Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

My grandmother kept up a two-story house with basement and full walk in attic until she was 92. Even then, she didn't move out because of the stairs, but that's another story. I guess it's a crap shoot.

The only muscles I have right now are on the fronts of my legs (quads?). Maybe I should start walking up the stairs backwards, or sideways. lol

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Registered

Someone has come up with a home made vacuum hair cutting device, using 2 CD's, 6 popsicle sticks, a plumbing fitting, and a rubber band.
    LINK

upload_2020-11-29_12-55-43.png

I like this. :cool: .And have all of those things, except the glue and the fitting.

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We're going to need "before" and "after" photos. :D

Von Jones and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Registered

When/If I get it all glued together I'll show you a picture, but it shouldn't look much different than the one above. :D:);)

I'm getting pretty good at using the vacuum and scissors freehand on the front and sides, but that still leaves the back. I'm tired of trying to keep the neckline trimmed. Thinking of trying an undercut. The DIY device might work well on the crown. Something like this

upload_2020-11-29_13-44-35.png

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hah. I meant before and afters of your hair. :D:D:D

My hair hadn't been cut in almost a YEAR, and was down to my shoulder blades. I was Queen of the Grannie Bun for months. While my daughter was here, she chopped off about 8" and now I have a "Prince Valiant" bowl cut. :D At least it's faster to dry now.

Nancy Hart and Von Jones like this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

(12/4/2020)

Forgot to check the weather. Took off to run several errands. Before I got 2 miles away it started pouring. Kept going anyway, because there is a home football game tomorrow. Very difficult driving after dark.

It's over now. No evidence of leaks in the basement. Maybe it didn't rain that hard at home. Maybe the rain just followed me around.

7. Nancy Hart

Registered

[​IMG]

Looked for an old photo to post in the Life in the 1950's thread, ran across this one and got sidetracked. The format of the Ohio license plate is fairly unique to 1950. Don't remember this picture being taken, or even the cat, which supports the theory that you don't remember anything before age 3.67, on average.. (Childhood Amnesia )

[​IMG]

The only interesting thing is the car, so I wanted to be able to identify it. My father always talked about "The old DeSoto." I tried to track down the year, but the shape of the fender, the rim around the headlight, and the 3 vent trim on the side, do not match.

Another photo confirms a 1939 front end.

[​IMG]

This picture had to be taken in 1945, but why stand in front of the license plate? Was he covering up a missing ring around the headlight? Maybe. Maybe not.

"Ohio has required a front plate since 1908,
    except 1944-46 when they wanted to conserve steel for the war effort." It likely had no front plate.

That side trim is 1940. How did that happen?

1939 DeSoto
    upload_2020-12-5_15-8-17.png

1940 DeSoto
    upload_2020-12-5_15-8-46.png

By the way...COLUMBUS, Ohio — Starting July 1, 2020, Ohio law requires only one (rear) license plate. So sad.:D

After all the searching I decided to put the picture here, where I can find it again, maybe look for a different one.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    Joe Riley, Von Jones and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting reading on childhood amnesia. I can relate to not remembering when a photo was taken with me in it, though there I am.

9. Nancy Hart

Registered

What is the earliest you remember of anything?

Joe Riley likes this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Easy peasy. A trip to see our father. I have three vivid memories of my father, a bed, and a Chihuahua. I was 3 or 4 years old. I hadn't started school yet.

And you?

Joe Riley and Nancy Hart like this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Registered

Two flashes. Both doing things I shouldn't have been doing.

Once at a family reunion, about 3.5 yrs old. I didn't want my picture taken for some reason and was fussing about it. As mentioned earlier, pouting and fussing were not allowed.

My cousin and I standing up in the front seat of the pickup while my dad was driving. I was not allowed to do that, but because my cousin did it, my father didn't say anything. However old you can be and stand up straight in the seat and still see out.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
    Joe Riley, Yvonne Smith and Von Jones like this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Registered

12/2/2020 - First hard freeze

12/8/2020

Had an occasion to spend some time in the Green Room. That's the room I spent several hours in scraping paint off the walls and ceiling back in July. This is an area that was scraped fairly well then. It never stops peeling.

upload_2020-12-9_14-4-28.png

The room backs up to the downstairs bathroom and serves no useful purpose. I had thought of knocking out the wall between and combining it with the current bathroom to make a larger bath and walk in closet, in case I have to move downstairs some day.

If I spend a lot of time neatly and carefully covering the walls and ceiling of this room with paneling, or whatever, I would be reluctant to ever tear it all down to remodel the bathroom.

The problem with remodeling the bathroom has always been what to do with 3 full length windows, floor to ceiling, on one wall of this room. Not good for a bathroom or a closet. I don't want to change the outside of the house unless I absolutely have to.

That's what I'm thinking about today.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Nancy Hart

Registered

continued...

You would think after living 38 years in a house, a person could figure out the floor plan, but it took me an hour, and another hour to sketch it, and it's still not right. The bathroom is 6'x6'. Total of 6 windows... Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

This is the best I could come up with after many tries. It requires building a wall, and would mean major rearrangement of plumbing. I'd like a heavy duty exhaust fan over the shower to take out moisture. It would have to vent through the roof. :p

Will mull over it for another 6-12 months. Maybe there is still something I haven't thought of, something outside the box. Or maybe I'll get hit by a bus in the mean time and save all the trouble.

[​IMG]

Ken Anderson likes this.
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Wow, that's a major renovation, Nancy.

I don't spend much time in the bathroom so I'd likely turn the Green Room into a large closet/storage area and leave the bath as is. :D

Von Jones likes this.