Tony's Catch All Journal

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Tony Page, Dec 30, 2023.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

At least you and I have spouses (I was going to send one to @John Brunner but then decided against it;)).
    Hubby went to pick transparent apples which we have done every year to make apple sauce. He went by himself. He came home smelling like a goat and had 4 big boxes that he could not get in the house by himself. I helped but that was surprising. I just took one side at the doorway so he could get up the two steps into the house. He said he didn't pick the top of the tree because he was afraid he would fall overo_O He left the picker for my daughter in case she might want to try. I am kind of proud of him that he did this and was smart enough to stop. I am kind of proud of all of us old warriors still trying when we can.

2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

We have municipal water (town water), we only drink filtered water or bottled, ZERO filtered container holds about 1/2 gal, we use for coffee maker, we also have a filter in the fridge. I keep toying with getting a whole house filter once things settle down, but I'd want to find away to bypass the outdoor lines. I can't see watering the lawn with filtered water.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When I got my water softener put in, I demanded that the outside faucets be excluded and a direct untreated faucet be put into the kitchen. It was done with no issues.

Mary Stetler and Tony Page like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You'll want to get a water analysis so you know what to filter for. My whole house filters are particulate filters for the flecks of mica that I have, although if I don't change it often enough there is mud at the bottom of the canister on the first filter (10 micron.) The downstream filter is a charcoal sub-one micron filter that never has anything in it. I only installed 2 filters because I did the work myself.

The only thing in my well water that needs to be remediated is the mica and the hardness, and since I want to drink the water and I have kidney stones, I'm stuck with a salt-based softener that exchanges the hardness for salt. (Some softening technology leaves the minerals in the water but prevents them from harming the plumbing.) Some folks in this region have really high iron, and they, too, use salt softeners, but I think the amount of salt required to remediate iron makes the water close to undrinkable.

When I installed my softener, I discovered that each of the two outdoor faucets came off of the main line in 2 different places. It just happened to work out that one of them comes off of the part of the house where I installed the softener and the other one does not.

5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry it took so long to respond.
    I have a question I have no idea what transparent apples are?
    John doesn't need anyone he's got his owls how can he resist those big beautiful eyes.:D

6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I completely forgot to mention that while cleaning out the shed, there was a possum living in there. I wonder if they make good pets? My daughter took a photo of him or her.

upload_2024-7-26_21-32-0.png

7. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Good Idea to have the water tested to find out what contaminants you need to filter out. My confusion is whether a whole house or an under counter to just do sink water. Do you need to filter shower or bath water? Is there a contaminate harmful to the skin? When I'm ready to add filtered water I'll have to check this out.

reoa

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  8. John Brunner

I guess you need to start with knowing what (if anything) you're trying to get rid of. If there's undissolved sediment or hardness in the water, then you want to filter (and maybe soften) the whole house so that every faucet is protected from it. If you're only fixing the drinkability, then one at the kitchen sink should suffice.

Believe it or not, my groundwater has some amount of sodium in it, and then the softener adds to it. There are some folks with high levels of fluoride, too. Those of us with low fluoride levels are advised to augment it.

Tony Page and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Sounds like an RO system might be called for.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  10. John Brunner

I'm not sure folks use an RO system with a well, but I'm not expert on filtration systems. Doesn't RO waste 9 gallons of water for every 1 gallon it yields?

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  11. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not sure of the ratio between waste water and clean water for reverse Osmosis. system Here are some interesting facts. The Contaminants removed.
    • Lead, arsenic, and fluoride
    • Bacteria, viruses, and cysts
    • Pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides
    • Chlorine and chloramine
    • Microplastics, PFOA/PFOS, VOCs
    • Minerals
    • Sediment
    RO is also used to desalinate seawater. In Dubai, where fresh water is limited, large-scale reverse osmosis filters convert about 416 million gallons of seawater to fresh water every day. Dubai’s groundwater supplies only 0.5% of the city’s water – that means the other 99.5% has to come from reverse osmosis. In order to produce 416 million gallons of fresh water, the system has to pump about 2.8 billion gallons of water through it each day.

I wonder what they do with the wastewater pump it Back into the sea?

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

That's a 6:1 to 7:1 ratio of waste on that scale. For home systems, the data is all over the place: ("Reverse Osmosis systems can waste between 3 and 25 gallons of water per one gallon of purified water.")

Keep in mind that RO (or any system) only removes contaminants that are present in the first place.

Tony Page likes this.
  13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yeah, it does, but it gives you water with nothing in it. It would be for drinking water only and you could add minerals as you choose. to provide the necessary taste , etc.

John Brunner and Tony Page like this.
  14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yep, they pump it back into the sea but you are not putting anything into the sea that didn't come from there. I would think that for large-scale use, there would be better systems than RO. I was thinking more of @John Brunner's situation than yours @Tony Page but if you want really pure drinking water.... Where I worked we put city water through three filters before it go to the RO, but we needed absolutely pure water. Drinking water wouldn't have to be THAT clean:)

Tony Page likes this.
  15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

The tear down of my shed has begun they started around 8:30 is now 9:10.
    They are still working on the roof hopefully they'll be done by lunch.

upload_2024-7-27_9-15-18.png