Trees And Other Things

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Nancy Hart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I bet you could make a cute outdoor hanging Christmas decoration out of that.

Painting tip for best results:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Faye Fox, Don Alaska and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Registered

Thank you, Frank. That helps a lot. I do know about hair in plaster. I've got a 100 year old house with lots of original plaster. Didn't know they still sold it. If not, maybe Plaster of Paris? Might as well try something to patch that corner, rather than replace the whole piece. There will be other problem areas, no doubt. :rolleyes:
    dap-plaster-of-paris-8-lbs.jpg
    Yes, paneling would be a good back up plan. :oops: :)

Faye Fox and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart
    Be careful with Plaster of Paris. It is (or used to be, it's been years now, for me) sold in several states of "set-up": quick-set, and regular set (or some more "flowery" name). The quick-set can easily get one in trouble.

You are remarkable, if I may say so! Others to whom I've mentioned "hair plaster" have frowned and bore a look as though they had encountered some pervert. (they had, little did they know!).

Anyway, hair in plaster serves a similar function to iron rods in concrete. It strengthens it, by causing the hair strands to be stretched when forces are applied to the product. I would hazard a guess that hair plaster is about 3X stronger than plain. You might consider (ulp)......er,......saving some of your sheared locks and incorporating it, if real hair plaster is unavailable.

I should not have said that, i'll bet! Have a good evenin'!
    Frank

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Nancy, stop and think about what your "closet" looked like, before you started this project. Probably NO ONE, beside you will ever see it!;)

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Good idea....will have to drink....er,,,THINK on that!;)
    [​IMG]

Nancy Hart likes this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

A favorite "Tree" movie of mine is Silent Running with Bruce Dern.

Joan Baez 'Rejoice in the Sun' - Silent Running

Frank Sanoica and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Registered

Frank, that solves the problem of what to leave behind in the closet for the next owner to find. @Beatrice Taylor suggested Twinkies. I'll leave some hair in the plaster! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Nancy Hart

Registered

I'm glad you said probably, because I may decide to turn this closet into a woman cave, install a 360 degree projector and surround sound, to watch musicals, or 2001: Space Odyessy. :D

Faye Fox, Frank Sanoica and Joe Riley like this.
  9. Nancy Hart

Registered

That movie looks good. Bruce Dern is a great character actor, at least in every movie I've ever seen featuring him.

[​IMG]

Faye Fox and Joe Riley like this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart The first movie I saw Bruce Dern in was Hitchcock's "Family Plot". He was good, played a taxi driver. After they walked away from the set in which Dern shot John Wayne in the back, Wayne said to him, "They're gonna hate you for that!". They did!

One of his best portrayals of a nut-case, IMO, was "Black Sunday"; he was a U.S. blimp pilot bent on delivering a bathtub full of nails and explosives into a football stadium filled with spectators. His acting was amazing.

By far, my favorite was "Middle-age Crazy"! As he sat in his hot tub with a neighbor, he said, "Life is complete! Here I am sitting in a tub with hot water shooting up my ass! What more could I want of life!" I almost fell out my chair laughing! Another scene was of him imagining his replacing the school principal addressing the graduation commencement.........the principal had roared "You young people are the FUTURE!". Dern replaced him in the next scene, as the orator. He said, "Young people! Don't believe in the future! That's Boool-shit! Your future will be filled with too many kids and hemorrhoids!" The sound echoed and reverberated from the auditorium walls. Great sense of entertaining.
    Frank

11. Nancy Hart

Registered

The pears are ready to be picked, but I can't cut the tree right now because of this tooth surgery---not supposed to bend over. Great excuse! :)

Three of the bigger ones. These are good sized pears, but most are smaller. Sorry for blurry picture.

[​IMG]

As they fall off the tree, I've been cutting 4 sides off of them and freezing them for the goat. He likes them OK thawed out. Doesn't mean he won't change his mind later.

Rusty, heading to the barn today in anticipation of fresh pears, and eating them through the chain link gate inside the barn. That's the way he prefers to do it. [​IMG] Silly goat. :rolleyes:

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Russet Pears:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

13. Nancy Hart

Registered

I suspect I might be missing a joke? [​IMG]

Notwithstanding (my favorite word), those do look like these pears if they were perfect. Since the tree was never taken care of at all, ours may not be perfect examples.

In Ohio we had a Bartlett pear tree. They would ripen on the tree, thin skin, sweet, and so juicy it would run down your chin. [​IMG] They won't grow here. :( Likely my father just bought whatever the store recommended for the Southeast.

Oh, I think I finally got it! Russet = Rusty. ;) [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Faye Fox, Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"Laura Baring-Gould's 'cast bronze rotting pear' - a small and extraordinarily, surprisingly dense statue with a soul-satisfying shape".
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  15. Nancy Hart

Registered

No rolleyes to help me out here, Joe? [​IMG]

Always wanted a pear like that, that would keep its shape longer than a day. The dent in the side is a nice touch. [​IMG]

Faye Fox and Joe Riley like this.