Things I Miss As A Octogenarian Senior

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I think Bobby makes his own spoon o'peanut butter. :D

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

True story and yes, sweet. We have a lot of octogenarians and up at the gym and sometimes they do reminisce a bit.

Note; my wife and I both cook and sometimes for each other but generally speaking, we each prepare what we want on an individual basis.
    Much of the time we both have totally different nutritional needs so it works better when we each prepare our own meals.

3. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Having degenerative rheumatoid arthritis and spinal stenosis, I am unable to walk long distances without severe pain due to muscle spasms. I also have neuropathy so I do miss walking all over the place and hiking. I love the outdoors and walked great distances every day so this frustrates me no end. I also miss playing golf and tennis and fencing.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I miss working full-time and still having the energy for a second job or a hobby. Now, if I have one task that I have do, that's it for the day, and that's assuming I actually get around to doing it at all. And I am more than a decade away from my 80s.

Holly Saunders and Lois Winters like this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I have that awful condition too, restricts me so much, I've been a home bird for so long now :rolleyes:
    Plenty of things I miss too

Lois Winters likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Used to walk every day, went fishing, camping, horseback riding, kayaking........ all of those fun outdoor sports that I miss doing. Most of the problem is my lack of agility and balance, but poor muscle tone also has a lot to do with it.

When my heart “crashed” and I went into a-fib and heart failure, I went from walking 3-5 miles every day, to not even being able to walk out to the mailbox, and I huffed and puffed just walking from room to room in the house.
    Because we had no health insurance for me, I had to go untreated until I reached 65 and could get Medicare/Medicaid and then it was still a while before they actually did the heart procedure that helped my heart.
    By then, I had over 10 years of muscle deterioration , and I am still working on regaining that back as much as I can.

We have Silver Sneakers and I swim just about every day, and that has helped me tremendously. I have also learned to pace back and forth through the house, since going out for a long walk is not safe for me any more.
    My Apple Watch prompts me each hour to stand up and move around, and I have added onto that by walking for about 5+ minutes each hour, as much as possible.
    We also got a treadmill from Amazon, so I alternate the treadmill with pacing, because the treadmill still wears me out faster because of the incline. Between the two of these, I can walk from 2-3 miles a day, doing it in small increments.
    I miss going out for long walks, and all of the other outdoor activities that I so much enjoy, but at least, I am doing as much as I can to retain my health and activity level for as long as possible.

I also have arthritis and degenerative disk disease, but I have found that staying away from eating inflammatory foods helps my pain level a bunch with these issues.
    Here is what my Apple Health app tracks and shows me each day about my activity, and you can see that I managed to do quite a bit of pacing back and forth through the house.
    8812BF7D-9C56-4448-885B-7CF0698B7238.jpeg

Holly Saunders and Lois Winters like this.
  7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I miss golf as well and have on going dreams about courses I have played.

Lois Winters likes this.
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I miss not being able to drive safely and go anytime and anywhere I want. I rarely drive and only in times of very low traffic. I keep my car so when others drive me it is no expense to them. I walk anywhere I can. Losing the freedom to take a trip by myself across the country is what I miss the most.

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

My goodness, you have definitely come a long way, Yvonne. Keep up the good work.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I can fully understand your frustrations Lois . I've just started to be limited a little , and I'm one of the youngest on here at only in my early 60's... but already being pulled up by certain medical conditions that are preventing me doing everything I always have been used to doing, and that in itself is hugely frustrating, so to be totally unable to do everything outdoors that I love would be really heartbreaking for me so I can imagine your frustrations and deep sense of loss .
    The old adage about mind willing and body week has never come to mean more to me than it does now...

Lois Winters and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

why do you feel you can't drive safely any more faye? :(

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

My husband doesn't know how to cook either, and has no interest in learning, so it would worry me how he's manage if I wasn't here...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

"
    Glaucoma no side vision and my neck doesn't turn far, partially deaf, motion illusions "Mal de Debarquement" feeling of moving when not, etc. Possibility of barometric and elevation changes opening fistula causing vertigo.

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

oooh Crap!!! :(

Faye Fox likes this.