This Coronavirus Problem

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Thomas Stearn, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That's very possible, and not necessarily the whole Internet. Companies selling DSL services generally oversell, the assumption being that only a small percentage of their customers are going to be online at the same time. I don't see that now that we're on cable access but when we had DSL, the Internet would slow down for us on weekday evenings, when people were home. New DSL providers are often able to break into a market because they can offer faster Internet than those who were there before, but only because they haven't yet oversold their capabilities. Then, after you've had the new service for a year, you find it's as slow as the last one you had.

With so many people at home due to the coronavirus, online and streaming movies, and employees working from home, they are all on the Internet, even during the day, when Internet traffic had otherwise been less crowded.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, if the internet goes down, we'll all go crazy!!! I'm only partly joking about that.

Micki Pembroke and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I will go crazy no mistake. As sad as it sounds most of my life is spent on the net.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I see that they have amended the numbers for Maine and some other states. I was surprised when the earlier statistics showed three COVID-19 deaths in Maine because I hadn't heard of any, and felt sure that I would have heard of it, as our local radio stations are just as obsessed with COVID-19 as the rest of the media is. As I suggested in my earlier post, I think the recovered statistics are deceptive because I doubt that most people will bother reporting that they have recovered. Then again, the confirmed statistics include only those who have been tested and most people haven't, since it's mostly those who are symptomatic or who are known to have been in contact with someone who is confirmed who are being tested. New York is heavy because they are testing a larger percentage of their population.

On the local Maine map, all of the cases of COVID-19 so far are in southern Maine, so far at least.

covid-19.png

Bobby Cole and Micki Pembroke like this.
  5. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for the stats, good to follow.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Our iPhones Emergency Alert System (EAS) went off twice yesterday evening indicating the Governor of Colorado had issued a "Stay At Home" Order for the State. Then, at 7AM, just as we were leaving to go to local grocery store, the EAS went off again with the same message concerning the "Stay At Home" Order. Guess the Governor wants to make sure everyone in Colorado knows about his Order.

However, it is really sort of funny/odd the number of places that remain open with a "Stay At Home" Order going on. Not a lot of traffic as usual, but more than we thought there would be. Quite a number of Seniors in the grocery store we went to, but out of 2% milk, so had to go to a different store. There was pieces of blue tape on the floor at each register, 6 feet apart, indicating "distancing".

Trump wants to send folks, in certain areas, back to work on Easter, whereas the Director of Infectious Diseases states that date has to be flexible. "The virus tells us when, not us", he says. The Stimulus Package passed the Senate last night, but has to go thru the House now. So, the House Reps have to return from their homes. Nancy Pelosi states that The House will immediately pass it and President Trump will immediately sign it into law.

President Trump and the Vice President, along with some other legislatures won't get any money. A couple filing as a couple, no children, whose income last year was under $120k, will get $2,400. That's what wife and I will get, or should I say, "hope to get".

7. Craig Wilson

Registered

How does the COVID-19 virus compare with the 2009/10 Swine Flu which killed between 151k and 575k people and infected 1.4 billion world wide.

The symptoms of the swine flu were similar to those caused by other flu viruses, primarily: fever, cough, headache, body aches, sore throat, chills, fatigue and runny nose. Those symptoms showed up between one and four days after contracting the virus. COVID-19 have similar but milder symptoms, or they may not experience symptoms at all according to the Centers for Disease Protection and Control. The virus appears to have an incubation period of between four and 14 days, which means an individual could be carrying (and spreading) the virus for up to two weeks before experiencing any illness. This makes COVID_19 more serious than the Swine Flue.

So far, COVID-19 is most deadly for people over 60 who have underlying health conditions whereas Swine Flu infected mostly the under 60s.. with the largest proportion between child age and middle age. Also most infections were in Asia unlike in almost all continents with COVID-19.

The Swine Flu was also less contagious than Covid -19.. From Swine Flu 1.46 people were able to catch the virus from a single infected person while with Covid-19 the estimation is between 2-2.5 from a single infected person.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

An interesting post from Twitter.
    I did not watch this actual briefing, but this is a huge amount of difference in the amount of people who have the virus.

D8EAA797-67E3-4FB3-ACF3-9554557CEF17.jpeg

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Another interesting development, which is one that I have been hearing about in the facebook groups, is that the virus was actually already here early in January (maybe even before that), and when people got sick, no one knew what they had, because there was no knowledge of covid-19 at that time, and no test for it.
    People on facebook have been reporting that they had those symptoms, in late December to early January, but they were over it before the nes came out about the covid-19 strain.

Now, the news is reporting that this is apparently what did happen.this is from MSN news, and was in our local online newspaper.

E1312336-E512-4B5F-8BAC-6A3ADD2AC94A.jpeg

10. Gwendolyn LaPierre

Gwendolyn LaPierre Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Rumors are flying everywhere. I'm 73y/o but I don't suppose I'm any more likely to catch this virus than the flu that comes around every year. Every year, I know a lot of people who come down with the flu but I don't know anyone who has this virus. I usually stay home most of the time during flu season and am careful about washing my hands after coming into contact with people. I am growing sick and tired of hearing nothing but this virus. Even shows that I usually watch are all about the virus now. The news talks about nothing else. And why do I have to hear this New York governor or mayor, or whatever he is all the time? I don't live anywhere near New York and he bores me to no end. He goes on and on and on.

11. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Nancy Hart likes this.
  12. Craig Wilson

Registered

@Gwendolyn LaPierre. and @Thomas Stearn. Difference between this Covid -19 and the flu is there is a cure for the flu. I have a free flu shot every year. I can not have same for this coronavirus.

13. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

The flu shot is hit and miss, as you know. No protection against the swine flu which I had.

14. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Must, I repeat myself continuously? The vaccine is by no means a cure for anything. It is merely a preventative measure. Enormous difference between the two.

Micki Pembroke and Thomas Stearn like this.
  15. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

Got some medication refills yesterday, until further notice, only allowed to have 30 day supply.