Tidbits Of Information

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Steve North, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I went to a chiropractor last week, and he told me Medicare forbids DCs from treating any acute injuries in Medicare-eligible patients, even if they are not billed. You don't even have to have Medicare for this to apply, just be eligible. This sounds crazy and I have never heard such a thing. Anybody else ever heard this? Supposedly they can only treat chronic conditions, not injuries.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

How can a .gov insurance agency forbid such a consensual transaction? All they can do is decline to pay a bill. They are not a regulator. I am in their market demographics, but they do not dictate the care I may seek.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yeah, I don't know if it is true and I don't know how they would know if they are not billed, especially since Chiropractic isn't generally added to medical records that the government has access to.

4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Chiropractors had to sue to get medicare payments but the rules are weird. I went to mine without insurance for a long time. I have gotten mri's without insurance because I wanted them and not doctor's recommendations. (we have a private company that gives them without insurance a few miles away)
    Could it be that the powers that be feel the DC's might cause more injury through manipulation that insurance would then have to cover?

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

The AMA likely has their greedy mitts in the middle.

I've seen a chiropractor, and it helped (unless is was just the exercises I did using his place as a gym.) My work insurance paid for a number of DC appointments per year.

6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yes, perhaps, but why only Medicare patients or those eligible? You would think that it wouldn't be linked to potential payment. I myself was nearly killed by medical mishandling after an accident, and no chiropractors were involved.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

"In the 1830s, Presbyterian minister Sylvester Graham, a member of the temperance movement, became convinced that people's diets were making them lustful. Graham believed that anything that provided physical pleasure caused societal harm and defied God's wishes.

The minister recommended not sleeping in soft beds, taking warm baths, or basically doing anything that anyone enjoys. He was also militant about diet. Graham, one of the earliest proponents of vegetarianism in the United States, developed a religiously guided diet composed only of raw vegetables. To supplement his diet, he developed Graham crackers, intending to make them as bland as possible so as not to cause sexual excitement"

8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

And then he added a square of Hersheys chocolate and a marshmallow. The rest is history.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I forget which major cereal manufacturer (Kelloggs?) invented cereal in order to quell libidos.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered