1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tractor Talk

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by John Brunner, May 20, 2022.

1. Jake Smith

Jake Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yeah; had one here since 1998, it's aged. :) As Marie I think had posted, about my first tractor I had was 1950 Massey Ferguson and I paid 250 dollars for it, got a back injury had to sell it, got $1000.00 for it. :D

It's always nice to invest wisely.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you can text him, tell him to get a large (12"+) funnel while he's out. Filling from a heavy 5 gallon tank can be sloppy without one.

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Will do, I decided I'm going with him, he is too excited to be going ,he may speed to get back. Right now he is looking for his diesel cans. Thanks John.

Jake Smith and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

He just put 5 gallons diesel in the tractor. we have piles of tree's, tree limbs and brush all over the place so its first job will be hauling these to the field. Or maybe pull these vines I see on corner of fence most seem to be muscadine vines, we picked some off a couple months ago.
    May not want to clear them all, we can eat the fruit.

5. Jake Smith

Registered

Ok John, I watched the video, and scarifiers are the hooks that break soil and pull the roots right? I rode the tractor today, and it's great and powerful. My box blade is like that one, but with five hooks; I will take a photo tomorrow to show you. I did some bush hogging, and then went into a bunch of muscadine Vines, big ones and chopped them up good, but there are to many mounds of dirt so I stopped, and will go back in with the box blade tomorrow and hooks; or scariffers, and pull roots and level dirt ar same time. Will let you know how it goes, after that. Thanks again for helping me. :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2024 at 10:06 PM
    Marie Mallery likes this.
  6. Jake Smith

Registered

Here's the pic of the box blade, John, used it on a bunch of muscadine Vines today; they're huge vines.

IMG_20241018_172121648.jpg

7. John Brunner

Sweet! Do those scarifiers raise up/have multiple positions? You can buy replacements if need be. It beats the heck out of trying to pull those vines manually, huh?

Those things are great for refreshing a gravel driveway. They dig up the compacted gravel and then spread it out evenly. The only frustrating thing can be running it over uneven surfaces. As the wheels of my tractor hit the divots & hills on the right-of-way, the rear attachments go up & down. I have to go over the same spot multiple times to gradually level things off to reduce that action. Only something with caterpillar treads remains level & even over undulating terrain.

Jake Smith likes this.
  8. Jake Smith

Registered

Yeah they go up or down with holes for pins and Carter keys. It sure beats the heck out of the time we were having, to do it. Where I used it today is up and down; so doing multiple swipes. Opened that area up a lot, now I have lots of piles of big vines and small one, and brush, will be dealing with. This tractor is awesome even smells new though it's a 1998, looks new. Maybe it's the new tires. :confused:

I love it; and it is making my job way easier. :D

9. Jake Smith

Registered

Pulled a lot of trees today; until one rolled and the broken limb on it, hit me in the head, and knocked me down. It's not bleeding now. "But anyway"; I just wanted to say something about this tractor; it pulls these trees with ease, amazing what power it has, "Loving it". My little truck, couldn't hardly pull them, they're so big and heavy. "King Kubota". :cool:

10. John Brunner

What year & model it is, Jake [sorry, you said 1998 and it's an L2350.] Does it have a manual or a hydrastatic transmission?

I got a B3200. Bought it new in 2010. I couldn't do a fraction of the stuff I do on my property without it. Mine uses very little fuel. We've had one significant snow storm since I've been here where I cleared our right-of-way and a few folks' driveways. With all that forwards & backwards and pushing and lifting and dumping, my best estimate is I burned a gallon an hour.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2024 at 7:14 PM
    Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Jake said he will be back later right now he has a bad headache. I'll be up watching him tonight.
    He said tell you it's an 8-speed manual,2 reverses.

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm glad you're keeping an eye on him, Marie. Have you checked his pupils?

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Yes I did and his knot is now bigger. So I'm keeping a watch on him. Any change what-so-ever and he will go to er one way or the other. I told him he needs a helmet. Beth it is sad he was really enjoying his tractor.

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

:( Aw, that's a shame, Marie. Poor guy. I hope he feels better by tomorrow and can get "back in the saddle."

Jake Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  15. Marie Mallery

Registered

Me too. Jake said tell you he got all the trees off the palm tree. It was one of those that hurt him though.