Tis The Season

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Bill Boggs, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

And so I bought myself a christmas present, a smallish camera. What for you might asked or I might asked myself the same question. Why would anyone living in Oklahoma need a camera when there is absolutely nothing to take a picture of except babies and newly weds. And old men don't photograph babies and wedding. We do haved a railroad track running through town used by freight cars and Amtrak runs a couple of trains a day through here. But trains are not what they used to be, so you might say that leaves nothing. But hold on a minute or two.

I had an uncle I never met or never laid eyes on except in an old photograph who before I was came through Wichita Falls and spent the night with my mother and dad. They said they were not married but were going to get married as soon as they settled somewhere and found work. My uncle Tom and his girlfriend and I never knew her name said they were headed for California. That was in 1932.

Another year or so rolled around and I came along. Mother and dad were migrant works as were much of my family. They moved around where the work was much of it in agriculture, picking cotton, pulling bowles, and picking fruit down in the Texas valley. These were depression years and times were hard and many people made out the best they could.

While down around Corpus Christi mom and dad ran into to a couple who had beenout in California working who said they had met and worked with a couple named Boggs in California and they described this couple and they did fit the description of Dad's brother Tom and his lady. Flash forward to the mid 1980's my dad had passed on.My mother said she received a phone call one afternoon from a lady who identified herself as Tom's wife. The lady said she called to say that dad's brother Tom was buried um in a little town in Oklahoma if any of the family wanted to know. She told mother the town where Tom was buried and my mother told me.
    I have forgotten the name of the town but it was a name I was quite familiar with going up, names generally where some of my mother's folks lived.

I have thought it would be fun to visit some of these towns looking for uncle Tom's grave or at least find the cemetary where he was buried according to records and in the doing take pictures of some of the old cemeteries, some of the epitaphs on some of the graves. Some are quite interesting and thought provoking.
    Take day trips or stay the night whatever the trip called for.

So I bought myself a camera with that in the back of my mind. It may be I will never be able to do it. I wish I had thought of this when I first moved to this state, a few years ago, when I was more capable. Nevertheless if I ever get few spurts of new energy I may take on this project. If not perhaps I will find a use for my new camera. Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you all.

Uncle Tom's nephew.

2. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs, Was your uncle Tom 100 years old when he died?

Henry Thomas “Tom” Boggs
    Denton Cemetery, Marlow, Stephens County, Oklahoma

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  3. Bill Boggs

Registered

No, that is not he, but thank you for your thoughtful post.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs I'm really glad to hear you bought yourself a camera...and I really hope you get to take some of those trips and get those pictures you are hoping to take with it. :)

Bill Boggs likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Who is that in your avi picture Bill?

Bill Boggs likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Bill Boggs, my wife and I recently took a trip to Oklahoma in part to look up where she was born and the graves of her relatives. We found that the cemetaries in Oklahome (at least the part we were in) had all been inventoried and gridded, so it was easy to find the graves of the people we were looking for. I have never seen this in any other state, and I sent an email to the governor asking her to thank whoever was responsible for the project. There were also road signs along the highways marking the locations of the cemeteries.

7. Bill Boggs

Registered

That is my grandfather
    It is my grandfather, Holly, William Carrol Boggs, who was 80 yrs old when he died in 1939. I was six.

8. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks for your comment, Don, and for the information you provided.

9. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thank you, Babs.I hope so too.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Question, Bill...…..how will you process your photos?? I do all of my own processing, which means I put the photos from the camera media card onto the computer, do a little editing and then transfer to usb's.

Actually, I could find different things to take pics of in Oklahoma...…….stockyards, farms, ranches and other stuff. IOW, I spent some time in Oklahoma and have been to three major stockyards, including the biggest one in the United States that is next to a terrific steakhouse...…...Oklahoma City Stockyards. Lots of livestock goes thru there.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I see nothing odd about buying a camera. I much prefer a camera to the thing that goes by that name on my iPhone, and there are always things to take pictures of. I have passed through Oklahoma dozens of times, and don't recall it being particularly non-photogenic. but then, I don't recall much about it at all, so maybe that's the problem.

Bill Boggs and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Bill, have you used findagrave.com?

Bill Boggs likes this.
  13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I think we all do that. if not USB's then simply to the computer and belt & braces to External Hard drives .. however for those without Computers there's a myriad of ways now to have pictures developed aside from the usual photo print shop... even in the supermarket there's pay as you go machines where you can insert your SD card and have the photos printed out, or put onto a USB stick...

Don Alaska and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  14. Bill Boggs

Registered

I have not, Mary. Didn't know about it but I will now give it a try. Thanks for the info.

15. Bill Boggs

Registered

I guess I will do it about like you do it. Most often I just transfer them from my camera by cable to my photo album. Occasionally I will edit one but most often not. I try to do a good frame whn i take the picture. By the way I bought a Canon SX 530 HS canon. You seemed to like yours and I thought I'd give it a try. Thanks for the info you provided on your own camera. I suppose there is lot to photograph here in this state, this town. You just have to go and look for what makes a good photo.