This Coronavirus Problem

Discussion in 'Viruses' started by Thomas Stearn, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

It is sad when you have a disease and they make it politico some of the members of government telling people to go celebrate in China town when the virus first came. The mayors/governors New York ordered nursing homes to accept COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals. Nursing homes are the most vulnerable people.

www.nbcnews.com › news › us-news › coronavirus-spr...

2. Charlene Marolf

Charlene Marolf Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

What a sweet baby

3. Martin Alonzo

Registered

What you say on TV and what you know is true.
    From Dr Fauci own web site
    Breakthrough: Chloroquine phosphate has shown apparent efficacy in treatment of COVID-19 associated pneumonia in clinical studies.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32074550

4. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Lies and reality

5. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

The US is under 1000 deaths today. The UK, Sweden, Mexico and Russia continue to be of major concern while the big mover is Brazil. Their recalcitrant president is copping plenty of flack while his subjects fall over like flies. I predicted this in Brazil weeks ago as they have favelas.. massive slums/shanty towns in all major cities that house their poorest citizens. In a census taken a decade ago 11.25 million Brazilians, roughly the population of Portugal, live in these favelas.. No doubt this has climbed by several million persons since then. Imagine if a Covid 19 hotspot eventuated among one of these favelas.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Beth, nice seeing you back. :) The night owl flies again.
    You mean corona-wise? Not too bad by comparison. Death toll lower so far. Severe economic crisis predicted. The economy is picking up again after the restrictions have been lifted to some extent. We've never had a total lockdown like in Italy, France, or Spain. Schools and daycares have not completely opened again. So parents are suffering because kids are at home the whole day and one parent has to do the home schooling. Resistance against the remaining measures (e.g. closed borders) is growing but it's still a minority.
    The number of people contracting the virus has declined, currently like 800 a day. We shall see what effect the lift of restrictions will have in the medium term and in the long run. A major second wave is very likely sooner (in early summer) or later (in fall, winter). Long-distance journeys won't be possible this year but some travelling within Europe will.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you kindly. I'm afraid I'm even more of a night owl since the pandemic; not sure if it's boredom or anxiety. I drift around the house like a ghost in the wee hours.

Sounds like most of the world is handling the situation the same...with caution. I never thought I'd see something like this in my lifetime. I'm glad you have been relatively unscathed.

Thomas Stearn and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Trump admits he is using HCQ in a meeting at the white house.

10. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have to admit this is news to me. An Australian company, CSL, produced the first Swine Flu vaccine a decade ago.. Not unusual as the Swine Flu which killed more Australians than Covid-19 was given little publicity in my country.

By the end of 2009, 37,000 Australians were diagnosed with swine flu and 190 people died.That is three times the cases and almost 100 less deaths than the Covid rate. Yet Australia came out of the swine flu pandemic relatively unscathed because of CSL's swift response.

These days CSL is mostly focused on influenza research (it manufactures the annual flu vaccine), and tho it is not actively involved in the search for a coronavirus vaccine, it does support the efforts of others. Like currently carrying out "capability mapping" for an Australian - produced vaccine with the local research giant CSIRO, the University of Queensland plus the local arm of American company Johnson & Johnson.
    [​IMG]
    CSL scientists working on a Swine Flu vaccine in 2009.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

With a bit of sarcasm I do have to write that we have some more Science coming our way via the good mayor of LA.
    Yes, it would seem that Mayor Garcetti has gone the full length and breadth to discover what is good and bad for his constituents with his newest well researched beach going mandates.

It seems that wet sand and dry sand are more different than just the content of salt water because according to the power hungry mayor, it is okay to exercise on the wet sand, but to sunbathe and walk around on the dry sand is hazardous to one’s health. Yes, sunbathers are forbidden on the plush dry parts of the beaches but one can jump and run all they want on the wet part of the beach.

Perhaps his mandate is there to prevent overcrowding on the beach or perhaps his statements were made to confuse the public into not going at all but either way, with his mayoral gavel undoubtedly in hand, Garcetti knows best.

One or more of his flock has been noted as saying: “Garcetti can pound sand.“

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  12. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Being alone on the dry sand beach is bad, arrest them or send them to Walmart.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It was just on the radio that Cuomo has forbidden people to go to the beach under penalty of well....he said the police would be patrolling so I guess they will be arrest baiting.
    By “baiting” I mean that there is no law that says that folks cannot go to a publicly owned beach so in order to arrest someone the police will have to coerce people into doing something else wrong that they can be arrested or ticketed for.
    Of course, that’s my take on things but just because it’s my speculation doesn’t make it so.

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  14. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Garcetti has been breathing smog filled air all his life, so don't expect much in the way of sense from him.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Comments from the UK
    Katie Hopkins : NHS Sending Sick People To Nursing Homes