This Coronavirus Problem

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Thomas Stearn, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I feel safer having the annual flu vaccine than not.
    The flu vaccine stimulates your body's immune system to make antibodies to attack the flu virus.
    I feel bloody scared not having any vaccine against this coronavirus.

Lois Winters likes this.
  2. Craig Wilson

Registered

Did America take her eye off the ball by delaying testing for COVID-19 and is now paying the price. The White House Coronavirus Task Force was set up to tackle the ever threatening coronavirus sweeping China and some European countries between January and March but had yet to get a firm foot hold in the Land of the Free. This is when large-scale testing of Americans was needed but did not happen — because of technical flaws, regulatory hurdles, business-as-usual bureaucracies and lack of leadership at multiple levels, according to interviews with more than 50 current and former public health officials, administration officials, senior scientists and company executives.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What news source is this from , @Craig Swanson ?

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Question: Are you now, or will you be, buying/wearing a virus protection mask? When we go to our local grocery store, during their Seniors Hours time (7AM to 9AM) we only see a few people wearing one. The people who are wearing them are Seniors.

Also, if you are living with someone (husband/wife/whomever), are you cleaning surfaces at home, like your cell phone, tv remote, etc.. We are doing this every-other day. I wear a thin clear plastic glove and use a Clorox Disinfecting Wipe. After I'm done, I throw the wipe in the trash and wash the outside of the glove (on my hand) with liquid dish soap.

Thoughts?

5. Craig Wilson

Registered

[​IMG] May well be more Fake News. Yet again it may be true. There has been a sudden and alarming spike of Covid-19 cases in your country over the past few weeks. Similar in intensity to firstly Italy and then Spain which it is said were slow in tackling the coronavirus. Having said that, deaths are far lower in America by percentage than those two.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  6. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

You mention America as the Land of the Free in your comment, Craig and this speaks to the answer to your question. Would not have mattered one whit it the tests were set up or not. One must convince us there is a real threat out there. We've been subjected to so many conspiracies, we are naturally a tad skeptical and yes, rather cynical. So, there are still some who refuse to be tested. And here we are. Now we have to still deal with it either way.

7. Craig Wilson

Registered

Wife and I have not been able to buy one in Sydney but we are self isolating so dont really need it. A family member is one of the very few with a retail job in Sydney yet she has not been offered a mask by her employer.

Actually the experts are saying that wearing a mask against the coronavirus is pointless.
    Not only will it not protect you from the virus, but it may also actually increase your risk of developing it, because there will be a shortage of masks for the people who need them the most.

In the US, the country’s Surgeon General, Dr Jerome Adams, took to Twitter to urge people to stop wearing face masks.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Thank you for that information. when quoting from a news source, it is always good to link to the source, so people can read the article for themselves if they want to do that.
    The NYT is definitely one of the most liberal sources out there, and one of the last things that they suggested (which I quoted on one of the threads), is that Christians are to blame for the corona virus.
    No matter that it might have been deliberately used as a bio-weapon, or came here accidentally; since the religious people were Trump supporters and helped to elect him, it is now all our fault that we have this virus and that people are dying from it.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

In January, we had no cases in the US and the World Health Organization was still saying that there was no evidence that it was transmitted human-to-human, so that was a bit early to expect the US to be working on a vaccine, I think. Now, had China told what they knew earlier, that might have made a difference but everyone wants to blame Trump, while giving China a pass.

10. Craig Wilson

Registered

I have not given China a pass.

Australia had its 14th Covid-19 death overnite. A 92 year old Sydney female nursing home resident. Of the 14 deaths 8 have been in my home town of Sydney. My state now has 1817 confirmed cases of the 3,500 nation-wide tally with almost 86k people tested. Some 1200 of those cases are were contracted from overseas travelers wile an additional 300-odd are associated with a returned Aussie traveler. It is the remaining cases that is worrying our health officials as the source of infection for around 170 persons is unknown. Our Premier is now contemplating a complete state lock down to determine the cause of these unknown cases.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Are reading what the CDC states about them, we have decided not to buy any. We will continue to do the "get in, get out" of local grocery store, wash our hands frequently at home and clean every-other day with the Clorox Wipes. Plus, just plain staying at home a whole lot.

12. Craig Wilson

Registered

Here is some savvy thinking from a Sydney hotel owner.
    Faced with shutting down his chain of drinking holes under Australia’s strict coronavirus measures, publican Marty Short came up with a brain wave to revamp his business. He converted some of the pubs his family owns into convenience stores. “We got the shocking news on Sunday that we could no longer sell alcohol over the counter."so we started thinking.“To justify us existing, we thought, ‘well what would our communities most need from us if they got stuck. Food and convenience items".
    [​IMG]

Lois Winters likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

What good are constitutional rights if they can be violated when Americans get sick? -- Washington Times

14. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Still there are NO cases up here in Massey and surrounding area....

15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

We need Russell Honoré to take charge and use some common sense to get control of this mess and coordinate equipment distribution. Telling the governors that they are on their own is ridiculous.

And the plan that different counties can have different rules is just plain stupid. I suspect that plan will quietly disappear come Monday, just like many of the other "plans."