Tony's Catch All Journal

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Tony Page, Dec 30, 2023.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

It is just a an old variety of apples. The earliest. They are a pale yellow green when ripe and are a very soft flesh apple. Pretty much all they are good for is applesauce as they are not crisp. But they smell lovely and taste good enough while waiting for the good cortlands, wolf rivers etc.
    We have a couple of newer varieties coming later but I will take a crisp Cortland apple over anything they have or will come up with.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2024
    Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

The workers have finished the shed is gone.
    Now onto the next problem.

upload_2024-7-27_12-57-43.png

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks like a nice little garden spot, Tony. :D

4. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

My wife and daughter and my three grandkids, will be taking a vacation trip this Wednesday by car to Mount Rushmore. I don't know there itinerary other than that. My daughter has planned the whole trip with stops along the way. I am staying behind to take care of the dogs, I don't think I'd be able to do all that walking.
    I was thinking while they're gone I should do something for myself, I could go to a movie I guess. Maybe I'll visit my cousin or take her out to lunch.
    A few months back while going through my stuff I found a card that reminds me of all the Pow Wows I went to. My wife used to be treasurer for nonprofit organization called BACCA, (Babylon Arts Council Cultural Association) they ran a lot of Juried Art Shows, Concerts, and PowWows for the community. I got to see & hear some decent musicians like Lionel Hampton, Marion McPartland, Maynard Ferguson, John Gary, they were past their Prime but still enjoyable. They would set up a table selling cassettes or CDs I would buy one as a token, I get there autograph.
    The Pow Wow was one of my favorite outings. It ran usually Fri - Sun. The tribes came from all over the country, outside as well, we're giving an area in one of our local parks they would set up teepees or campers to spend the night, and vendor tents to sell their products. They would do the tribal dances in an area that had bleaches, I remember one time they taught my grandkids their tribal dance.
    I enjoyed looking at and buying the goods they had for sale, there were polished and unpolished rocks, crystals, handmade Shoals & blankets, dried out alligator claws, shells, trible music etc.
    There was one artist there from Mexico, who specialty was painting religious scenes (mostly crucifix) and landscapes on a peso coin. I purchased quite a few of them and gave them out to family members and Friends who were either religious or enjoyed art. I'm annoyed at myself because I gave my last coin away I did want one for me. I've gone back to the pow wow for a few years after looking for this Artist but never saw him again.

upload_2024-7-29_9-37-3.png
    upload_2024-7-29_9-35-55.png

5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

We have a seedling of a Crape Myrtle we're thinking Of planting there. When it's mature it will block out some of the background like the shed did. It's a good sunny spot, not sure what else Would be nice there, it would have to be a perennial.

6. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

My wife and daughter have been scurrying around all Morning & Afternooon trying to remember everything they need to pack for there trip. They will be leaving around 4:00 a.m. To try and beat the traffic going towards New York City in the early morning.
    I called ZP Radiology to confirm they got the authorization from my insurance company to do the CAT Scan scheduled for this Friday. The approvals are all in for Friday. I will be getting a no contrast scan called Stonehunt, they will be looking for kidney and maybe bladder stones.
    I've been trying to make a list of things I can do while my wife and daughter are on vacation, I want to do things that the likelihood of my falling will be close to zero, because once I fall without help I could be down for years.:)

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You have no idea how jealous I am. I saw Ferguson in the early 1970s.

Tony Page likes this.
  8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

The gang ( wife, daughter, grandkids) left for their vacation at 4:22 a.m.
    I encourage them to have a good time, take things as they come, and just enjoy it, meanwhile internally I was having a mild panic attack, I don't know why, I'm perfectly capable of handling things at home by myself. My wife initially wasn't going but at one point she came to me and said I think I'm going to go with them so I can help with the Grandkids, I thought it was a good idea it might relieve some of her tension also, caused by the Mayhem of the last few years.
    Before they left this morning my wife gave me an extra strong hug, I think she feels a little guilty that I'll be home alone, that might put a little damper on her trip because she is going to worry. Of course I am also worried and concerned about them being safe, we've had such a dark cloud over us. I just want them to come home happy, with stories to tell, and pictures to show.
    I overheard my wife talking to my cousin (lives about 4 MI away) yesterday she asked her to check on me, so I expect I will see my cousin on occasion.
    Well I'm going to get my day started Tia my dog woke me up this morning so she's ready for breakfast.

9. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I had my cat scan this morning I believe they took two shots so it went pretty quick. I wore a pair of lounging pants with no metal so all I had to do was empty my pockets no putting on a gown. I also requested copies of the CT scan on a disc this way I'll have it available for the urologist, however I'm pretty sure he can get whatever information he needs online.
    I talked to my wife they were in Indiana, so far they went to see a covered bridge, and they stopped at Thomas Edison Museum. I don't know where these attractions are located could be Ohio, could be Indiana.
    If wasn't for the dogs occasionally making some noise and wanting some attention I could go bonkers.
    What I did to keep busy is put some money into OTB account ( Off Track Betting). I already put a few bets in now I can look forward to watching them on TV, most times if you held the results upside down I'd be winning.
    Tia has been shedding like crazy,(my dog, not wife), I took her outside earlier with the Furminator Comb, there was enough fur to stuff a pillow.
    Yesterday I vacuumed the house three times and still was fur on the floor.
    Feeling sleepy think I'll take a short nap.

10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Had a thunderstorm and downpour last night my dog Tia was starting to get nervous so I spend time petting and talking to her she got through it fine.
    Spoke to my wife this morning who's on vacation with my daughter and my grandkids they are driving to Mount Rushmore, they are heading to Wisconsin, I told her to get me some cheese.
    Watch an excerpt of the Trump rally, good news he says he's going to remove the federal tax on Social Security, all I can say is it's about time.
    My daughter and her three children lives with us, her husband is living with his family, they agreed to separate for a while. He comes here a few days a week to see her and his kids. I don't get involved with there matters, however it doesn't mean I have to like it. He'll be coming by today because he found their pet axolotl dead the other day when he came to feed it. He and my daughter decided to wait until today to see if it's maybe in the dormant stage, so I expect he'll be here today to check it out and if needed bury it in the backyard and clean out the tank.
    My bug zapper I call it the electric tennis racket wasn't working yesterday I checked it out today and it's not repairable, so I might make a trip to buy another one today. I find it really useful with catching flying bugs that get into the house. I tricked them with my back hand.:rolleyes:

11. John Brunner

I picked up one of those rackets in the "Deal of the Week" aisle at ALDI. I get these insects that look like small, iridescent purple wasps that fly in small swarms. I stopped using the racket because it's not strong enough to kill them...they just smoke & twitch. It makes me feel bad. And it stinks.

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  12. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I just got back from Harbour Freight and pick up another zapper. I've only caught mosquitoes so far. This one uses D batteries. My prior zapper used the AA.
    More powerful?? I wonder if I could take down an intruder?:D I Could be the new superhero ZAPPER!!!:p

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We bought a zapper through Amazon last year on the recommendations of friends here. It is marketed through the UK and doesn't have the protective screen apparently required by U.S. marketers. I don't think it is more powerful, but it IS more effective. It kills everything from the small gnats to the biggest flying things here as it doesn't have the protective screen to keep them away form the hot wires like large bees, wasps, and hornets that may get into the house form time to time. I don't remember the name, but it is more expensive than the Harbor Freight and Walmart ones.

John Brunner and Tony Page like this.
  14. John Brunner

Hmmm....Maybe I need to stop by Harbor Freight.

Tony Page and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

This was definitely a Twilight Zone morning, I got up earlier than usual, I decided to check the New York Lottery site to see the numbers that came in last night I checked them daily even if I don't play. It generally opens with the Powerball numbers, a little circle thing was circling and circling, it was having hard time to open, so I click on the Mega Ball button at first it was circling also and then it opened and the Twilight Zone began the numbers it was showing me were dated for tomorrow's game I was confused thinking I had to go to the calendar see what today date is. I clicked on a different game and it was showing me the wrong numbers and date also. I really was thinking I was going crazy because the dates didn't match what I had in my head, at my age I'm not paying much attention to time maybe I was wrong, worried that my phone was going crazy I clicked off the site and everything went back to normal when I click back on the site I could not repeat what I had just seen. It dawned on me I should have taken a screenshot and play the numbers that it showed me, numbers I do remember that the pot was that 684 million which is not correct for this week, and the Mega Ball number was seven.
    I wish there was a way I can go back and find that window, I can tell you while this was happening and afterwards I had chills and Goosebumps and a scary feeling.
    I'm thinking maybe the site had problems but why would it show numbers when the drawing didn't even take place yet?
    Felt the need to be around somebody other than my dogs so I went out to Walmart then to IHOP for breakfast, then went to BJ's.