Thinking Things Would Slow Down, After Retirement

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Jake Smith, Aug 22, 2022.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

In about a month or so; the grass will be kicking up again, so will have to be tending to that again. It's nice to have a break from it, during the cold months. The plants in the greenhouse are getting bigger but you have to stay on top of watering and caring for them; because they do dry out faster in there. I have to control the temperature by using the fan during the day and the heater at night. Open it up in the mornings and close in the evenings.

Hoping all of you are having a wonderful day.:)

2. Jake Smith

Registered

Well; another day is here and have to get busy, started at 5:30 am being woken by Molly; I am getting smarter though, by going to bed a little early, so I will manage to get some sleep. She is getting worse about falling and bumping into everything and never whines at all. :confused:

Just can't see myself putting her down, as long as she's eating and able to get around, fairly well. Maybe I'm wrong, not sure. When I think about that; I get sad, for her and think; no way. My brother Bobby was visiting with his wife, Sheryl, about three years ago when Molly was about 16 yo, and he told me you should put that dog down; you can see she's in pain. I told him, no way, she's not in pain. Three years later she's still here, just more clumsier than then. :(

Her in her younger days.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I got my walk in, then vacuumed and mopped the downstairs. Totally out of breath from pushing this janitors mop around and Jake wants to talk. o_O. I didn't have to say anything though, he realized it was not a good time for conversation. He has his work ahead of him, we can talk then all he wants to.:p

Jake Smith and Mary Stetler like this.
  4. Jake Smith

Registered

Another day; fixing to open the greenhouse up. Already fed dogs, and let chickens out to free range. Plants are getting bigger now. I have to get all the stuff out of the truck now that it's painted and wash it. Not slowing down a bit here. Always something else to do; but I'm grateful to still be able to do most of it. "I hope everyone has a wonderful day". :)

5. Jake Smith

Registered

Got everything out of the truck yesterday, and I am already done today feeding animals letting chickens out to free range, opened a greenhouse. Today I will wash the truck and van, and clean spark plugs, it was burning too rich, and tried to file the plugs, so I put a shut-off valve on it and cut the electric fuel pump down some; and I got a washer bottle, wipers, and squirter buttons to put on it. I find that if I plan out my day, it helps to motivate me, to get her done.

Have a nice day. :)

6. Jake Smith

Registered

I got it and the van washed, cleaned plugs, put new wipers on, and put the new wiper bottle on and buttons on the hood, for some reason when I squirt it the water only shoots to the bottom of the windshield. :confused: Will have to come back and adjust them later.

Plants are still growing and I got an early birthday gift from my granddaughter yesterday. :)

IMG_20240228_173528057_HDR.jpg

Also used for knees upside down.

IMG_20240228_173421500_HDR.jpg

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Jake Smith

Registered

Plants today.

IMG_20240229_093026032_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240229_093049682.jpg

IMG_20240229_093227514_HDR.jpg

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Sweet potato slips are coming up. Best time to plant them here is in spring, or when soil is 60-80 F.I also have to plant out all the sunflower transplants.
    After walk today if not raining I'll start digging the holes. Only logical place is over septic field.

Jake Smith likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Looks like everything in your greenhouse is coming up really well, Jake and Marie !

Jake Smith likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have to sink my tomato seedlings deeper but they can't go outside yet.

Jake Smith likes this.
  11. Jake Smith

Registered

Thanks, Yvonne, they are, just have to stay on top of the temperatures to not overheat or get too cold. And keep them watered for they will dry out faster in the greenhouse. Once they get planted outside, after April, it will be easier. :)

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Jake Smith

Registered

That's what I had to do about a week ago, and you're right; too early for outside, just yet, Mary. We always wait until after April, just in case.

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Jake Smith

Registered

Touching base here, about things not slowing, this well is gonna drive me nuts it seems. I had posted it on my filtration thread, but it fits here too. Always something breaking down, just when you think everything ok. Will have to get well people out here Monday to get it fixed, the rest of the way.

Marie is playing lots of music today, and Foxy barks at most of the songs she likes. Music can make you feel better when things are bothering you. Opened the greenhouse at 9:30 am, it's already 80 degrees in there. Fan on soon.:rolleyes:

Photo of the greenhouse a few years back before redoing it.

DSCN0832.JPG

I hope all of you are having a wonderful day. :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Jake Smith

Registered

Molly woke me at 3 am, now she's sleeping. :rolleyes:

Well's fixed with this one part.

[​IMG]

Nice having water again, and not having to pay a well people a bunch of money. Was only $38.00 and my labor. :)

15. Jake Smith

Registered

Decided it was time to put Molly in her old dog house and pen. Don't want to be cruel to her going on 18 yo, but being old she has got to where she wakes us at 1 am, 2 am, 3 am, 4 am, or no later than 5 am. Hardly able to get any sleep at all, once I wake it's really hard to go back to sleep.

The reason we had let her in the bathroom of the house is because she had had a stroke and Alice her partner had just passed so she was grieving and lonely. I thought her not eating for nine days she was going to die for sure. Figured to make her last days comfortable. Now it's been two years, since her stroke and she had, two more and still going, just slower. She has had me up so much more lately; I'm beginning to think she's gonna outlive me.:eek:

In the photo below you can see her old dog house has a window, with cedar shaving, and her bed, plus she has an electric heat pad too, which we will put in on cold nights.

IMG_20240305_094929336_HDR.jpg She was napping in this photo because she had barked all night trying to get me up. :rolleyes:

IMG_20240305_095100126.jpg

Leo and Foxy, have their pens and dog houses, with cedar shavings too.

IMG_20240305_095031460.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    Yvonne Smith likes this.