Tony's Catch All Journal

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Tony Page, Dec 30, 2023.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh good grief. That must have been particularly horrifying for your family, Tony.

How's Tia today?

Tony Page likes this.
  2. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Tia is doing better. We spent the week giving her medicine and a special diet of bland food. She finish her meds, We've been mixing stomach friendly and her regular dog food, her appetite is less then it was, but she's alert. If I feel she didn't eat enough, she been responding to me hand feeding her. She's not 100% but much better then she was.

My first thought when the fire alarm went off was "oh not again"
    My wife is a wreck, I had to stop in the middle of my last tread, I went back to finish it. We're both tired, things keep happening. I follow Tia when I let her out I just want to make sure she "going" ok. About 20 minutes ago I followed her out, my right side from my waste to my toes was numb, I had to call my wife for help.
    Right now it's a little better, but the muscle above the butt feels cramped.
    I potted 2 Tiny Tim tomato plant and 4 basil plants on Saturday, It was differcult for me but it felt good. I don't know if I'll be able to do the rest of the tomatoes I started.
    Thanks for asking, I hope your doing better, I read your having discomfort in the area of your surgery. May 10 you'll have it check out, your in my thought and prayers.

3. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

About about 3 years ago my wife and I realized Our dog Tia's seizures We're timed perfectly with giving her a chewable flea and tick med. Within a week after administering she'd have a seizure. A visit to the Vet confirm that the treatment could cause seizures. The vet recommended a Flea and Tick collar, with her last episode of seizures I removed the collar immediately, and found out it could also cause seizures.
    I'm posting this for information In case anybody out there has a dog with similar problems.

I went online looking for a natural remedy for flea control.And what pops up first is the original chewable Flea med That started my dog's problems.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's crazy, isn't it?

Tony Page likes this.
  5. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

You bet!!!

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

So does your vet have any recommendations, or are they pretty much stuck with the commercial "Hope it kills the fleas before it kills your pet" solutions?

Tony Page likes this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Is your dog indoor/outdoor? Have you thought about giving her a bath in Dawn dishwashing soap? It seems to be safe for birds.

I didn't think flea combs would work, but they do. One year I tracked fleas in the house and they made a bee line for the cat. Fleas seem to eventually gravitate to the head and neck area.

I made a container with a few drops of Dawn in a couple of cups of water. Dipped the flea comb in the solution. Combed the cat and grabbed the fleas with my thumb against the comb. Dipped the comb in the solution. The fleas drowned because they sunk to the bottom.

You have to nip it in the bud to do it that way and keep at it. It's time consuming. My cat enjoyed the attention.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  8. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Tia is indoors, goes out for potty, or if we are outside. Sometimes she want to go out to chase squirrels, I don't believe she would hurt them, it's like they play a game of hide & seek.
    I have read that dish detergent with water will kill fleas, I don't know if it's a deterrent also. I haven't seen fleas on her, if I do I definitely will try dawn & a flea comb.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Amazon has a flea spray that is mainly mint oil, and that is what we use for our dogs , plus adding brewers yeast tablets to their food. Poodle does not care for it, but Rusty gobbles them down.
    I just give Poodle baths more often in the summer when there are fleas, and use the mint spray on both dogs.

Don Alaska and Tony Page like this.
  10. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

We haven't spoke to the vet about a natural free control system. I've been trying to research it myself. We want to give her some time before We try anything new, also to see how she holds down her food. So far so good.

11. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll have to check that out, I did see one spray that contained lemon oil. I still want to check for side effects. Right now.I'm a little worried about trying anything new.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I think that's the best idea. Since she doesn't have fleas then why subject her to more stuff. Dog's noses are much more sensitive than ours so I wonder about scented sprays and how that might be hard on them. My little Harry never had fleas though he was mostly an inside dog. He was confined to our fenced back yard for a little exploring and we never had any flea/tick problem.

Tony Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Dish detergent in water, in a pan on the floor, with a light over it. The light/warmth draws the fleas and when they hop to it the fall in the pan and die.

14. John Brunner

Do you mean put the dog near the pan, or just have the pan out for the fleas from "wherever" to be attracted to the light?

Tony Page and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Wherever.
    If I still had a dog, I would mix baking soda and diatomaceous earth to slowly massage into his fur. Outside would be best as you don't want to breathe it in and he will shake off. After a few days, you can just brush out the dead little bodies