as well as some on the left. Many people who supported Bernie Sanders refused to vote for Hillary, and pledged to support and vote for Trump. I watched as they supported him via tweets and retweets, and worked at getting him elected. I think the only way we're going to be able to take back our country is by working together. We may not agree on all of the issues, but we agree on enough to make a difference.

Martin Alonzo and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Ken Anderson

I don't think Trump considers himself to be conservative or liberal, on the right or on the left. He's more of a pragmatist than an ideologue. I expect that he will try to do the things that he has reason to believe will work. I'm sure he has a sense of what's right and what's wrong, but we may or may not agree with him. That will anger people from both sides, but it's probably what we need right now.

Diane Lane and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

He's just like me, neither conservative or liberal....it's what appealed to me about him and I ignored or didn't care about any of the negative press he got.

The sexist remarks bothered me the least...I've known so many decent men that have said worse.

I've probably gotten an unwanted kiss in my lifetime...didn't send me crying assault.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

That's borne out, I think, in some of the things that he has been criticized for. As a businessman, he made use of tax laws that he wouldn't have allowed had he been responsible for setting up the tax code. They tried to portray that as being contradictory but, as a businessman, he wasn't responsible for writing the tax laws so he used the laws that were in place to his advantage. They criticized him for buying Chinese steel for construction projects but again, he didn't set up the trade agreements -- he simply used them to his advantage, getting the best deal that he could. There's no contradiction there. I have heard people argue that if someone doesn't think Medicare was a good idea, then they shouldn't file for Medicare benefits. That doesn't make sense because, whether you think Medicare is a good idea or not, you've been paying into it, so it would be stupid not to avail yourself of the benefit.

10. Martin Alonzo

Registered

This just gave me a laugh

11. Ken Anderson

Here's an interesting evaluation of the Democrat response to its loss in the 2016 elections, with a comparison to the GOP's response to its loss in 2012. It is not a conservative piece, given that the author refers to Trump as a "wildly unpopular farce of a candidate." Nevertheless, it's an interesting read. Here area few excerpts.

Time for supper. I may add to this later. Oh, here's a link.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  12. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I addressed the topic of people relying on 'fake news' on Twitter by posting that if the mainstream media could be relied on for accurate reporting, there'd be no market for alternative sources.

13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

True that! :)

14. Martin Alonzo

Registered

That is why the alt media came into being because there is no check on the media for honesty.

Bay of Tonkin was the reason for the Vietnamese war which the news media was willing to believe the government without evidence so when the government lies they all believe it and do not check it out. The alternative media looks into these stories and you find the truth.

Gary Ridenour and Diane Lane like this.
  15. Ken Anderson