Thinking Things Would Slow Down, After Retirement

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Jake Smith, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I started sanding my truck today, and got about 3/4 of it sanded; when the air compressor decided to just stop running. :rolleyes: Now I will have to find out why, so I can get the thing primed for painting. Always something to do or something breaks. :(

Mary Stetler and Nancy Hart like this.
  2. Jake Smith

Registered

Instead of working on my 25-year-old compressor, figured just get this, already plenty here to do.

[​IMG]

$169.99
    List $184.00

• PRESSURE: 150 Max PSI to ensure adequate cut-inch pressure for a variety of applications
    • QUICK RECOVERY TIME: 2.6 SCFM at 90 PSI allows for quick compressor recovery time

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

4. Jake Smith

Registered

? :confused:

I Don't see a post, Mary.

5. Jake Smith

Registered

Leo.

DSCN1800 (3).JPG

Yesterday at 3 am I kept hearing him bark and Marie had bathed Foxy so she let her sleep inside the house that nite. So I was half awake listening to him raising cane until 4 am. I got up grabbed a flashlight went to him and could see all 8 chickens squawking and one was trapped between the netting and inside fence. So I went in to find a big raccoon inside. I shone the the light in his eyes and he finally found his way back out of the pen. Leo was bouncing off the outside pen trying to get him.

I have it so dogs can go all the way around the outside of the chicken pen but can close them out too. I fixed where coon had gotten in, and opened the gate so Leo and Foxy could go all around the pen the next two nights, and no raccoon so far for two nights and days. :)

6. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I said, you deserved a new compressor.:)
    My computer has had a lot of glitches.

7. Jake Smith

Registered

Thanks, Mary, I was wondering about that. May have to get you a new one. :)

Mary Stetler likes this.
  8. Jake Smith

Registered

Old Molly the alarm clock dog. Woke me at 4 am this morning. :rolleyes:

Now she's sleeping. :confused:

IMG_20230305_155144.jpg

The main reason I'm so patient with her is that right before her sister Becky passed at 13 years old. Marie told me I needed to check her stomach because she wasn't acting right like something was bothering her. So when I went to look at her stomach; she bit my right hand for the first time. Made me mad, and without realizing the pain she was in, I whacked her with the broom.:(

She forgave me and less than a week later she passed. She was such a lovable dog and we had them since they were born. When I would hold her she would just melt into you and her hair felt like our hair. So now after regretting that so much; I'm overly patient with Molly at 18 years old.

1496761456413.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  9. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'd work quite a lot from an early age doing deliveries for mother who was doing Avon in those early years. In my teens, I was into a lot of sports with my father, fishing and clearing pests off of farmland where my Archery skills developed.

Once he passed away, I got into more sports to get away from the doom and gloom at home. Swimming every summers day, cycling and roller skating. Then I got into Arts and Crafts. The last club I'd joined before work happened was figure skating.

During my working years, I was into several sidelines regarding better work practices and safety. I began to fervently read books and going to the cinema. Things at home, weren't improving.

Throughout these years before my wedding, a lot of house-moves occurred. So, there were loads of packing and unpacking, rearranging rooms, changing furniture, painting... It was go, go, go...

I managed to slow down out of sheer force of health problems brought on by two quickly successive pregnancies. As the medical requirements of working part-time was refused (which I could have contested but I just didn't have the strength) and I decided to take early retirement, kind of... As it was the only way to leave Civil Service back then.

I'd planned to work again, once I was given a clean bill of health and/or munchkins would be in school. Neither happened and I already had a full day's work every day with housework, bill paying, budget making, teaching munchkins at home (that was very enjoyable) and more.

I was a one woman show... LOL! A full-time home engineer. When I slowed down a bit, suffering from insomnia, I began my venture into creative writing and writing many stories until I wrote my first novel series.

Finally, going forward, after years of trouble and strife, things slowed down once more. Then our son died suddenly and I was broken down for the next five years. Things were looking up and we were looking forward for quieter days and travelling in our retirement.

However, when husband died suddenly in early 2022, I got back full force into my home engineer mode. Daughter and I completed the last to-do list that we'd planned with husband in January 2022. It was a huge one indeed!

We took 12 full months to accomplish all on it. Only two planned remaining. One the bathroom and two, outside fences and trims. So, it's now quiet, finally, recovering and healing from the losses. There's still returning to my writings as I've a trilogy begun but not completed and my ready-to-launch 4 novel series but not ready to tackle that yet, as the marketing is exhausting.

Once things get better, I'm planning to travel with daughter on a few day trips. As I'm a widow now, I still have to run the household and keep on top of things. Which is at hand once more. Just looking for extra curricular activities outside the house.

So far, got an Arts and Crafts group to look forward to and Archery from next month. Keep busy is living... Hoping that makes sense!

10. Jake Smith

Registered

That makes sense to me, Caitlan, I am sorry for your loss of family members, it's extremely hard to deal with. Seems you're still as busy as you, were before retiring too, like I am, and most everyone finds out after retiring. I do think it keeps us going; and the best thing for longevity too.

Are you still living in Scotland?

11. Jake Smith

Registered

The truck's painted now, and I'm glad to have, one more task behind me. Looks great. :)

12. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

Aye, I am. No plans of leaving either. It's a slower pace here. Just how I like it.

13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Caitlin thanks for sharing with us and I am sorry for your tragic loss's. You sound like a strong woman, also your life had challenges which I think serves to make us stronger not sure about losing loved ones though.
    I too had a interesting life from childhood up till now. But sounds like you are also blessed with plenty of energy like I am.

Mary Stetler and Jake Smith like this.
  14. Jake Smith

Registered

Painted the letters on the truck today, it looks nice; the main reason I painted it was that it was rusting, because of the paint, being so thin. "Love my truck". :cool:

Mary Stetler likes this.
  15. Jake Smith

Registered

Marie double-dug a small area of the garden today; for potatoes, which I planted and covered. The sweet potato is beginning to sprout; so we will be planting them soon. :)

Beth Gallagher likes this.