Tidbits Of Information

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Steve North, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Stinkers.

2. Jan Ahlmann

Jan Ahlmann Well-Known Member
    Registered

Dogs understanding words — My old lady is losing her hearing. I’m glad I incorporated hand signals along with words to teach her simple commands when she was young. Of course, some of the time, she uses selective hearing.

3. Andrea Lindsey

Andrea Lindsey Well-Known Member
    Registered

My old dachshund has lost most of her sight as well as some hearing, but she's a hound so she still has her nose to steer her around.
    Because I talk to her all day, she has a pretty big vocabulary, but she never could understand the word "quiet," in fact I think she believes it means, "Keep barking! Louder, louder!"

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

While we are on the “tidbit” topic of dogs; I read many years ago, a book that suggests that at least some animals that we are bonded with can “see” what we are thinking when we talk with them.
    Experiments and observation does seem to at least somewhat confirm this possibility; so I try to visualize when i am talking with a dog or horse, and I do think that it helps.
    I had a Tennessee Walker that I could ride in the woods and when we came to a fork in the trail, I would look (moving nothing except my eyes) at the trail I wanted to go down, and most of the time my horse chose the right trail without me giving her any signal.

I also believe that dogs can have a large vocabulary, and understand what we are saying. (The word “bath” is definitely one of those words !).
    When we first got Poodle, he had no idea that dogs even had names and didn’t listen to anything that either Bobby or I said. Now, he listens to ALL of our conversations and when Bobby says something to me, then Poodle turns his head and looks at me to see what i am going to say back to Bobby; so he is definitely following along with the conversation.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I know my little Harry could understand a lot of words. We had to spell stuff like "bath" or "treat" around him. Also, his code word for potty was "hurry up;" I'd open the back door to let him out and tell him to hurry up! So I had to be careful not so casually tell anyone to hurry up if Harry was around. :D

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

All dogs are born understanding what "squirrel" means.

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

or politicians.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My dog understands, "Go out". When I ask her if she wants to go out, she goes to the door. She understands "Play." When I ask her if she wants to play, she goes to her toy box. She understands, "That's all." When I give her a treat and she asks for more, I tell her that's all and she goes away.

I don't know what else she understands but I sure am glad she can't talk. ;):)

9. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Well our puppy is now 7 months old and is understanding some words including the famous word "no" but he doesn't obey it.. Go potty. sit, toys, and several other words are obeyed..
    We have an appointment at the end of February to have him neutered when he will be 9 months old.. Hopefully he will calm down somewhat as he is extremely active now.. He is still biting and mouthing with his teeth.. He jumps on not only us but anyone that comes to the house..Other than that, he is very affectionate..

He is a .... Cavapoo .... Father was a Poodle weighing 12 pounds and the mother was a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel weighing 10 pounds... I met both of his parents... Mother was very calm and the father very active..
    That's where he gets his energy from,.................... his father the Poodle.........

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Funny. I don't recall any small dog that I've encountered not to be overly active. They be bouncing around, running in circles, playing peek a boo alone until you wonder where they are. :D

Mary Stetler likes this.
  11. Andrea Lindsey

Andrea Lindsey Well-Known Member
    Registered

It's all that coffee, Von.
    [​IMG]

12. Steve North

Registered

Previously, we had a Pomeranian that was a perfect dog, but she died in March after we had her for over 12 years.. You cannot compare a dog to another as every breed has their own way of life...
    According to the book we have about dogs, (Dogs for Dummies), they say that mixed breeds are more likely to be hyper active than single breeds.. Who really knows as it depends what you do with the dog as far as training goes.. Meanwhile, we have a pet that we love and in return it loves us back.......... with plenty of activity of course....
    We wouldn't sell him for a million dollars,.... but,.... we wouldn't want another one for 2 cents...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2023
  13. Steve North

Registered

Cute Andrea....!!!!

14. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Giraffe's have the highest normal blood pressure of any living thing - 280/180. It has to be high for blood to get several feet up to the brain.
    They also have very heavy-duty arteries to prevent ruptures.
    Opossums have the lowest body temperature of any mammal & are immune to Rabies and snake venom.

Andrea Lindsey and Mary Stetler like this.
  15. Steve North

Registered

Gee, I wonder what the blood pressure of a mosquito is ??????
    Surely the don't have a long neck...

Mary Stetler likes this.